Open diary to public?

Options
2»

Replies

• AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Open. I like constructive criticism and advice is always welcome. Its easier to keep open in case I need help with something. I haven't had a bad comment yet, but if I did I tell them where to stick it.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Mine shows closed, but I don't actually track on MFP anymore. I went old school at now do it with pen and paper :)
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I like to look and see what other people are eating. It helps me get ideas, but I would never say anything to anyone about their diary without them asking for input

How do you look at other people's diaries using the app?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I like to look and see what other people are eating. It helps me get ideas, but I would never say anything to anyone about their diary without them asking for input

Click on their name. Either from your friend's list, or the forum.

I leave it open. Food isn't exactly a private affair. I eat in public all the time, so I don't really care if people see my logs. It's also nice to have examples for people asking questions about appropriate food. I've never caught any flak for it, and I would ignore anyone who DID criticize my eating (cause I don't care).
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Danimri84 wrote: »
    I keep mine private. I don't use a food scale, and in the past when I'd ask a question, I'd immediately get crucified for my "inaccurate logging". I lost 70lbs using MFP without a food scale, I'm fairly sure I can do it again. Of course if I encounter an issue, I'd look into getting one.

Mine's closed for this exact reason. I don't weigh my food and never have. Also lost 70 lb in the past. Although I did gain 10 lbs over winter due to not caring much, I lost that weight again doing the same thing and am now maintaining.

Also, I eat a ridiculous amount of cheese. I don't want people thinking I'm a weirdo! :wink:
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Private, because it's nobody's business but my own what I eat

^^Ditto this.
    I don't need the advice or aggravation (both of which I got plenty of which was unsolicited) from people, when my diary was open.
    I managed to lose over 1/2 my current body weight and have kept it off for over two years. I guess I am doing ok.
    I have been on MFP for over 4 years and never once felt the need to know what other people were eating.
    I got plenty of healthy recipes, tips, and ideas from a lot of different web sites, which everyone has access to.

It has been my experience that you have to find out what works, and is successful for you, it is not the same for everyone.

Yes to both of these^^^
    I've had my diary both open and closed and I prefer closed.
    In the past I got unsolicited advice from 2 former "friends" about my daily sweet tooth.
    They personal messaged me to say I should try the paleo diet, because it would "cure my sugar cravings". When I said thanks but no thanks, they proceeded to leave daily snide remarks about my food diary and my chocolate intake. It didn't feel good. Intrusive and even a little but hostile (deleted them by the way)

When I closed my diary I was surprised that people even cared, but several people commented (it was only open to friends).

I asked two friends, just out of curiosity,
    Why do you leave your diary private.
    Both answers I found interesting.
    One said that leaving it open made a liar out of her. She said she is normally a very honest person but would find herself logging an apple instead of the cookie she actually ate.
    The other said she didn't like going to bed feeling bad about a day that she ate badly, only to wake up in the morning thinking "new day" only to read comments about her dietary slip ups and relive it again.
    Both very valid, and I hope they don't read this and delete me, cause they are very supportive friends!!
    For myself. I have no interest looking at other peoples diaries for the same reason I don't watch cooking shows any more---it makes me hungry!!
    So why leave mine open if I have no interest looking at theres?

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Public. I like the accountability and the honesty to own my actions and food choices.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I have an iPhone and not only don't I have the option to add a friend, there is definitely no icon to look at the diary of those who have said theirs is public.

Bummer because I love looking k see what people are eating for new ideas!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I have an iPhone and not only don't I have the option to add a friend, there is definitely no icon to look at the diary of those who have said theirs is public.

Bummer because I love looking k see what people are eating for new ideas!

Just to check, are you clicking on their name twice? Thw first click takes you to their user card, where you have the options for ignore or send a message. Clicking on their name from there takes you to their profile where you can add a friend or see their diary if it's public. The extra step confuses people a lot.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public. "What I eat" is some of the least fascinating reading on the planet. It's mostly home-cooked vegetables with small bits of meat added occasionally. I make the plan in the morning or several days in advance. In the morning I print the plan. I spend the day measuring and editing the plan for overs or unders, and at the end of the day I input the adjustments.