Women who balanced out Apple shape with lifting?

I'm intrigued at the idea that if I lift heavy and increase the size of my thighs/bum, then it'll balance out my apple shape. Has anyone done this successfully? Show me pictures please!

Replies

• fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    bump.

Would also like to know this
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Pics would be awesome because I am Apple shaped
  • allyboo007
    allyboo007 Posts: 1 Member
    Bump
  • ElleMay4
    ElleMay4 Posts: 2 Member
    I am also Apple shaped - but I thought to balance yourself out by lifting you would need to build your upper body more - then hips and thighs would be more in proportion??
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    It can make a change. Lets ignore skeleton, ok? Some people preferably store fat in their tummy region, others on their hips and thighs. But if they lose weight they also lose weight there. It might take longer as there's more to lose, but they lose. Hey, I always thought it was a pear. Once I lost weight it turned out I'm more of a y as I have naturally wide shoulders, and suddenly my hips were narrower than the shoulders. It will be slow, but if you build muscles on your shoulders, thighs and bum then this might even out a bit, but fat loss is the key if you're not happy with not a very visible waist.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I am an apple. A few years ago I lost 30 pounds and was doing some heavy lifting. I found my stomach came down quite well and proportionaly to the rest of me. I did not turn into an hour glass by any means but I was happy with the way my stomach looked so much flatter.

This time I have not been lifting and the weight has stayed on my stomach a lot longer. Legs, arms and boobs have gone down but not my waist. It is however quite squishy :(

So I think heavy lifting can help a great deal in shaping/firming your body while losing weight including stomach. But that is only my personal experience to date.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    your body shape is its shape. If there is excess fat creating a bigger shape, eat at a deficit to lose that fat. bone structure and how you carry weight can not be changed. Lifting weights can make a LITTLE difference, but unless you go into heavy competitive body building, its not going to make MAJOR differences, in and of itself.

While where someone carries weight (fat) cannot be changed, a person definitely has more control over their shape than you think, and no, it doesn’t require “heavy competitive body building.” It simply requires recomposition by progressively overloading the muscles you wish to grow in order to accentuate certain parts of your body. For example, you can broaden your shoulders/lats and build your quads/glutes/hamstrings to make your waist appear smaller. Look up some transformations just from lifting, there are some pretty amazing ones. Losing weight and ending up unhappy with your body shape doesn’t have to be the end all be all.

• vLifts
    vLifts Posts: 2 Member
    Well I'm string bean shaped and squatting has definitely given me a bigger bum. So yes, I say you have a great chance of changing your figure! It's more important to lift consistently than to lift heavy. I would say several days per week for a few months should be enough for a noticeable change. If you're not lifting terribly heavy then you'll have to use a higher number of repetitions.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    your body shape is its shape. If there is excess fat creating a bigger shape, eat at a deficit to lose that fat. bone structure and how you carry weight can not be changed. Lifting weights can make a LITTLE difference, but unless you go into heavy competitive body building, its not going to make MAJOR differences, in and of itself.

dissagree. Im a pear shape, i carry all my fat on my large hips, bum and thighs. Almost zero on upper body so for me, building some muscle on the top half has really helped to balance out the look of my body. I only do body weight exercise too, i dont lift heavy. Its made a really big difference
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    I thought apple shaped meant carrying fat around the mid section?! I've never seen a human with an apple shaped skeleton
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm apple shaped and lift. It has helped me to better my physique but it's never going to lead my fat distribution to change--any fat gains tend to mean my abdominal fat increases more than fat elsewhere. Lifting isn't going to make your hips noticeably wider as the muscles on the sides of your glutes are smaller and less easy to grow in comparison to those on your backside. If you can get past the idea of wanting to actually change the shape that your body tends toward, you can improve and maximize what you have--build nice glutes, take advantage of what is already a likely tendency toward nice legs, strong shoulders, etc. Keep in mind that all of that is within the context of being at a healthy/reasonable body fat level (i.e., not overfat but you also don't need to be extremely lean.)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    while in my younger years I worked my butt off in the gym and sculpted my body to type to appear to be an hourglass...the effort it took to sustain that which was not my natural shape was not worth it...I have a great shape - I just had to accept it and I have.