decreasing sodium

Options
What do you guys do/eat to decrease your sodium intake?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, flavored with water packets.

I don't pay attention to sodium anymore. So many foods have it, and I'm not wearing a bikini on stage so ... water weight me away.
  • clarkcompanero
    clarkcompanero Posts: 1,919 Member
    Options
    Spices like pepper help. Replacing salty flavor with spice ia amazing. Friend me and you can see my diary
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is hard to avoid. It is in so many foods, even things that aren't that processed. However, trying to limit processed food can help, it is really used as a preservative in most canned goods. Like Martyqueen said, I just kind of ignore it for the most part since it is everywhere.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Avoid the processed foods. Eat fresh veggies.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do/eat to decrease your sodium intake?

Prelog my food and see how much sodium is in it. Make a different choice if something is too high.
    Cook so I control the salt added.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Keeping salt down has been the easiest for me. I don't add it to meals and most of my meals I cook from scratch so then there's no added salt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't worry about sodium since I don't have hypertension and as an active person, I require more than the average person (especially considering sodium is an electrolyte). I do tend to eat whole foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish), where possible which keeps my sodium at 4000mg or below. Eating foods high in magnesium and potassium, while drinking plenty of water, can help offset the affects of sodium as well.

• TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    definitely cut down on processed/prepackaged foods (lunch meat is the hardest for me because it's so convenient) but also cheese apparently has a lot of sodium so I usually stick to 1-2 oz per day. Also drink more water on days that I know I'm going high (hellooooo Chipotle!)