Juices & smoothies - how to calculate calories?

Options
Hi guys,
I'm doing fresh fruit & veg juices and smoothies every now and then (purely bcz my husband wouldn't eat them otherwise at least this way he drinks them) and I also like to have it every now and then. Now I'm stuck trying to calculate how many calories my glass contains ... Does juicing removes some calories or not?
Before you start saying that juices and smoothies are full of sugar and no fiber, let me stop you here ... I take psyllium husks with it to replenish lost fiber and like I said its the only way to get my husband to consume fruit and veg and I'd rather he gets sugar from fruit that chocolates lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've never juiced before, but I'm guessing you have bits left over that are not added to the juice. I'd weigh the fruit & veg before juicing and weigh what's left, then subtract what's left from the original weight. (if that makes sense)
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yep that makes sense! Thank you!
    Today I just went on to find raw juice on mfp database for certain fruit and veg and guesstimated. I made a smoothie with frozen strawberries and Frozen mango so not totally fiberless plus I took 2 psyllium husks capsules and I feel full, I also had 2 medium sized protein pancakes (bulk powders mix) and zero calorie butterscotch syrup - and it filled me up like no other breakfast, it was over 500cal including tassimo latte but my daily allowance is 1700.
    Will have to try subtracting and see what happens
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are calculators online for juice nutrition. Blends you just add the ingredients. Juicers put ~60% of the weight into the juice and ~40% into the waste. Soluble fibre passes through the screen, as does some insoluble.

https://juicerecipes.com/build/https://juicerecipes.com/build/ is an example
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you yarwell