What kind of diet do you follow?

Options
Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, no sugar no grains, calories in/out...and on & on it goes. I get overwhelmed with the barrage of advice and soundbites on nutrition. I hear differing opinions: e.g., meat causes cancer, carbs cause cancer cause they turn into sugar, don't eat fruit/eat tons of fruit. I would love to hear some opinions from those who have found a nice balance and been able to shed the pounds. Please!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like. However, I try to spend 2 days a week eating very little (300-400 calories) so I don't stress over eating more the other 5 days a week. I also artificially lower my calorie goal on MFP because I KNOW despite my best intentions, I always manage to under-estimate my calories in.

Losing 0.5 to 1.0 pounds a week roughly and doing fine.

Any diet that says no pizza ever isn't a diet, it's a banned torture tactic and war crime!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I follow a ketogenic diet for medical reasons. I'm really enjoying it!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Mostly whatever I want in moderation, though I have been transitioning to the Mediterranean diet slowly.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    CICO is the only thing that has ever worked for me.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Flexible dieting.

I took the foods that I like to eat and either reduced my portions or made satisfying substitutions. If I want to eat something special, I work it into my calories. I found a calorie intake amount that satisfies me and stick to that amount.

I watch my macros because I'm more satiated when I get enough protein and fat. The MFP default of 50%C-20%P-30%F has worked well for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out isn't a diet.

I count calories while using the flexible dieting approach.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    CICO, meet my macros, prioritize nutrient-dense, minimally processed food, 10-20% calories can go towards wine or chocolate if I'm in the mood. Usually I'm in the mood.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Im not on a diet. I eat everything I ate before, just within my calorie goal. I've lost 25lbs since January still eating potatoes, bread, rice, pizza, chocolate and chips. Yeah I eat lots of veggies and I make my own pizza. But I don't subscribe to any of the "diet hype" about what's good for you and what isn't.
    Most of what you'll hear will be crap. I've tried most of it over the years.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    found the calorie levels I needed to meet at the weight I wanted to maintain at and learned how to eat at that level.
  • sparkly75
    sparkly75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 20 years!
    They don't work!
    I have finally realised after all this time that processed foods are making us all fat and sick.
    I'm now trying to stick to organic wholefoods.
    Without being too regimented - I feel so much better and not as hungry.
    It's an ongoing battle though
    x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat what I want while eating my calorie goal and protein macro.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Flexible dieting while paying attention to nutrition (I think that's generally part of it, but since people might not know what it means) and trying to eat mindfully and with awareness of my goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip. Avoid any diet that bans entire macros or food groups. I follow the Canada Food guide and even though my diabetes is in remission I can't give up decades of practice. So I portion out my macros at every meal including proteins, carbs and fats. I usually have steel cut oats with Greek yogurt and fruit of some kind for breakfast. Some lunches are a big salad with a vinaigrette with nuts and feta. I tend to prefer vegetables over fruit but I eat both. I cycle through a variety of meats, beans or tofu for dinner and my sides might be potatoes, rice or pasta. Again with a vegetable of some kind.

All foods are in. See?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    • I eat whatever I want in moderation; that includes sugar, GMOs, "processed" food, etc. No food is bad to me unless I don't like the way it tastes.
    • I seem to do best on a 40C/30F/30P macro split on weight training days and a 30C/40F/30P split on cardio and rest days.
    • I make getting 25+ grams of fiber a priority, as I notice it keeps me feeling satiated.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Regular food within my calorie goal, which is basically as many cals as I can while still losing. I aim for mostly lean meats, fish, fresh fruits & veggies, nuts, and yes, breads, potatoes and rice - but also includes pizza, burgers, fries, desserts, beer, wine, cocktails, etc.

I'm in it for life, and I don't plan on cutting any of my favorite foods out forever, so I learned to eat them in proper portions within calorie goals (at least most of the time!). If I can't do it for life, then what's the point?