8 lbs water weight?

Options
So far I have lost 8 lbs and am not at a ''plateau'' right now but it's not just melting off like it was.. Does that mean it's water weight or just because I didn't have very much to lose in the first place?? weighing/measuring everything isn't an issue but I've been eating some fast food, could that be my inaccuracy? Or is it just water weight and fat is coming off slower now?? Just curious!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    typically the first couple of pounds are water weight...then the first couple pounds of fat does fall off....and as you get smaller it is harder to lose.

Fast food would contain a lot of sodium that could make you retain water weight....then you appear to be stressing over it or you wouldn't be asking so then you add cortisol to the mix (stress hormone) which causes water retention as well...
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    typically the first couple of pounds are water weight...then the first couple pounds of fat does fall off....and as you get smaller it is harder to lose.

Fast food would contain a lot of sodium that could make you retain water weight....then you appear to be stressing over it or you wouldn't be asking so then you add cortisol to the mix (stress hormone) which causes water retention as well...

I'm really not stressing the weight, I'm seeing progress other places but I was just curious. I have been going through some stress since Monday though. And yeah probably eating a lot of sodium.. Interesting. Thanks :)
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah your first few pounds is water weight. It's actually good to drink more water, as this helps your body flush it out and not retain water. Also I tend to avoid takeaways but if I do I order from places which tell you how many calories there is in their food, for example domino's. A curry in a restaurant will probably have more calories for example than one you prepare yourself at home with fresh ingredients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When you first start out, you tend to drop quite a few pounds fairly quickly...you're eating less and most people also reduce carbohydrates to some extent, so you're naturally going to dump some water...you also have less inherent waste in your system. Weight loss will then taper off and become slower...that's normal and that's how it goes.

And yes, fast food is going to also cause you to retain some water as it is a sodium bomb.