Best Tilpia recipe?

Options
I have never cooked real fish before---I mean, never. I need some great suggestions for cooking tilpia (I thought it sounded foolproof) any and all suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I would sometimes add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and season the filet with Mrs.Dash table blend seasoning.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wrap in waxed paper with sliced lemon, radish and onion on the bottom and sliced lemon, radish and onion on the top. Season fish...both sides...well with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

OR

I love tilapia piccata.
    Season fish with salt, pepper and a pinch of paprika.
    Pan sear both sides of fish filets for 2-3 minute each side(depending on thickness of filet) in 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat.
    Remove Fish.
    Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup white wine...scrapping brown bits off bottom of pan.
    Add 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup chicken stock plus 1 tsp arrow root or cornstarch or flour(anything that will thicken the sauce) and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
    Bring to boil and then simmer and whisk until smooth and reduced by half.
    Add fish filets back in along with quartered artichoke hearts, 2 TBSP capers and 1 fresh garden tomato.
    Season mix once more with S and P.
    Simmer for 5 minutes until everything is heated through.
    Can serve with broccoli or WW pasta.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to coat it with some low sodium taco seasoning. Bake it 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Ones done cut it length wise and put it on a soft taco with salsa and sour cream. Fish tacos!! I put a little slaw on top too.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I make my ginger lime marinade and let the tilapia fillets sit in it for 2-3 hours before searing them in extra virgin coconut oil.

Sometimes I sprinkle only lemon pepper seasoning on both sides before searing in coconut oil and calling it a day. Add a splash of lime juice, some chopped cabbage, a dollop of Greek yogurt and roll 'em up in tortilla wraps. Eat with a cold orzo/quinoa three-bean salad tossed with pineapple chunks and salsa.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I usually fry it in olive oil, add some pepper, Mr. Dash, and cajun. And sometimes I like to bake it. You can easily be creative with fish!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Parmesan Crusted Tilapia:

2 Tilapia Fillets
    Olive oil - I only used .5 tbsp for 2 filets. A little goes a long way!
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    Any sort of seasoning! I used a little bit of garlic salt & Italian seasoning

1. Heat oven to 450.
    2. Place fillets in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on your seasoning and layer with the Parmesan cheese.
    3. Bake 20-30 minutes until the Parmesan cheese is slightly brown.
  • maureenb93
    Options
    For a super easy, spicy and delicious no added fat dish, put about 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa in a skillet. My fave is La Costena homestyle -- no added fat or sugar -- and it is so delicious. It is usually in international aisle with Mexican stuff in most stores. Second choice is Herdez homestyle salsa.

Add a clove of garlic chopped, and put on medium heat. Season fish with salt and pepper, or my go-to spice blend, Tony Cachere's cajun. The just lay the seasoned fish on top of hot and soon to be boiling salsa. The fish will sort of poach in the liquid. Turn it once after about 2 min. Don't let the salsa dry up. Add more salsa, or a little water, or both if necessary. This is so good!!!

You can cook any type of white fish this way for a delicious easy no fuss meal. Yum. I'll be making this tomorrow.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow these all sound great! Do any of you cook it wiped in tin foil? I've heard that it can help keep the moisture in the fish,
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The biggest mistake people make with fish is to overcook it, which dries it out. Tilapia, being pretty thin and not terribly fatty, is especially prone to this.

When I was a newbie cook I made up this recipe that never, ever failed, and I still use to this day:

Preheat oven to 350 F
    Place thawed tilapia fillets on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper
    Toss together some diced zucchini, tomatoes, minced garlic and a little feta cheese, smother fish with this completely
    Bake for 15ish min but start checking at 10. You want it to flake easily with a fork but still look not dry inside. The smothering with veggies keeps it moist, and it absorbs all that yummy tomato/garlic juice.

Enjoy!
    If you plan to eat a lot of fish, and are at all concerned about the environment or having fish to eat in 10 years, look for sustainably raised ones. Tilapia can be some of the worst - often raised in pits in Thailand or Vietnam with antibiotics and other chemicals leaching into the soil. Target sells affordable frozen tilapia and salmon that is Marine Stewardship Council certified (you can find the stamp on the bag). If you have a Wegman's, they do a good job too.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Omg that sounds yum! I don't have either of two stores but I will try and be careful.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is the best. I've had special requests from people who I've made this for before (perhaps even years ago) to please make again when they visit!

Oven at 350

Wash and pat dry individual planks. (Individual means to separate the pieces that are still in H shape so that you have two thin long strips instead of the H.)

Dip each piece in butter and then coat with crunched up Glutino gluten free plain crackers. (I really smash up the crackers into tiny pieces; I use a meat tenderizer pounder tool -- like a kitchen hammer to whack the crackers! Don't make into powder - just little pieces...) You can use a breadcrumb or a different plain cracker instead. Weird how this brand (Glutino) tastes particularly great on the fish. I buy it at Whole Foods.

Then lay out each piece in a baking pan. I use a non-stick tray or a coated rotisserie pan. Generously sprinkle garlic salt. Drizzle some remaining butter over the cracker.

Cook until the pieces are just about breaking open with tenderness and the crackers are roasted but not burnt. I always prefer overcooked fish to undercooked fish. Allow the fish to get sizzly cooked- watch edges and notice when it starts to get toasty.

After cooking, squeeze fresh lemon on each piece. Serve with a piece of lemon on each person's plate for extra add of lemon.

Of course, butter is not weight loss food, but most of it seems to cook off and pools on the tray. I always lose weight if I have this for dinner! Fish is great weight loss food in an of itself so I don't worry about the occasional butter when I make this fish.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Do any of you cook it wiped in tin foil?
    Nearly all the time.

While I'm preheating the grill I brush the filets with melted butter and dust with some seafood seasoning.
    Put some butter in the bottom of a foil sheet and place the filet on the butter.
    Add a couple of slices of lemon and some chopped onion on top of the filets.
    Wrap up the foil - repeat for each filet.
    Toss the foil tents on the grill for 6 minutes. (*slightly longer cook time for thick filets)
    Enjoy!

Quick to prepare, cook and super tasty. The fish comes out flaky and moist every time.