Coffee...I need coffee

Options

Replies

• eener201
    eener201 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. Measure out how much creamer and sugar you use. Every week cut back on the amount in small increments. Eventually you'll get use to the taste and be able to go without sugar and be down to non-fat milk or 2%. Then if you want to switch to a non-dairy milk the transition will be much easier. You have to slowly retrain your taste buds on flavor and texture.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do mine with one tablespoon of flavored creamer and 2 of regular creamer. 65 calories per cup. And I'm down to 1 per day.
  • eener201
    eener201 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that in addition to slowly cutting back on the cream is also to simultaneously transition from cream to whole milk to 2% to non-fat. That's the retraining your taste buds on the texture part.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Why?? Oh dear lord WHY? lol.
    I could never give up my coffee with half-half. I use 3TBS of half-half (60 cals) for my first coffee and milk or black for the rest. Yes, measure the cream. For sweetener, just slowly decrease it. I personally have no sweetener and that works for me.
  • juliahyeyon
    juliahyeyon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    eener201 wrote: »
    Start slowly. Measure out how much creamer and sugar you use. Every week cut back on the amount in small increments. Eventually you'll get use to the taste and be able to go without sugar and be down to non-fat milk or 2%. Then if you want to switch to a non-dairy milk the transition will be much easier. You have to slowly retrain your taste buds on flavor and texture.

Best advice so far! Thanks!
  • juliahyeyon
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Oh... and I use liquid Stevia for my sweetener. I couldn't do the coconut or almond milk thing.. My creamer has to be "thicker."

I definitely agree! The creamer has to be thick or just don't drink it at all LOL
  • juliahyeyon
    Options
    Why?? Oh dear lord WHY? lol.
    I could never give up my coffee with half-half. I use 3TBS of half-half (60 cals) for my first coffee and milk or black for the rest. Yes, measure the cream. For sweetener, just slowly decrease it. I personally have no sweetener and that works for me.

Yessss!!! Its all about the half n half. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    try a splash of milk!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to give up coffee for other reasons, don't give it up for weight loss. Work it into your daily goal. I decided early on that I was not willing to give it, created my recipe for it to make it easier to log each day. If I want more during the day I have that cup black. I think when you give up something you really like when you try and reintroduce it back into your life you tend to go overboard - accepting it and learning to control it will be better in the long run.
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue. I have learned to like mine black. It started off with splenda and a creamer packet. I got to where I didn't use any creamer. I also found I love it with splenda and cinnamon. They also have sugar free 0 calorie syrups that add a lot of yummy flavor. My husband even likes the caramel on in his.
  • shabeda
    shabeda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Giving up the sugar was the easy part..especially if you try some of the better tasting flavored coffees (I find cinnamon really helps give me a sense of sweet).....I'm working on the weaning from half and half to skim or 1%.
    Good luck :D
  • melly_fluous
    melly_fluous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try using the canned evaporated milk (2 tbsp is only 25 calories). It's REALLY thick and creamy stuff! I've also switched to the fake sugars - most of these are horrid, but the two that are most tolerable to me are sweet & low (pink packet) and Trader Joe's Organic Liquid Stevia. I've found everything else way too bitter. To start trying using half fake sweetener and half real sugar and work your way down on the real stuff. Your taste buds will adjust easier this way.

I could never survive without my coffee. Good luck!
  • melly_fluous
    melly_fluous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried to give up coffee once - lasted 15 angry minutes.

*crying lmao* I feel ya. I wouldn't even try.

• birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What were you thinking? You can't not drink coffee - it's inhumane! Lol. Just wean yourself off the high caloric stuff over time, and you'll be fine. Personally I've retrained myself to like 1pct milk and Splenda. Yes, it's a bit of a sacrifice, but I still get my caffeine. Keeping the eye on the goal... after all, I'd also rather eat hot fudge sundaes instead of salad, but I don't do that either ;-)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think the suggestion about retraining your taste buds is a good one. I now use coffee as a calcium vehicle -- either 1/3 cup dry skim milk in an 8 or 12-oz cuppa, or at a coffeehouse, a 16oz cafe au lait with 8 oz skim milk.
    Either way, with a bit of sweetener.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and unsweetened cashew milk. 10 calories at MOST per coffee, so I could have 10 a day if I wanted to :).

• juliahyeyon
    Options
    I use splenda and unsweetened cashew milk. 10 calories at MOST per coffee, so I could have 10 a day if I wanted to :).
    Try using the canned evaporated milk (2 tbsp is only 25 calories). It's REALLY thick and creamy stuff! I've also switched to the fake sugars - most of these are horrid, but the two that are most tolerable to me are sweet & low (pink packet) and Trader Joe's Organic Liquid Stevia. I've found everything else way too bitter. To start trying using half fake sweetener and half real sugar and work your way down on the real stuff. Your taste buds will adjust easier this way.

I could never survive without my coffee. Good luck!

Now that's what I'm talking about! I can definitely do evaporated milk!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was just speaking with a coworker about Peet's coffee. We have one walking distance away. Thanks Tweaking Time! I heard they can replace milk with almond milk.
    Peet's does an AWESOME almond milk latte! Highly recommended!

• terrico65
    terrico65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get it! Giving up vanilla creamer will be difficult for sure! I guess I'll wean myself off it!! lol