Non grain carbs??

Options
So I have taken up distance running training to train for a 1/2 marathon down the road. I have told that I need my carbs up for this training.

I am celiac and find now being off all gluten that most grains if I have them too often are causing severe bloating and pain.

So the question is what are the best sources of carbs for non grain requirements.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Rice! My dad is a celiac and an endurance athlete. He eats a ton of rice, and also lots of quinoa and corn pasta.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Squash, Potatoes, Beans, Quinoa has no gluten. are all good choices.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Second (or third) fruits and vegetables!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Some of your beans have a lot of carbs and also have a fair amount of protein.
  • vec2013
    vec2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, bananas, berries, brown rice, yogurt, oatmeal, and tomato sauce are all great for adding carbs.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Rice! My dad is a celiac and an endurance athlete. He eats a ton of rice, and also lots of quinoa and corn pasta.

Yeah my body cannot process these anymore which is my new challenge.

I eat at least 10 cups of veggies a day and still come no where near my target. Bangs head.
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options
    Going to work on adding more beans. My body seems ok with that so far.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I eat at least 10 cups of veggies a day and still come no where near my target. Bangs head.

That's really odd and unfortunate. Since there is no gluten whatsoever in rice, corn or quinoa, typically they're well-tolarated staples in a celiac diet. I guess keep packing in the fruits and vegetables... maybe try some legumes.
  • mumtoonegirl
    Options

That's really odd and unfortunate. Since there is no gluten whatsoever in rice, corn or quinoa, typically they're well-tolarated staples in a celiac diet. I guess keep packing in the fruits and vegetables... maybe try some legumes.

A very good friend of mine is severe celiac worse I have ever seen. She has the same problem. She told me since I am mainly grain free adding them back in after a long gap might cause the bloating. I will try more combos.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Going to work on adding more beans. My body seems ok with that so far.

Maybe eat a lot of peas?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am mostly grain-free. I get basically all my carbs from the following things:

Vegetables (mostly leafy greens, peppers, onions, and varieties of squash)
    Fruit
    Sweet potatoes
    Chocolate
    Peanut butter
    Ice cream
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend uses chickpea flour to make tortillas for sandwiches, since he can't tolerate most grains either. It's in the bean/pea family, and you said you're tolerating them so far, so that might be an option for you. And of course there's hummus and falafel, two of the best uses of chickpeas ever.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, and lentils are all other carb options you might want to explore.
  • flsusi
    flsusi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Would lentils work for you?
    I use them as carb source before long runs.
    but I dont know much about nothing, so I dont know if that would fit your diet
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and bananas!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    So I have taken up distance running training to train for a 1/2 marathon down the road. I have told that I need my carbs up for this training.

I am celiac and find now being off all gluten that most grains if I have them too often are causing severe bloating and pain.

So the question is what are the best sources of carbs for non grain requirements.

Fruits, veggies, sugars.

Pick what you like.