When will my metabolism adjust?

After seeing a nutritionist (for ED recovery) I was told that I should be eating approximately 2000 calories/day. I'm 5' 1'', 21 years old, petite framed, exercise 60+ minutes daily, and I'm at a healthy BMI. I have been severely restricting my intake (<800 cals) for 10 +yrs. How long will it take for my metabolism to adjust so that I can just maintain weight?

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    When you are at a healthy weight and eat 2000 calories daily and you dont gain or lose than you are maintaining.
    So normal.

Are you eating now 2000 calories?
  • Vibrant_Gainz
    Vibrant_Gainz Posts: 10 Member
    Yes! I've been hitting 2000 calories everyday and technically I'm already at a healthy weight, just malnutritioned.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Yes! I've been hitting 2000 calories everyday and technically I'm already at a healthy weight, just malnutritioned.

Are you wondering how long it will take for your body to heal? I would think that would be a very difficult question for any of us to answer and your best bet would be to talk to your ED recovery doctor.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    bioklutz wrote: »

Are you wondering how long it will take for your body to heal? I would think that would be a very difficult question for any of us to answer and your best bet would be to talk to your ED recovery doctor.

indeed and as long you dont gain or lose weight you eat at maintaining level. The malnutrition part is qustion for a professional not a message board
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Apparently it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for hormonal levels to return to normal, if you severely screwed things up maybe a month.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited May 2016
    eeejer wrote: »
    Apparently it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for hormonal levels to return to normal, if you severely screwed things up maybe a month.

Malnutrition can take months or years to recover.
    search here the forums and you will find some ( horror) stories about people who had or still have a ED or just didn't eat enough nutritions
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    How are you not emaciated if you were only eating 800 for 10 years? If what people say about "you can't be in starvation mode" on this site is true, you would be like dead? Just curious how those people would explain this. (Since I DO believe you can damage your metabolism)
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    How are you not emaciated if you were only eating 800 for 10 years? If what people say about "you can't be in starvation mode" on this site is true, you would be like dead? Just curious how those people would explain this. (Since I DO believe you can damage your metabolism)

She was eating 800 below maintenance, not 800 total.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    I think that's what she means anyway
  • Vibrant_Gainz
    Vibrant_Gainz Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2016
    moto450 wrote: »

I was eating per day 800 cals usually, but with sporadic binges I countered any weight loss pretty easily. (I was on a binge, starve, restrict cycle) I am within normal weight, just rather on the low end according to my treatment team.

I've been working with my dietician to meet all my nutrition needs. Weekly I go through bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) to check on my nutrition & body comp. I was told that my nutrition has greatly improved since beginning working with my dietician and increasing calories. Both my lean mass% and body fat% have increased weekly as well.

I've been told my metabolism had severely slowed due to years of restriction/starvation, so I'm just curious as to when/if ever my metabolism will be able to adjust to "normal"? (And I will be able to gain lean mass only, not fat)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

I was eating per day 800 cals usually, but with sporadic binges I countered any weight loss pretty easily. (I was on a binge, starve, restrict cycle)

I've been working with my dietician to meet all my nutrition needs. Weekly I go through bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) to check on my nutrition & body comp. I was told that my nutrition has greatly improved since beginning working with my dietician and increasing calories.

I've been told my metabolism had severely slowed due to years of restriction/starvation, so I'm just curious as to when/if ever my metabolism will be able to adjust to "normal"?

Since you like your dietician, and you are making progress--I think that's a question for them to answer. Surely your dietician has other patients under control and has seen how long it takes for results. Good luck, by the way!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I don't really understand your comment about being able to gain lean mass only, not fat. If you are in a surplus, you will gain both. Even when lifting heavy weights you will gain fat with your muscle. This is not a negative, just reality.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    eeejer wrote: »

Malnutrition can take months or years to recover.
    search here the forums and you will find some ( horror) stories about people who had or still have a ED or just didn't eat enough nutritions

Yes. It can lead to a whole heap of medical problems even in the future that she may not have yet. Heart problems including. Definitely follow closely with a physician.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited May 2016

I was eating per day 800 cals usually, but with sporadic binges I countered any weight loss pretty easily. (I was on a binge, starve, restrict cycle) I am within normal weight, just rather on the low end according to my treatment team.

I've been working with my dietician to meet all my nutrition needs. Weekly I go through bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) to check on my nutrition & body comp. I was told that my nutrition has greatly improved since beginning working with my dietician and increasing calories. Both my lean mass% and body fat% have increased weekly as well.

I've been told my metabolism had severely slowed due to years of restriction/starvation, so I'm just curious as to when/if ever my metabolism will be able to adjust to "normal"? (And I will be able to gain lean mass only, not fat)

Are you gaining losing? maintaining
    How much calories are you eating

And why do you think your metabolism slowed down? Symptoms?

And this are more questions for your dietitian than a board.