Is it good enough to just get calories?

Options
So I'm trying to reach my goal of 118-120 lbs and I'm at 110.8 lbs and was wondering if calories alone will make the biggest difference? I'm aiming to consume 2,220 calories a day but I do work out 3 or more times a week (minimal cardio & mainly muscle building). I'm 5'4 and 20 years old. The struggle is real!

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes calories will determine whether you gain or lose weight, however the macros (protein, fat, carbs) affect things like your muscle gains, your energy level, your hormone regulation, etc. etc.

Secondly, here is a quote from me, I sent this to another poster with similar questions to you:
    Step1: Go on google, type "TDEE Calculator". TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. Based on your age, weight, height, activity level, etc., it will determine how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight.

Step2: In order to gain +1lb a week, you need to eat 500 calories OVER your TDEE. That means you need to be weighing your food on a scale and tracking everything that you put in your mouth. It takes 3500 calories for 1lb of weight gain, so that makes TDEE+500calories daily = +1lb per week.

This might be hard as you are a smaller person (500 calories for a 100lb woman is VERY different from 500 calories for a 200lb man), so I suggest you aim for a surplus of 10% to 20% instead - this is more realistic and you won't feel disgustingly full all the time. Perhaps you can aim for TDEE+250 calories = 0.5lbs of weight gain per week, or +2lbs of gain per month.

Using this system, you can clearly and accurately measure how long you need to do this for get to your weight goal (i.e. say you are 105lbs and want to get to 120lbs - Eating a surplus of +250calories daily = 30 weeks, which is just under 8 months time).

Lastly, look at this weight loss chart below (I know you are trying to gain but the idea is the same):
    weighttrendgraph1.gif

Notice how the daily weight fluctuates greatly, but the general trend is clear. This is how weight loss / gain is - due to uncountable variables (sleep, what you ate, how much you drank, when did you eat, when did you drink, what did you do today, what's going on with your body, etc. etc.). This is why I prefer weekly weight ins instead of daily weigh ins. Make sure you weigh yourself under the same conditions every time (i.e. right after you wake up, post washroom, pre breakfast).

The main thing is to be consistent with your diet and give yourself time to change. The longer it takes to change, the more permanent it is. Cheers!

I am glad you are exercising 3 times a week - when eating at a surplus, it is ideal conditions for your body to build muscle so I predict you will make excellent gains! Good luck and keep it up!
  • danihc96
    danihc96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes calories will determine whether you gain or lose weight, however the macros (protein, fat, carbs) affect things like your muscle gains, your energy level, your hormone regulation, etc. etc.

Secondly, here is a quote from me, I sent this to another poster with similar questions to you:
    Step1: Go on google, type "TDEE Calculator". TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. Based on your age, weight, height, activity level, etc., it will determine how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight.

Step2: In order to gain +1lb a week, you need to eat 500 calories OVER your TDEE. That means you need to be weighing your food on a scale and tracking everything that you put in your mouth. It takes 3500 calories for 1lb of weight gain, so that makes TDEE+500calories daily = +1lb per week.

This might be hard as you are a smaller person (500 calories for a 100lb woman is VERY different from 500 calories for a 200lb man), so I suggest you aim for a surplus of 10% to 20% instead - this is more realistic and you won't feel disgustingly full all the time. Perhaps you can aim for TDEE+250 calories = 0.5lbs of weight gain per week, or +2lbs of gain per month.

Using this system, you can clearly and accurately measure how long you need to do this for get to your weight goal (i.e. say you are 105lbs and want to get to 120lbs - Eating a surplus of +250calories daily = 30 weeks, which is just under 8 months time).

Lastly, look at this weight loss chart below (I know you are trying to gain but the idea is the same):
    weighttrendgraph1.gif

Notice how the daily weight fluctuates greatly, but the general trend is clear. This is how weight loss / gain is - due to uncountable variables (sleep, what you ate, how much you drank, when did you eat, when did you drink, what did you do today, what's going on with your body, etc. etc.). This is why I prefer weekly weight ins instead of daily weigh ins. Make sure you weigh yourself under the same conditions every time (i.e. right after you wake up, post washroom, pre breakfast).

The main thing is to be consistent with your diet and give yourself time to change. The longer it takes to change, the more permanent it is. Cheers!

I am glad you are exercising 3 times a week - when eating at a surplus, it is ideal conditions for your body to build muscle so I predict you will make excellent gains! Good luck and keep it up!

Wow this was seriously informative and I'll definetly use your advice. Thank you!!
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nuff said! Great advice and well explained above!
    Google the folowing to squeeze out the best from your excercise regime, which sounds brilliant by the way.
    1. Proper techniques for the stuff you're doing now. Note well that gaining at your age should be easiest now, and decline rapidly as hormones settle down. However learning correct execution of lifting weights and cardio is surprisingly nuanced! Best off getting perfect form now than learning the hard way! Injuries can be serious and continue to manifest painfully for many years. In some cases dramatic injuries can affect the foolhardy the rest of their lives. Please take head, look at gym fails on YouTube,if you think I am being sensational. It's also quite hilarious too!!!
    2. Get a professional at the gym to help you with a routine and they will be only too happy to explain the correct use of the complex equipment there. There should be no extra charge for this, you should be given some help as you are there under their care,this naturally would include reasonable guidance, surely.
    3. Ask questions go easy on the weights, Rome wasnt built in a day, and if you feel sharp pain whilst performing any movement stop immediately - please! It's a marathon not a Sprint and ego must be checked at the door. Progressive overload training is proven to be the key ingredient to success. Look that up on Google. It's quite a big deal! You are actually training your MIND to control your body,it's also the weakest "muscle". Remember learning to drive, or ride a bike? Hands and legs wobly, stressed out... thinking something really bad is going to happen! Later you just do it without a thought, same same with fitness.
    4. Nutrition is big... you tear the body up in the gym and build muscle asleep,so long as there is sufficient raw materials in your system to provide it.A 6 pack Abs are built in the kitchen too! And you might have been told or even thought yourself, that weightlifting was for stupid people! Lol! Google superfoods, healthy foods and realise the greater part of getting those impressive slabs of lean meat on 'dem bones is in the foods you eat, and when.
    5. Welcome to the greatest physical pursuit and experiment you can do with your life... go well and prosper. I'd raise my hand up and make the Vulcan sign of friendship and respect, only the keys don't do it justice. That and you may not have heard about Dr Spock of Star Trek at your age... joking!!! Lol!