Weight training women!

Options
2»

Replies

• Julialevonmello
    Julialevonmello Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can't stand basic cardio like running..

I usually weight train since my favorite day is leg day. I do try and use box jumps and other fun things to do some cardio.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    a0akley wrote: »
    I did a 25 min total body circuit today with 8-10 lbs. last time I did that was three days ago and I am just barely not sore any more. How many days per week do you wise weight lifting ladies recommend? Use soreness as a guide?

I concur with @cnbbnc . Do not use soreness as a guideline.
    I try to rest a muscle at least 24 hours before I use it again in a workout
    Day 1: whole body exercise
    Day 2: rest
    Day 3: lower body
    Day 4: core
    Day 5: upper body
    Day 6: rest
    Day 7: cardio and pilates
  • victoriah122
    victoriah122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was doing 14 cardio classes a week and getting nowhere fast until I switched to lifting weights and dropped 5 dress sizes and I'm definitely not huge (bulky) like the women you see competing. The scales show I'm heavier than my solely cardio friends but my dress size is smaller. When I wear a size 10 dress the label doesn't say how much I weigh!!. And I love having defined arms and shoulders whilst still remaining feminine. I have small elements of cardio in my program but these are hiit sessions.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba which is cardio but I do it mostly because I really enjoy it and it is a stress releaser for me. I lift 3 times a week following an Alwyn Cosgrove program.

Don't worry about bulking up, it takes a lot of work, effort and nutrition to put on muscle. When you lift though: LIFT - no barbie weights! If you can get your hands on either New rules of lifting for women or Strong - both books by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove there is a wealth of information on female strength training in there that is invaluable whether or not you decide to follow the actual routines.

Good luck!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have only been lifting seriously for about 2 months, and not yet 'heavy' (i'm at 50 pounds for deads/bench press/squats), but there is a noticeable difference. I've lost about 15 pounds in that time frame and several inches. I am about 25 away from my lowest weight with only cardio, i was a size 8 at that weight. I am currently in a loose 10 so i can see there is a difference in size. I do walk/hike for cardio because i enjoy it, but weightlifting is definitely the more helpful of the 2.

I focus on compound lifts 3-4x a week, i do 1 day on, 1 rest day with the occasional extra rest day in there.
  • a0akley
    a0akley Posts: 36 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How do you like to eat on lifting days? I eat between 1350 -1500 most days. Today I feel starving . I'm only 5'3" and only marginally overweight so I don't get much for calories. Can I get away with 16 or 1700 on lifting days you think?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an either/or dilemma. I do both. I love running and lifting. Lifting benefits running, but running does not help lifting.

I pay more attention to the weekly number. About 18,000 calories a week.

I'm 140 pounds 5'4".
  • skinbeauty2005
    skinbeauty2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just finished week one of Jaimie Eason's Livefit program. It's great to know what to do each day and have a plan of attack. She does add in some cardio in phase two, (I hate cardio!) but it's mainly focused on weights. I love it. I feel strong and sexy after my workout, and I'm pumped to keep going!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    a0akley wrote: »
    How do you like to eat on lifting days? I eat between 1350 -1500 most days. Today I feel starving . I'm only 5'3" and only marginally overweight so I don't get much for calories. Can I get away with 16 or 1700 on lifting days you think?

If you're close to your goal weight, have you thought about starting to eat at maintenance and recomping?

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I never was into cardio but I built my body with weight training and deficit (now maintenance ). I'm 47 yrs old & 5'2" so this should be impossible, right
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also do both, but focusing more on lifting/strength now. Started in January and have not gained or lost any weight but it fluxuates. Definitely reshaping for the better. More tight, muscles are showing but its not bulky its just more defined....you can see where they are. I eat more on strength days because I'm hungry. In the beginning I would be ravenous on strength day and I did gain 5-7 pounds but it went away after a few months. I usually eat anywhere from 300-700 more on strength day and most of it is protein.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the lifting journey and im needing to lose plenty of weight trust me haha
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Try a foam roller after lifting to help relieve muscle soreness. Since I started using one, I barely have any DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). I'm also a fan of Jill Miller's "Roll Model" which uses different size rubber balls to help release muscle/connective tissue tightness. Similar to the foam roller, but in a very targeted way. The large ball is supposed to be the equivalent of a massage therapist's palm, the next one down like an elbow and the smallest one like a thumb.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a full body strength workout then 3 max 4 times a week

I'm doing 3 days full body sessions to fit in with
    My running
    Monday active rest ( Pilates)
    Tuesday morning full body weights evening running intervals
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday weights morning , speed runs evening
    Friday easy run
    Saturday weights
    Sunday long run

I don't add many more cals I have 2 scoops protein powder after a workout but don't really follow cals per say I will go crazy on veg if I'm hungry.

I would say three days a week is enough for weights especially if you are doing squats, deads , chin/pull ups

Or do 4 days
    Upper body Monday
    Lower body Tuesday
    Rest Wednesday
    Upper body Thursday
    Lower body Friday

Then you get at least the two days between to recover.