weight lifting question

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm a noob. I have some questions.
    I am 27 year old female. I weigh 210 lbs and my height is 5.3 ft.

My question is.
    I read that more reps with low weights mean cutting and few reps with heavy weights mean bulking.

What if I lift heavy with few reps but at deficit.

Would I be able to lose weight or fat?

Thanks a lot.:)

I like a quote from Dan John, a well known strength and conditioning coach. The quote is "just show up". Do the work on your diet (which will account for the majority of your weight loss) and pick a strength training program that ensures working all bodyparts. Train hard, but not so hard you can't brush your hair on a regular basis.

Do these things consistently, maybe adding some cardio and you will see results. Showing up on a regular basis is the key. While you can tweak things, showing up is what will get your best results.

Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. So basically. If I am eating at deficit I will be losing weight either I'm doing cardio or weight training.

I try n add at least 1 hour of medium paced slow walking daily. While I lift 3 days a week. One arm day. One core day and one legs day. 40 min each approximately. With 20 to 30 minutes warm up n cool down.

I am using a beginner program for training available at jefit. It's been a couple of weeks. I am increasing resistance every two weeks.

My macros are set to 40 carbs 30 fats and 30 protein. (Percentages).

I eat around 1500 to 1700 cals daily. I also try n reach at least 80 percent of my protein goal.

The question is. As per my logging chart and deficit that I am creating 500 to 700 cals daily. I should have lost around 6 lbs. But I am maintaining. But I've lost my 10 inches over all. I must be gaining muscle that's why scale is not budging. Is this normal? And how long does it take for obese people like me to get the scale moving.

You are eating more than you think. A lot more.
    Remember, exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. You are not losing because you are eating at maintenance. Use a food scale, and weigh everything you eat to see where you are underestimating. Do not look for exercise that will help, unless you plan to become overall very physically active.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys. So basically. If I am eating at deficit I will be losing weight either I'm doing cardio or weight training.

I try n add at least 1 hour of medium paced slow walking daily. While I lift 3 days a week. One arm day. One core day and one legs day. 40 min each approximately. With 20 to 30 minutes warm up n cool down.

I am using a beginner program for training available at jefit. It's been a couple of weeks. I am increasing resistance every two weeks.

I eat around 1500 to 1700 cals daily. I also try n reach at least 80 percent of my protein goal.

The question is. As per my logging chart and deficit that I am creating 500 to 700 cals daily. I should have lost around 6 lbs. But I am maintaining. But I've lost my 10 inches over all. I must be gaining muscle that's why scale is not budging. Is this normal? And how long does it take for obese people like me to get the scale moving.

Remember, exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. You are not losing because you are eating at maintenance. Use a food scale, and weigh everything you eat to see where you are underestimating. Do not look for exercise that will help, unless you plan to become overall very physically active.

Have you guys heard of Occam's razor? It's a theory that suggests that the simplest explanation is very often the right one. Here we have someone who feels that she's eating in a deficit, isn't losing much weight, has lost a lot of inches and has recently started weight training. Now despite what you'll all shout about about women not being able to build muscle in a deficit (what about newbie gains?), the evidence seems to point to either building of muscle or water retention due to lifting, and most likely the former, given the inch loss. Don't cling on so hard to 'theories' that you neglect your common sense.

• Wombat468
    Options
    Ps I'm in pretty much the same boat, and my biceps and quads have been rock hard and bulging for the last month. That (whether it's water or muscle) is the explanation why the scale has hardly moved but my clothes (waist, stomach etc) are looser.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Have you guys heard of Occam's razor? It's a theory that suggests that the simplest explanation is very often the right one. Here we have someone who feels that she's eating in a deficit, isn't losing much weight, has lost a lot of inches and has recently started weight training. Now despite what you'll all shout about about women not being able to build muscle in a deficit (what about newbie gains?), the evidence seems to point to either building of muscle or water retention due to lifting, and most likely the former, given the inch loss. Don't cling on so hard to 'theories' that you neglect your common sense.

She is over 200 lbs, supposedly eating about 1500 calories and maintaining. One explanation is she is maintaining insane amounts of water, which means she needs to see a dr urgently. Without other symptoms, it is not very probable. Plus, she would not have lost inches. The other explanation, the most likely one, is that the 1500 calories are actually 2500. She did not build 6 lbs of muscle in two weeks of weight training.
  • Wombat468
    Options
    So why the inch loss?
  • Wombat468
    Options
    Also, retaining 6lb of water is perfectly possible. I can do that if I eat badly for a weekend.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, the scale is not moving, and you've just started resistance training then it's more likely that you're retaining fluid.

Now you COULD be eating more than you're logging -- that's pretty common -- but I'd give it another couple of weeks before making any conclusions about that.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hey guys thanks a lot for your input. I own a food scale and I almost always weigh whatever I eat. But I am careless from past week. High levels of sodium might be the cause. I'll fix this and will come back.

The above mentioned article is very helpful too. Thanks a lot