Net Calories...a little confused. HELP

Options
After eating only 800-900 calories at first...I'm learning more and more about why your body needs more. I'm trying to hit 1000-1200 but I'm a bit confused. My MFP goal is 1430. I exercise daily and wear a fitness tracker with heart rate (I know they aren't exact but I do see that it helps me). So today I have eaten 650 calories so far. However...my fitness tracker is linked to MFP and shows an adjustment of 867 calories, leaving my net NEGATIVE 218 calories. Now I still have dinner to go but I can't see eating enough to get my net calories to 1200. I've set out on this journey saying I won't eat back my exercise calories...but now I'm confused. Am I supposed to take in 1200 calories regardless of what my output is and ignore my net calories? Or are my net calories supposed to be 1200? And how on earth do you even eat that much and still lose weight if you are active. If I eat my normal calories for dinner...I will probably only have about 300 net calories for the day...

Thanks for helping me sort this info out!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Your NET should be 1200. If you are getting large adjustments like that from your tracker, it means that your activity level is set too low.

My total intake for weight loss is generally in the 1800-2000 calorie range (NET has varied a bunch based on my stats as I lost weight...I think it's currently 1350). The reason I can lose on that much is my maintenance calories are 2200-2300 currently and it was higher when I was heavier.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When they sync, mfp calculates how many calories you're likely to burn between now and midnight based on what you've burned so far. That's why you have a negative. You can turn off negative adjustments so that it will only add once you've reached a positive number, no adjustment til then.

You should be eating 1430 (what MFP gives you) at the end of the day. If you have exercise calories added, you can eat back a portion, all, or none. Completely up to you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You should eat back a portion of your exercise calories, as MFP tends to over-estimate them.

If you were really only eating 900 cals per day, unless you are 4 ft tall, you would be HUNGRY and the weight would be falling off you.

Are you using a food scale? If not, you are most likely eating more than you think. Most people under-estimate their portions when they eyeball or use measuring cups.

Be careful of the entries you are using in the database, many are added by users and are not correct. Especially don't use database entries that are a complete recipe (like beef stew or something like that) if you didn't create the entry yourself.

Are you logging everything, including beverages, condiments, cooking oils?

If you don't use a food scale, get one and give it a shot. I was sure I was eating 1500 per day, then I got a food scale and found I was actually eating 1800.

That was the long answer :) The short answer is that 1200 calories is the bare minimum a woman should be eating unless you are very short or bedridden. It is really difficult to get proper nutrition if you are really eating that little.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    When they sync, mfp calculates how many calories you're likely to burn between now and midnight based on what you've burned so far. That's why you have a negative. You can turn off negative adjustments so that it will only add once you've reached a positive number, no adjustment til then.

You should be eating 1430 (what MFP gives you) at the end of the day. If you have exercise calories added, you can eat back a portion, all, or none. Completely up to you.

@capaul42 - No. She is saying she has a positive adjustment and that her food intake minus exercise is a negative number.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Lol, I read that completely backwards. Sorry.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hope your diary is very inaccurate. You're barely eating and depriving your body of the nutrients it requires to function. You don't need to be so extreme and hard on your body to lose weight.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you want some ideas on how to eat more calories then you can check out my diary, I've been at maintenance + exercise calories while marathon training.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you set MFP to lose weight, you should be eating to the goal, which is a number to reach, not be under. Additionally, you should eat at least a portion of your adjustment/exercise calories.

How do people "eat that much and still lose weight if [they] are active"? The more active a person is, be that through daily activities or exercise, the more they should eat to maintain a healthy deficit and get the nutrition they need to be healthy. Losing weight in a healthy and sustainable manner is not about eating as little as you can. However, I would agree with others that you are likely not accurately logging if you're not feeling hungry and/or fatigued on so little.

ETA - If MFP gave you a goal of 1430, why are you trying to hit 1000-1200?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    the numbers the OP posted dont make sense to me. what am I missing?

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Exercise adjustment - 867
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

Your net calories should be as close to zero as possible. You should be eating atleast 1430 calories a day + a percentage of your exercise calories burn. You shouldn't be eating as low as 900 calories.

But to get an adjustment of -867 calories from your exercise tracker I have to assume you have either set your activity level way too high (but since your goal is 1430 i doubt that) or there is something wrong with your tracker, is it posting 2 adjustments?. The highest negative adjustment for exercise I have seen is like -150 calories and thats when I sit around all day.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Oh nooooo... This makes me sad. Please use MFP and check out Scooby too. Put in your height, weight, activity level.. etc.. You shouldn't deprive yourself like that or you WILL burn out. and be unsuccessful.
    I've got a similar issue.

My goal is 1980 (I've got a lot of weight to lose)
    My net today is 948, and that's after having a bit of a cheat day (dinner at a diner with Gyros, eggs, home fries and toast, no sparing of butter or tzaziki
    Two days ago, I ate 1379 and was satisfied all day (I drank lots of water throughout the day which really helped) and my net calories consumed was WAY into the negatives, -1712 or something like that.

I'm really not feeling deprived, not either day.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh nooooo... This makes me sad. Please use MFP and check out Scooby too. Put in your height, weight, activity level.. etc.. You shouldn't deprive yourself like that or you WILL burn out. and be unsuccessful.

My net today is 948, and that's after having a bit of a cheat day (dinner at a diner with Gyros, eggs, home fries and toast, no sparing of butter or tzaziki
    Two days ago, I ate 1379 and was satisfied all day (I drank lots of water throughout the day which really helped) and my net calories consumed was WAY into the negatives, -1712 or something like that.

You were negative 1712 in ONE single day?? Holy moly, if you're confident your logging is accurate, then you so very badly need to eat more.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You were negative 1712 in ONE single day?? Holy moly, if you're confident your logging is accurate, then you so very badly need to eat more.

I was just going to post the same thing. Are you using a food scale? Are you verifying your database entries are correct? Where are you getting your exercise calories burn from? If your numbers are accurate, you are damaging your health. If you don't feel hungry and lethargic, I'd assume your numbers aren't accurate. There is no way as an adult male you can get adequate micro and macro nutrients with so little fuel.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others on eating too low. You may feel great now but it will eventually hit you like a freight train, even me at 5ft nothing, been there and done that years ago. If net calories is confusing just stop using it and look at the amount of caloires per day, eat just enough under mainteance to make a deficit. All you need is a little deficit most days out of every week to succeed, and eat up to your maintenace at least 1 day a week to keep your hormones stable.

Sometimes we just have to time our meals a little better so you are not trying to scrunch it all in during the evening. Every day does not have to be the same. We tend to get in ruts with the deficits. If you want to make this a lifestyle where you don't rebound it's important to learn to eat normal and not such a deep deficit.

Keep it low and there will be a crash ahead. No amount of willpower will combat those hunger hormones the body will produce, you are not immune to it, no human is. It is not fun, it is not pretty.

This game requires much patience and caring for your body while keeping your eye on the goal, it's about the hardest thing any of us will ever do.
  • charleycartee
    Options

Some stuff was measured volumetrically, but most of it was by weight.

I tend to not eat unless I'm hungry, and I don't trust having 2490 calories from exercise (even if I was just over 24,000 steps on the fitbit)

• shadow2soul
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

Your net calories should be as close to zero as possible. You should be eating atleast 1430 calories a day + a percentage of your exercise calories burn. You shouldn't be eating as low as 900 calories.

But to get an adjustment of -867 calories from your exercise tracker I have to assume you have either set your activity level way too high (but since your goal is 1430 i doubt that) or there is something wrong with your tracker, is it posting 2 adjustments?. The highest negative adjustment for exercise I have seen is like -150 calories and thats when I sit around all day.
    @Merkavar -
    Your math is off. And her adjustment is positive, not negative. Just the NET is negative.

650 (calories consumed) - 867 (calorie adjustment for exercise) = net -217

or

1430 (goal) - 650 (consumed) + 867 (burned) = 1647 remaining
    1430 (goal) - 1647 remaining calories = -217
  • Merkavar
    edited April 2016
    Options

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

@Merkavar -
    Your math is off. And her adjustment is positive, not negative. Just the NET is negative.

or

Yeah I assumed that exercise was negative since that was the only way I could get close to -217 net.

What does 217 have to do with anything then? That's doubling up on the goal isn't it?

Why are you and the op taking the net calories(1647) away from the goal? The net calories already included the goal.

She should be aiming to eat 1647 more assuming she is eating 100% of the exercise calories.

Am I wrong here? Is this a phone vs website thing where the net is different on each?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

@Merkavar -

or

Yeah I assumed that exercise was negative since that was the only way I could get close to -217 net.

What does 217 have to do with anything then? That's doubling up on the goal isn't it?

Why are you and the op taking the net calories(1647) away from the goal? The net calories already included the goal.

She should be aiming to eat 1647 more assuming she is eating 100% of the exercise calories.

Am I wrong here? Is this a phone vs website thing where the net is different on each?

-217 seems to be the calories she has consumed today so far.
  • shadow2soul
    edited April 2016
    Options

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

@Merkavar -

or

Why are you and the op taking the net calories away from the goal? The net calories already included the goal.

Am I wrong here?

NET refers to food intake minus exercise burned. That's how MFP calculates NET calories consumed.
    Look at your MFP home page:
    I'll use my numbers for example-
    from website
    remaining -30
    Goal 1350 | 2215 consumed - 835 exercise burned = NET 1380

from app

1350 goal - 2215 consumed + 835 = -30 remaining

On the OP's homepage she is seeing:
    Remaining 1647
    Goal 1430 | 650 consumed - 867 burned = NET -217
  • charleycartee
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I was just going to post the same thing. Are you using a food scale?
    For some stuff. I do a lot of volumetric for my breakfast smoothie because it's fast, and "close enough" . Dinner was a recipe where I weighed most of the stuff, and then weighed it at the end to figure out the number of servings (4.5 lbs of end result = nine 8 oz servings).
    Are you verifying your database entries are correct?
    I had to correct the protein powder I'm using. It was listed as 85% of my calcium per day instead of 9% (85g), for example. I spot check some things, and do occasionally (but not always) weigh even prepackaged stuff rather than just entering the amount the package says.
    Where are you getting your exercise calories burn from?
    Hiking, generally in the 21-24 minutes per mile speed. Fitbit says 24058 steps, 11.08 miles for that day. 3 miles in the morning, 2miles on my lunch break, and another 2miles in the evening while waiting for my kids to get out of rehearsal, plus a short 1 stroll with my wife after the kids went to bed, plus a bunch of short walks throughout the day to get my 250 steps per hour and whatever incidental steps I took doing things like going to the kitchen to get a cup of water or down to the mailbox.
    If you don't feel hungry and lethargic, I'd assume your numbers aren't accurate.
    That's why I'm kind of skeptical over the calories from exercise it's awarding me. If anything, I feel energetic.

Today was a almost a cheat day; gyros and eggs and home fries at a diner for dinner. I had to guess at portions.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

@Merkavar -

or

-217 seems to be the calories she has consumed today so far.

Yeah, which as far as I'm aware isn't the net, maybe that's where the confusion is, I'm talking the total net, being goal-food+exercise=net of 1647 in this case.

While some are talking net as in just food and exercise and not including the original goal. Something I wouldn't call net and mfp doesn't call net either.