Gained weight - lost confidence

Options
I've gained 3 stone in around 2 years, I'm now the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I hate it. I'm so unhappy and my confidence is at rock bottom. I now look at food and think "well how much am I going to gain when I eat you"!

My doctor sent me to the in- surgery personal trainer who can't see anything wrong with my diet aside from not having enough "good fats" in it ie nuts, butter, advocado etc. I added a small amount of these things to my diet - and gained weight. He sent me back to the doctor who has said that I've just got to accept I have a very slow metabolism - my thyroid has been checked as is OK apparently

I'm not saying I don't have the odd blow out (chocolate, biscuits etc) but for the most part I eat sensibly and everything is fresh - no processed stuff, ready meals etc.

I know I could be better at exercise and I'm about to increase that but I still walk around 3-4 miles a day. Nothing I do appears to be working, I can't get clothes to fit and I absolutely dread going out these days.

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Can you post your diary?
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Or open it up rather? Not post it. Sorry.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories?
  • MyPathway
    MyPathway Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did you count your calorie intake or did the trainer just looked at the nature of the food you are eating? To loose weight you need to be in calorie deficit, even if you eat healthy food, if you eat too much of it, you wont loose.

If you tried counting calories, did you weight your food on a food scale? You might have been eating more calories than you think.

Also, if most of the day you eat well but once in while, go for huge meal in restaurant with wine and everything, you might be eating back all the calories you lost for the whole week.

• racehorsecj
    racehorsecj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also experienced this. Here are some things for breakthrough. For exercise: Read on "Periodization" - http://training.strengthengine.com/periodization.shtml If you vary your exercise type every few weeks, it can cause a shift in metabolism. For nutrition: some metabolism-sparking foods are raw celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapefruit, and any non-white raw vegetables. Drink enough water - you need at least have your body weight (in ounces) every day. I personally have had breakthrough by incorporating these 3 things. If you don't see any shift, keep posting. Don't quit !!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's calories in calories out for all of us, no magic. I would strongly suspect you are underestimating the calorie impact of what you eat and overestimating the calorie burn of your exercise. Do open your diary if you want feedback, but if your numbers look good and you're still gaining, it's the gap between guesswork and reality that's the problem. My life got better when I got a food scale and a calorie-burn tracking HR monitor (although don't eat back everything it tells you you burn ...)
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    MyPathway wrote: »
    Did you count your calorie intake or did the trainer just looked at the nature of the food you are eating? To loose weight you need to be in calorie deficit, even if you eat healthy food, if you eat too much of it, you wont loose.

If you tried counting calories, did you weight your food on a food scale? You might have been eating more calories than you think.

Also, if most of the day you eat well but once in while, go for huge meal in restaurant with wine and everything, you might be eating back all the calories you lost for the whole week.

^^This. :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the things your trainer told you to add are calorie dense foods. Yeah, they have lots of healthy fats, but the calories add up quickly.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You are consuming more calories than you are spending.

Without being able to see your diary, there is little advice to be offered. So, will give general advice:

1. Weigh ALL your foods.
    2. Be cautious with exercise calories as they are often over estimated.
    3. Find a plan that works for you (Food restriction, meal times, exercise, etc.)
    4. Be HONEST. The ONLY one you are fooling is yourself when you purposely log incorrectly.

All in all, no one is exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. Given you've been to the doctor and checked things out, you have no medical condition holding you back. You need to eat less, and move more. That's all there is to it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Nothing you're saying matters (healthy, not processed, etc).

What matters is this: Are you counting calories by weighing your foods and logging in this app?