Scared into starting again

Options
mkdm291
mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
Well, here I am. Beginning again. I've done this countless times before. I begin by doing really well, feeling great, seeing results... Then life gets in the way and the comfort of food and wine overtake the strides I made in my health. I literally can't do it anymore.
The other day my husband admitted to me that he has been having chest pains. My world stopped. Chest pains? We're 41. Sure, a bit overweight, but "all around healthy".
Then, I thought of that "all around healthy" thought. Are we really? As I sip my third glass of Pino Grigio and he eats a large piece of apple pie that he baked "just because". No. That's not healthy. Our children deserve better.
Thankfully, he saw a cardiologist and his heart is fine. Although there is a cyst in the valve near his throat that needs further examination. Damn.... We are in our early 40's. Too young for major medical concerns. We have two young boys that need mom and dad healthy for a long time.
So here I am.... I will step on the scale on May 1st. I am assuming somewhere in the high 140's in pounds, and I am 5'4. Granted, while this considered overweight, I can recognize it is possible. I carry my weight in my belly and upper body.
I debated nutrisystem - seriously. I had the program cued on my computer and my credit card entered. All I needed to do was hit submit. I stopped. My grand total was $345 for one month. I can think of a lot of other things to do with that money. I did this before, I'll do it again. Every time I want to go off track, I will look at my children.
Therefore, I am putting the wine bottles away. Cleaning out the fridge and cabinets of my junk food. I'm ready. I could use some more friends because I need the encouragement this time around. I really want to do this........ Please feel free to friend me.
Also.... any work lunch or dinner options that actually taste good, but diet friendly are also appreciated.
If you read all of this, thanks. It was helpful to write it all down.

Replies

• Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Starting again too. Lost 20 pounds two years ago and took two years to regain all but 3 of those pounds. Impressive huh! Will send a friend request.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've sent you a friend request - so much of what you said resonated with me. I'm 40 in June, happily married with a 16 month old boy who is the light of our lives. On the face of it, we are also 'all round healthy' but I'm starting to look beyond the face of it and look at the sugar content, fat content - what we really eat. And when I can't be bothered, I think of our boy - I want us to be around for all of his major life events and whilst there are so many factors we can't control, our diet is one of them. I'm 130lbs and 5ft tall (when wearing heels :wink: ) so there isn't a massive amount to lose. For me, it is more about the quality that we eat and overall health. Happy to provide support through your journey!
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words! We can all relate. I look forward to this journey. May 1st weigh in. Ready to roll!
  • melly_fluous
    melly_fluous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Similar issue here. I'm 42 and am suddenly struggling with high blood pressure. It's terrifying.

About Nutri-System...be glad you saved your money! I tried out one of those one week box kits a couple of months back and the food was disgusting.
  • julistehr
    julistehr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you! Is love to be friends