It "Doesn't Work"

Options
At least, according to these kind of suspicious infographics:

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/these-infographics-show-the-problems-with-calorie-count-1771540530

I suspect they're selling something, because a lot of people here would disagree.

skb35wbzspojobxo31sx.png

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    #2 reminds me of the people who ask how to calculate calories for food they vomit up after being sick.
  • johnjacoby180
    johnjacoby180 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes, they are selling their program. Www.precisionnutrition.com
    I'll continue to count my calories as best as I can.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh brother. It looks like a "diet coaching" web site. I tried to find out how much it costs to sign up but you have to email them and they email you back. LOL no thanks.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I started pointing out all the BS, but why bother. Unfortunately a lot of people will buy whatever they're selling.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Because using your hand as a measure is soooooo much more exact that using a cup measure.

FFS.
    Here comes "Weigh everything." (I was trying not to say it but couldn't hold it in. )

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    We know calories in are best estimates with possible error. So are calories out. If you stick with this long enough and make adjustments, you'll find a balance that works for you. And if you buy their coaching, you'll go through the same process, but with a lighter wallet.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How come I've lost weight while counting calories? According to this info graphic, i should have gained weight.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Calorie doesn't work, so let me sell you some other method to measure your portions....which is pretty much the same thing.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They can file some of this under "No *kitten*, Sherlock". Other than that, there is a margin of error no matter what you do. I'm surprised, as others have stated, there was no mention of a food scale. No method of weight loss is going to be perfect and there are too many variables to the human body. That being said, calorie counting is probably the most precise method one could use for weight loss. The sad part is people who claim calorie counting "didn't work" for them would see something like this and run with it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Well they are kind of right. It may be misleading, but sizes of things do differ. ie: sweet potatoes
    But, if you are weighing your food, game over, because that is efficient and precise. It does come down to calories in, calories out. This method is trying to sell you something that you can do yourself.

When it comes to each of us individually, you have to use guidelines as a basis, and find what actually works for you. We are all, at least slightly, different. What works for someone else, may, or may not work for you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Oh well.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    we accept it is not an exact science, because we know that in averaging things out it works. Some are higher, some are lower, it is the aggregate result we care about.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Although, in a roundabout way that's a good example of why we should be weighing in grams.