Exercise with possible kidney stone/ovarian cyst?

Options
Hi everyone, I went to the doctor today for pain on my side that's been obstructing me from daily acitivities. They said they believe it's a kidney stone and gave me pain meds and meds for the stone, but it could possibly be an ovarian cyst, but we won't know until next week when I can get an ultra sound. I completely forgot to ask my doctor while I was there, but is it okay for me to exercise if I have either one of those problems? The pain isn't a lot today and I think with the pain meds I should feel fine, but anyone know if it's okay to exercise with a kidney stone or ovarian cyst? Right now they are treating it as a kidney stone.

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have had kidney stones for over 25 years. It has never stopped me from exercising. 3 years ago I had a 22mm stone wedged in my ureter and it took 5 lithotripsy procedures to finally remove ( a 2 month process) and I still exercised. They only uncomfortable part for me was that I had a stent and a lot of jumping made me almost pee myself! I just took tylenol then two hours later ibuprofen, then repeated to manage any pain.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I have had kidney stones for over 25 years. It has never stopped me from exercising. 3 years ago I had a 22mm stone wedged in my ureter and it took 5 lithotripsy procedures to finally remove ( a 6 week process) and I still exercised. They only uncomfortable part for me was that I had a stent and a lot of jumping made me almost pee myself! I just took tylenol then two hours later ibuprofen, then repeated to manage any pain.

That's good to know! I've never had a kidney stone before so I'm not sure what I can and cannot do lol They gave me meds to pee more and dilate my ureters, but no stents lol I'll try doing some light exercises maybe to see how the pain feels after that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Call back and ask the nurse, just to be sure.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    I have had ovarian cysts since 1984 and kidney stones since 2009.

Neither has stopped me from exercising a lot.

Except for the week or so when I've had surgery because of them.

If it is a kidney stone ... drink lots of water.

But yes, you can make a call to double-check if you're concerned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cysts don't go away. I'd never exercise if I let that stop me.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

One of mine did ... it got so big it exploded. That was painful.

But the rest are just there. Every time I have an ultrasound, the tech says to me, "Do you know you have an ovarian cyst?" Um ... yep.

And yes, I'd be glued to the sofa if I let ovarian cysts stop me.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I had a kidney stone once. A teeny-tiny one. I would not wish that pain on anyone (except maybe terrorists and pedophiles). The pain was indescribable. I'm thinking if you had a kidney stone, you'd be begging to die. Maybe not everyone gets ultra severe massive intense pain with them?
  • Machka9
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I had a kidney stone once. A teeny-tiny one. I would not wish that pain on anyone (except maybe terrorists and pedophiles). The pain was indescribable. I'm thinking if you had a kidney stone, you'd be begging to die. Maybe not everyone gets ultra severe massive intense pain with them?

My first one ... or at least the first one I noticed ... had me in blinding agony. I almost crawled into Emergency, they saw me immediately, and it wasn't until they finally started running morphine into me that I finally relaxed.

That one was a reasonably large one which got lodged on its way out. I had to have surgery to remove it.

Since then I have had a few scans, and I've got a collection of small ones rattling around in both kidneys. The Doctors I've seen say they shouldn't be causing me any pain at all, but if I get busy and go several hours without drinking anything, my kidneys ache.

It is a very different ache to the twinges I get from my ovarian cyst, but neither are overly painful.

However, if a stone gets lodged again, that'll be excruciatingly agonising again.

• xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have pcos and get huge ones all the time on my ovaries. My biggest was the size of a grapefruit and I still did day to day activities.
  • jamielikesyou
    jamielikesyou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The only person that can give you this answer is you doctor. I would forstall any vigorous activity until your scheduled ultrasound and evaluation from your doctor. Exertional rhabdomyolysis is a serious event that can occur especially when kidney function is compromised. Dehydration can lead to further and larger kidney stones. Without knowing what is going on with your kidneys, it is a risk to do vigorous excercise. I mean, do't go on bed rest or anything like that, just avoid activities that can damage your miscles as muscle damage leads to molecules that your kidneys need to clear and if they cannot function properly these molecules build up in your blood stream.

Best wishes and good health, this sounds painful and I hope you get the care and healing you need soon.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Yes. I have pcos and get huge ones all the time on my ovaries. My biggest was the size of a grapefruit and I still did day to day activities.

A grapefruit. That is a large damn fruit.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    xtina315 wrote: »

A grapefruit. That is a large damn fruit.

Yes it is! It was painful, took months for it to shrink!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

One of mine did ... it got so big it exploded. That was painful.

happened to me, too - it REALLY hurt.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I should have clarified more, I still have pain and am on pain meds lol If there was no pain I wouldn't be asking this question at all! I would be exercising! But there is pain still just from walking and standing around doing normal acitivies. It isn't excruciating but sometimes they do send a pretty damn sharp severe pain if I move the wrong way lol That's why I'm a little hesitant to exercise. My mom told me if I'm in pain it means my body needs rest and not to exercise, which is a lot coming from her because she usually tells me to suck it up all the time lol The pain started to return more today, it had actually died down over the weekend, but again just laying down in bed I have some pain right now :( I read some comments online elsewhere that exercising could move the stone more and make it hurt more :( Others said it helped them. I will be calling the nurse/doctor first thing at 8AM tomorrow morning though to ask what they think :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    The pain started to return more today, it had actually died down over the weekend, but again just laying down in bed I have some pain right now :(

Have a glass of water ... if it is a stone, that should help.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I should have clarified more, I still have pain and am on pain meds lol If there was no pain I wouldn't be asking this question at all! I would be exercising! But there is pain still just from walking and standing around doing normal acitivies. It isn't excruciating but sometimes they do send a pretty damn sharp severe pain if I move the wrong way lol That's why I'm a little hesitant to exercise. My mom told me if I'm in pain it means my body needs rest and not to exercise, which is a lot coming from her because she usually tells me to suck it up all the time lol The pain started to return more today, it had actually died down over the weekend, but again just laying down in bed I have some pain right now :( I read some comments online elsewhere that exercising could move the stone more and make it hurt more :( Others said it helped them. I will be calling the nurse/doctor first thing at 8AM tomorrow morning though to ask what they think :)

I found out I had cysts after going to the ER with really horrible pain. It was the cyst, I guess it twisted while I was working out. Yeah that day I didn't do much exercise. But yeah you have to figure out if it's cysts or a stone first!