How many calories can vigorous dancing burn?

I've finally gotten out of my burned out slump and started doing Just Dance again. By the time I've done it for an hour I'm dripping with sweat and my heart is pounding like crazy. I don't sweat like this when I ride the exercise bike... only when I do Just Dance. I was just wondering if anyone had an ballpark range of how many calories an hour of this does? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    • 5.0 dancing ballet, modern, or jazz, general, rehearsal or class
    • 6.8 dancing ballet, modern, or jazz, performance, vigorous effort
    • 4.8 dancing tap
    • 7.3 dancing aerobic, general
    • 7.5 dancing aerobic, step, with 6 - 8 inch step
    • 9.5 dancing aerobic, step, with 10 - 12 inch step
    • 5.5 dancing aerobic, step, with 4-inch step
    • 8.5 dancing bench step class, general
    • 5.0 dancing aerobic, low impact
    • 7.3 dancing aerobic, high impact
    • 10.0 dancing aerobic dance wearing 10-15 lb weights
    • 4.5 dancing ethnic or cultural dancing (e.g., Greek, Middle Eastern, hula, salsa, merengue, bamba y plena, flamenco, belly, and swing)
    • 5.5 dancing ballroom, fast (Taylor Code 125)
    • 7.8 dancing general dancing (e.g., disco, folk, Irish step dancing, line dancing, polka, contra, country)
    • 11.3 dancing ballroom dancing, competitive, general
    • 3.0 dancing ballroom, slow (e.g., waltz, foxtrot, slow dancing, samba, tango, 19th century dance, mambo, cha cha)
    • 5.5 dancing Anishinaabe Jingle Dancing
    • 3.5 dancing Caribbean dance (Abakua, Beguine, Bellair, Bongo, Brukin's, Caribbean Quadrills, Dinki Mini, Gere, Gumbay, Ibo, Jonkonnu, Kumina, Oreisha, Jambu)

These are gross METs for various dancing styles. To calculate net calorie burn, subtract one from the gross MET, and multiply by your resting calorie burn for that period of time. For example, if your resting burn is 100 calories per hour (about what mine is...I'm sure yours is lower), the burn for an hour of "low impact aerobic dance" would be 100 * (5.0 -1) = 400 calories.

HTH...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I play Just Dance with my kids. I personally wouldn't give myself more than 250 calories an hour for how I feel after playing and all the breaks you get in between songs.
  • hill8570
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    You left out "lap" and "pole".

Both are missing from the Compendium of Physical Activities. I've tried to address this issue in the past, even to the point of volunteering to lead the research, but grant money has not been forthcoming. Pity.
  • hill8570
    I play Just Dance with my kids. I personally wouldn't give myself more than 250 calories an hour for how I feel after playing and all the breaks you get in between songs.

As with all activities, you can't count the breaks as part of the exercise if you want a calorie count that is even close to ballpark accurate.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited April 2016
    hill8570 wrote: »

As with all activities, you can't count the breaks as part of the exercise if you want a calorie count that is even close to ballpark accurate.

I understand. My ball park guesstimate calorie burn per hour was including the breaks since Just Dance isn't constant cardio.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »

I understand. My ball park guesstimate calorie burn per hour was including the breaks since Just Dance isn't constant cardio.

I used to be huge into DDR and I have done some classes with the HRM on - I'd be amazed if it's ever more than 400/hr.