Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spaghetti squash

2»

Replies

• CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,856 Member
    I baked it, scrap it out and let cool. I then freeze it in individual portions with marinara sauce. When I want to take it to work for lunch. I put it in one of those mini slow cookers to heat up. At that point, I add some canned sliced mushrooms, a little extra spices and eat.

Is it not the right season for spaghetti squash to be in the stores in the US? My local market never carries it, so I usually get mine at Walmart. I've been to two Walmarts in the past week and neither had any, or had a place for them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I bake it whole because it is easier to cut after it is cooked. It works well with a little butter and cream cheese and salt.
  • kellyalene94
    kellyalene94 Posts: 1 Member
    I cut it into rings, drizzle with evoo, s&p, and bake at 350°F until the strands come apart easily. Fry some bacon, sautée onion, mushrooms, and kale. Shred the squash rings with a fork, break apart any clumps, and if it isn't done yet the microwave helps
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    i cut in half, smear some butter inside and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it. Bake in the over or microwave till it's soft when poked with a fork and the inside pulls out easily like strings. I don't care for it much with spaghetti sauces and such on it, but I like it with the butter and cinnamon and sugar.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    What I usually do:

1. Buy spaghetti squash.
    2. Cut in half and roast in the oven for what seems like a lifetime.
    3. Remove gross mush from the center. Try not to get too turned off by the smell.
    4. Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash out. Get excited because it actually looks pretty good.
    5. Top squash with favorite meaty pasta sauce and parmesan cheese. Ah, that smell is much better.
    6. Take a bite. Take another bite.
    7. Throw the entire thing away and eat something else, because ew.

I seriously can't get that stuff to taste good. I guess I'm not a spaghetti squash kind of girl. Now I stick to zucchini "noodles" or broccoli slaw if I absolutely can't fit real pasta into my macros/calories. Carba Nada is a decent substitute as well, but I have to get it online.

I've never heard of roasting the spaghetti squash w/ all the seeds & pulp still in it. I wonder if that has anything to do with the off-putting smell you mention.

OP - I love to stuff spaghetti squash with a sauté of black beans, red peppers, garlic, onions, jalapeno, lime zest & spices. Add in the roasted spaghetti squash strands, then stuff into the hollowed shells. Top with Parmesan or cheddar cheese and fresh herbs, heat through in oven & serve. It makes a very filling, fresh & low calorie dinner.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What I usually do:

1. Buy spaghetti squash.
    2. Cut in half and roast in the oven for what seems like a lifetime.
    3. Remove gross mush from the center. Try not to get too turned off by the smell.
    4. Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash out. Get excited because it actually looks pretty good.
    5. Top squash with favorite meaty pasta sauce and parmesan cheese. Ah, that smell is much better.
    6. Take a bite. Take another bite.
    7. Throw the entire thing away and eat something else, because ew.

I seriously can't get that stuff to taste good. I guess I'm not a spaghetti squash kind of girl. Now I stick to zucchini "noodles" or broccoli slaw if I absolutely can't fit real pasta into my macros/calories. Carba Nada is a decent substitute as well, but I have to get it online.

I've never heard of roasting the spaghetti squash w/ all the seeds & pulp still in it. I wonder if that has anything to do with the off-putting smell you mention.

OP - I love to stuff spaghetti squash with a sauté of black beans, red peppers, garlic, onions, jalapeno, lime zest & spices. Add in the roasted spaghetti squash strands, then stuff into the hollowed shells. Top with Parmesan or cheddar cheese and fresh herbs, heat through in oven & serve. It makes a very filling, fresh & low calorie dinner.

Ditto! I think the smell may be from that. If you scoop out the gunk and seeds with a spoon before roasting, it may eliminate that and it's probably easier to get it all off.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    DEFINITELY needs butter or oil and salt and pepper after you've scraped it all out.

Then it's super delicious with spaghetti sauce and meatballs, or little button mushrooms :).

My SO likes it cooked until it's super mushy, but it's also not bad still crunchy.