First week: 5lb loss; should I be excited or worried?

Options
I do employ some good fitness principals, such as doing my cardio early in the morning and follow with a 2.5 hour fast to take advantage of insulin depletion; and I'm a big guy (254 as of this morning) it seems alot. Especially considering I've been trying to about 3 months, but this is the week I went as far as logging food (I've been REALLY reluctant to do that) but the 5+ lbs seems like way too much.
Thoughts?
...and feel free to add me.

Replies

• mady1414
    mady1414 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Five pounds is a lot but maybe you were way more focused on your food and serving sizes since you knew you would have to log everything you ate! Versus maybe not paying so much attention to it weeks before. I wouldn't be too worried just don't get discouraged if every week isn't the same!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The loss will slow down, and it is not unusual for people to see a loss like this the first week. Especially for people with a lot to lose.
    Weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat and drink and staying in your calorie budget is highly recommended so that you know what your CICO truly is. Very important because in order to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you burn.
    Perhaps in the previous 3 months you were eating more than you realize. How much did you lose in the previous 3 months?

I lost 40 pounds in the first 8 weeks, but I had a lot to lose. It slowed down to about 2 pounds/week after that. I have been on maintenance for over 2 years.

P.S. Use it as a motivator. Success is exciting!
  • LainaLove25
    LainaLove25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree! Congratulations! Being focussed always makes for better results! This is actually the first discussion I have read on here and I have to say...I really think having this option to communicate about the journey is an awesome factor! Definitely positive and motivational. I hope you continue to achieve the results you are working for! :)
  • kjrinkus
    kjrinkus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Its awesome to lose 5 pounds. And I applaud your early morning cardio, I know how tough that is, been doing it for years. But keep this in mind, when you sleep, respiration alone depletes your body of it's water. That's why we always wake up so thirsty. But if your like me, I jump out of bed and on go the running shoes. If I don't drink before or after I run, I can, like you, lose up to 5 pounds when standing on the scale. Don't let that trick you into thinking you really lost fat. Because like me you will get discouraged as soon as you have a glass of water and it comes right back on. Remember don't weigh yourself every day and when you do weigh yourself make sure it is at the same time during the day each time you do it. As for logging food and tracking calories like this site allows, it's the only way you know you are truly serious about loosing weight. Don't stop logging your food and keep up the good work!
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For the first weeks it's normal to lose more weight than the average weekly loss, it will slow down and for your size I would say 5lbs sounds like you should be very excited! Good job! :) Make sure you don't get discouraged when it slows down, because that is also normal :)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    kjrinkus wrote: »
    Its awesome to lose 5 pounds. And I applaud your early morning cardio, I know how tough that is, been doing it for years. But keep this in mind, when you sleep, respiration alone depletes your body of it's water. That's why we always wake up so thirsty. But if your like me, I jump out of bed and on go the running shoes. If I don't drink before or after I run, I can, like you, lose up to 5 pounds when standing on the scale. Don't let that trick you into thinking you really lost fat. Because like me you will get discouraged as soon as you have a glass of water and it comes right back on. Remember don't weigh yourself every day and when you do weigh yourself make sure it is at the same time during the day each time you do it. As for logging food and tracking calories like this site allows, it's the only way you know you are truly serious about loosing weight. Don't stop logging your food and keep up the good work!
    I didn't consider the water. My normal weigh in routine is cardio->shower->weigh in and during cardio I have between 8 to 16 ounces of water. Didn't do my cardio this morning because daughter spilled water on my treadmill and I wanted to give it time to dry to avoid any water movement JIC.
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great job on losing 5 lbs on the first week. In my experience that is normal, however if you over a longer period of time keep losing 5 lbs or more a week, then it could be an issue. I think the general consensus is no more than 2.5 lbs a week in the long run. Congratulations on a good start. Keep it up :smile:
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Be excited for yourself. Its a great first step. Just remember that weight loss slows down so don't get your expectations too high to do that every week. The first week or two, you lose excess water weight. An average of 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy pace. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    that is not too much. It could be some water weight too. Logging food is especially important. I can lose 5lbs overnight after a cheat meal, so don't over think it. 5lbs in a week is not too much.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I do employ some good fitness principals, such as doing my cardio early in the morning and follow with a 2.5 hour fast to take advantage of insulin depletion; and I'm a big guy (254 as of this morning) it seems alot. Especially considering I've been trying to about 3 months, but this is the week I went as far as logging food (I've been REALLY reluctant to do that) but the 5+ lbs seems like way too much.
    Thoughts?
    ...and feel free to add me.

It's not uncommon to lose a lot the first few weeks of cutting back like you are. And the fact you have more to lose means you can easily lose a lot at a time at first. The first 10 lbs IMO are more water weight than anything. Either way you are doing great! Keep up the good work.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    DennisA70 wrote: »
    Great job on losing 5 lbs on the first week. In my experience that is normal, however if you over a longer period of time keep losing 5 lbs or more a week, then it could be an issue. I think the general consensus is no more than 2.5 lbs a week in the long run. Congratulations on a good start. Keep it up :smile:

Actually .5 lbs loss per week is more the norm. Anywhere from .5-2 lbs per month is what is recommended by most weight loss companies and doctors.