fasting and p90x

Options
okk im 198lbs and i have nearly completed phase 1 of p90x...
if anyone doesnt know, its a program consisting of 6 hour-long workouts a week, 50% strength training and 50% cardio.
each workout typically burns 500 to 600 calories.

for various reasons, i will be fasting for a month from sunrise to sunset and not drinking water or eating between these times. the fasts will be from about 2.45am - 9.20pm daily.

i plan on breaking my fast with dates and bananas and various fruits and water then doing my workout and then eating dinner 30min after. i am currently eating 1200 calories a day.

do you think its safe to do this? i will eat the same amount of calories for the month. do you think i will lose weight?

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know it is not recommended. I would not do it. I have done P90X and started Insanity.

A surefire way to ruin your fat-burning metabolism is to go long hours between meals. So make sure to eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain proper blood sugar levels.

It is important to follow a regular eating schedule. First, it keeps your blood sugar stable instead of peaking and crashing, which can lead to overeating and a general poor feeling. Second, regular meals will speed up your metabolism by challenging it to keep processing calories, rather than sharing them in a game of "feast or famine.

Timing your preworkout nutrition is important. Try eating a very small meal about two hours before exercising. Exercising immediately after eating will lead to a lack of energy for your workout as your body is focused on digestion.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Most likely you'll be fine. Many Muslim athletes do this during Ramadan and they may feel more fatigued but they are still able to compete and train
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OP, you didn't say why you're fasting, but you still might find this post useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038039-ramadan-fasting-mfp-and-you-a-guide

(Also, eating or not eating every 2-3 hours has no discernible influence on your ability to burn calories or lose fat. Don't worry about that. Meal timings and frequency basically boil down to personal preference - what works for you, allows you to adhere to your plan, and lets you smash your workouts :) )
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak!
    I think it's okay as long as you're not doing the workout prior to breaking your fast. It really depends on your body and how you feel so see how the first week goes and go from there. I did insanity during fast month last year and pretty much did the same as you. Stay hydrated!
    Eat some sort of protein prior to working out and limit the fruit til after the workout.
  • CptCappie
    CptCappie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with teamryan90. My nutritionist and PT would kill me if I pulled a stunt like that. You're going to spike your blood sugar with fruit, then go work out, and then eat? Just doesn't make sense. You'll lose for about two weeks (if you make it that far) and then your body will start eating your own muscle.

If you're going to starve your body, eat a meal, then work out, then have fruit...and more protein. YOU HAVE TO HAVE PROTEIN AND SUGAR after your workout. Don't train hard, train smart.
  • ellehoosen20
    Options
    @xclassiqx

ramadan kareem :)
    yes no way would i do a workout whilst fasting! that would literally kill me.
    so how did u find insanity during ramadan?
    and did you lose?
  • ellehoosen20
    Options
    I know it is not recommended. I would not do it. I have done P90X and started Insanity.

A surefire way to ruin your fat-burning metabolism is to go long hours between meals. So make sure to eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain proper blood sugar levels.

It is important to follow a regular eating schedule. First, it keeps your blood sugar stable instead of peaking and crashing, which can lead to overeating and a general poor feeling. Second, regular meals will speed up your metabolism by challenging it to keep processing calories, rather than sharing them in a game of "feast or famine.

Timing your preworkout nutrition is important. Try eating a very small meal about two hours before exercising. Exercising immediately after eating will lead to a lack of energy for your workout as your body is focused on digestion.

thanks for the advice! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i hope this isn't the advice you're going to take. Plenty of people go long hours between meals and they're just fine. There's an entire eating protocol called Intermittent Fasting that you should check out. I don't follow it, but the people that do seem to be doing well enough.

Follow the Rx of you religion and go ahead and get your workout on.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

This!!

Can you do your workout at night after you've eaten? Go with how you feel - if you feel light headed or just plain lousy while trying to do P90X during Ramadan, then maybe lighten up on the workout? Remember, you have to be okay with whatever you choose (physically and mentally)!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I fast everyday, (Intermittent Fasting) but I make sure to also get adequate protein, fats and total calories, just a shorter feeding window. My performance does not suffer in the slightest. I lift heavy 4-5 times a week and do some sort of cardio, whether steady state or HIT pretty much every day. I have not lost muscle, on the contrary: I am slowly gaining LBM whilst steadily dropping fat. Eating every 2-3 hours will not hinder you either. It is not an either/or proposition as made to be, typically by those who are selling something or buying something. :)
  • alexsandstrom1982
    Options

i hope this isn't the advice you're going to take. Plenty of people go long hours between meals and they're just fine. There's an entire eating protocol called Intermittent Fasting that you should check out. I don't follow it, but the people that do seem to be doing well enough.

I agree with Teamryan90. Going long hours between meals for intense workouts is not safe. It is possible to do but I sure would never recommend it and I am sure no professional would either. I understand your religion but I would put the religion first and do an less intense workout during that month.

It is your body and you only have one. Do what is safe and best for you.
  • alexsandstrom1982
    Options
    I fast everyday, (Intermittent Fasting) but I make sure to also get adequate protein, fats and total calories, just a shorter feeding window. My performance does not suffer in the slightest. I lift heavy 4-5 times a week and do some sort of cardio, whether steady state or HIT pretty much every day. I have not lost muscle, on the contrary: I am slowly gaining LBM whilst steadily dropping fat. Eating every 2-3 hours will not hinder you either. It is not an either/or proposition as made to be, typically by those who are selling something or buying something. :)

Eating every 2 to 3 hours has a huge improvement on me. I usually have a light snack and its is nothing I am buying or selling. It gets my body more focused and energized before my workouts. Everyone is different. I have steadily lost fat eating every 2 to 3 hours. I am actually eating more than I have in my life and still losing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how about eating a little something when the fast is over (like a banana and an egg) then working out and then having the main portion of your meal after the workout.

that's what every muslim person i've known who regularly works out has done. that seems to work for them and they dont have sluggish metabolisms because of it :laugh:
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options

Eating every 2 to 3 hours has a huge improvement on me. I usually have a light snack and its is nothing I am buying or selling. It gets my body more focused and energized before my workouts. Everyone is different. I have steadily lost fat eating every 2 to 3 hours. I am actually eating more than I have in my life and still losing.

Re-read what I wrote. I was not saying those that eat every 2-3 hours are likely selling or buying something, just the ones that are stating that is the ONLY way and the alternative will "slow metabolism, hinder performance, cause muscle loss" etc. blah blah. They must be selling something or buying into hype because the science and application show them to be incorrect.
  • ellehoosen20
    Options

yeahh i agree, i have read plenty regarding intermittent fasting and exercise, even bodybuilders do it.
    i feel better about doing it now.
    this page cleared up a lot of my thoughts: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

i guess the only change i will make is to include some protein whilst breaking my fast.
    thanks to you to
  • ellehoosen20
    Options
    how about eating a little something when the fast is over (like a banana and an egg) then working out and then having the main portion of your meal after the workout.

that's what every muslim person i've known who regularly works out has done. that seems to work for them and they dont have sluggish metabolisms because of it :laugh:

great idea, i plan on having a date or two and some banana and some kind of protein then working out then having a shower and then eating.