Should I be logging walking to/from work?

Options
Wophie
Wophie Posts: 126 Member
Morning everyone! Quick question that's been bothering me for some time - is it reasonable to log my walk to/from work? I do a total of 60 minutes walking at a moderate to brisk pace a day (depending on how late I am for my train). The walk is fairly hilly and I'm usually a sweaty mess by the time I reach the office.

I should also add that I work out every other day on a fairly steep stair climber for around 30 minutes (working to increase) on top of this.

Note: I'm 21, 5ft weighing 10 st 11lbs

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You can choose to either log it - most people would. Or set your basic activity level higher to compensate. Whichever you do the important bit is not to double count it and if you log it separately be cautious of some of the calorie burn estimates.
  • Wophie
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    You can choose to either log it - most people would. Or set your basic activity level higher to compensate. Whichever you do the important bit is not to double count it and if you log it separately be cautious of some of the calorie burn estimates.

I usually log the pace slightly slower that I feel I actually walked, just to make sure I don't over estimate :smile:
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can always use Nike+Running and it'll be a bit more efficient. They track any elevated areas as well as your pace. I think MFP only documents the steps.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »

I usually log the pace slightly slower that I feel I actually walked, just to make sure I don't over estimate :smile:

The calculators here do tend to be inflated for most people. My suggestion would be to log it and eat about half back. Then track your progression over time. If you are losing at the expected rate, then you have it just right! If too slow, eat fewer of the calories back, and if too fast eat more. Progress over time is the best indicator of whether or not what you are doing is right. Have some patience though it takes time to get accurate data. I recommend using a weight trending app such as HappyScale, Libra, or TrendWeight (TW works with FitBit, but you can sign up for a free FitBit account even if you don't have one).
  • Wophie
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

The calculators here do tend to be inflated for most people. My suggestion would be to log it and eat about half back. Then track your progression over time. If you are losing at the expected rate, then you have it just right! If too slow, eat fewer of the calories back, and if too fast eat more. Progress over time is the best indicator of whether or not what you are doing is right. Have some patience though it takes time to get accurate data. I recommend using a weight trending app such as HappyScale, Libra, or TrendWeight (TW works with FitBit, but you can sign up for a free FitBit account even if you don't have one).

That's a good idea, thank you! I'm already fairly cautious about eating all my workout calories back (unless I can tell my body needs it). I've only done one week of weigh ins so far though, so I'm still working out what works for my body.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That's a good idea, thank you! I'm already fairly cautious about eating all my workout calories back (unless I can tell my body needs it). I've only done one week of weigh ins so far though, so I'm still working out what works for my body.

Sounds like you have some of it figured out. Remember that weight fluctuates as well, so even if you don't have a loss one week, that doesn't mean to panic and drop your calories. Sodium, TOM, and a new workout routine can all cause water retention which will drop off in time. So stay patient, stay persistent, stay consistent, and be kind to yourself along the way.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would count that as part of your lifestyle/daily activity and not log it, but instead set MFP to "lightly active" instead of sedentary. It's a lot easier to do it that way as you only have to worry about logging dedicated exercise that way. I have an hour roundtrip walking commute as well and before I had my Fitbit that's what I did - set my daily activity to "lightly active" and logged only time at the gym and runs over and above that normal daily walk - and it was simpler and was reasonably accurate for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would download mapmywalk and use that to decide if it's worth it.

or

If it's part of your everyday (and I mean everyday activity not just summer time) I would add it to my activity level.

Either way you get more calories to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just account for that in my activity level setting.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options

This is awesome and is all that needs to be said. Whether something is exercise or daily routine is up to you and a kajillion responses to a forum post aren't going to help any more than this one post.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I walk during my lunch break and home from work most days but not all, so I have to leave my activity level at sedentary. I do log the walking, mostly to keep me motivated to walk more. But I've found that since MFP tends to overestimate calorie burn, its best if I don't eat back any of the walking calories. And half of the calories from high intensity workouts. Works for me!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't count my walk to work or walks other places. Walking is part of living a normal healthy active lifestyle and isn't exercise IMO.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a fitbit, http://amzn.to/1SV3MsL it connects to MFP so you don't need to do anything to additionally add the walks, I also like that it tracks your sleep. I don't like wearing it on my arm so got this one which I attach to my bra during the day and put it in a cloth wristlet they sent while sleeping.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I don't count my walk to work or walks other places. Walking is part of living a normal healthy active lifestyle and isn't exercise IMO.

WOW. Walking IS actually exercise. OP, I log all walking because no two days are the same. I walk a lot because I use public transport but my activity level is set to "sedentary".
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Sorry you feel this way. But walking is considered the best form of low impact exercise. Excersise isn't all about finishing in a pool of sweat. Its getting up and moving your body.

As an avid walker I am slightly insulted by your comment as I am sure other walkers are too.

I will leave this here

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Walking-Your-steps-to-health
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do and have done since day one. I walk just over 50 minutes each way and it is a brisk walk that, like you state, makes me rather sweaty. I start logging my walks when they are over 15 minutes, for no other reason than that is my rule of thumb. Lost most of my weight doing it that way.

I do agree with @shortcdngirl in every way. I find the comment that it would not be excersise quite condescending.

Walking is a great low impact workout. I am an avid walker (long distance too). I lost most of my weight doing it that way,. Walking was until recently pretty much my main form of excersise.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What I do, isn't necessarily a recommendation; just an explanation or idea. I don't count walking/running, if there're apart of my chores; such as: walking to buy groceries (which I only do, once or twice; a week), running to get my mail & I have my normal daily activities: Sedentary. Since I am unable to run long distances, I don't do it for exercise & I'd only walk for exercise, if it's fun; such as: my apartment complex'll be, installing mile markers; along it's sidewalks. For me, it's a visual incentive. Any calories I gain through walking/running chores, I just apply it to the uncertainly of the calories of whatever food; that I'm unable to calculate (which I don't consume often).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I first started out I logged the walking or cycling part of my commute for accuracy - mainly so when I got a lift or worked from home I didn't claim calories I didn't earn.

After a while I realised that such tiny deviations from normal life have very little impact over the course of a week and just completely lost in the "noise" of food logging and exercise logging inaccuracy over the course of a month or more. So I just rolled up what I assumed to be an average and bumped my calorie goal up manually.

The better counter argument in favour of logging your walking is if it motivates you to walk more then that can only be a good thing.

• Wophie
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I've now changed my activity level to sedentary as most of you have suggested, and will continue to log my walking. I'm already starting to wonder if I was over eating due to the way I was doing it before!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Sorry you feel this way. But walking is considered the best form of low impact exercise. Excersise isn't all about finishing in a pool of sweat. Its getting up and moving your body.

As an avid walker I am slightly insulted by your comment as I am sure other walkers are too.

I will leave this here

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Walking-Your-steps-to-health

I really meant I do not consider walking exercise for myself. I live in a city and walk everywhere daily so for me it's not exercise. I also don't count riding my bike for transportation purposes as exercise. I'm sorry for offending you and that you took my comment so personally.