Is it ok to eat those 2 oreos you've been craving if you jump on the elliptical and burn the 140 cal

Options

Replies

• ZLARZ
    ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The OP was advised in a earlier post to stop the "biggest loser" shenanigans and eat. OP your are starving yourself and now you've come back to ask again in a round about way "why am I hungry "?
    I'm not one to throw the ED diagnosis at folks because I'm no doctor. But I will say you're bordering on obsessive irrational behaviors per your weight loss journey.

If you need someone to talk to about negative feelings of eating properly and healthy, please seek professional advice. Good luck.

I don't even know what "ED" diagnosis would be... if your implying I may have some type of eating disorder, I dont.
    I didn't ask intend to bring up the "always hungry" question in this post. It was just to see how many people eat over limit then excercise to burn it off. Was that an ok thing to do here and there or even regularly.

Thanks for your concern.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I don't know about other threads, I know the information I've seen here:

--excessively rapid loss
    --very little amount of weight left to lose
    --not currently obese
    --eating the magical 1200 with 3+lbs a week average loss, i,e, a TDEE in the 2700+ range

The short answer is that you should be eating over 2000 calories and day and losing at less than 1lb a week. In fact your current goal should be TDEE -500 or even TDEE -250.

That would ensure several Oreos. You would also feel a heck of a lot fuller. Your "diet" would not be a chore or a hardship.

And you would have a chance to start thinking and practising how you should be eating long term as opposed to whatever crazy *kitten* you're pulling now to cope with your targets day to day.

The "benefit" of continuing to push to lose quickly will be to lose even more lean mass that you don't have to lose. And drive yourself crazy with hardship while priming your body for rebound regain.

@WinoGelato and @ummijaaz560 have already given you the answers.

The other answer is that you've lost a heck of a lot of weight and have comparatively much less left to lose.

What do you think is more important to you now? Consolidating your losses, or continuing to push a body that is now starting to actively resist what you're doing to it (as opposed to before when it was pretty much going along)?

Your fat reserves are reduced sufficiently that your hormonal balance is now changing to resist your rapid losses. Your body will adjust to reduce your rate of loss and to prime itself for regain.

You can fight tooth and nail, or you can try to make things a bit easier on you.

Your journey, your call.

Thank you for your advice.
    I put it MFP for a 1 lb a week loss and it only added 70 cals to my limit... that's crazy! When I put in 1/2 a lb it went up to 1520! Why such a HUGE difference. I wpuld rather do 1 lb a week, but it is tempting for all those extra calories to play with...
    Haven't lost any weight this week, so my body is getting used to everything g I guess. Maybe time for a change...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »

--excessively rapid loss
    --not currently obese
    --eating the magical 1200 with 3+lbs a week average loss, i,e, a TDEE in the 2700+ range

The short answer is that you should be eating over 2000 calories and day and losing at less than 1lb a week. In fact your current goal should be TDEE -500 or even TDEE -250.

That would ensure several Oreos. You would also feel a heck of a lot fuller. Your "diet" would not be a chore or a hardship.

And you would have a chance to start thinking and practising how you should be eating long term as opposed to whatever crazy *kitten* you're pulling now to cope with your targets day to day.

The "benefit" of continuing to push to lose quickly will be to lose even more lean mass that you don't have to lose. And drive yourself crazy with hardship while priming your body for rebound regain.

The other answer is that you've lost a heck of a lot of weight and have comparatively much less left to lose.

What do you think is more important to you now? Consolidating your losses, or continuing to push a body that is now starting to actively resist what you're doing to it (as opposed to before when it was pretty much going along)?

Your fat reserves are reduced sufficiently that your hormonal balance is now changing to resist your rapid losses. Your body will adjust to reduce your rate of loss and to prime itself for regain.

You can fight tooth and nail, or you can try to make things a bit easier on you.

Your journey, your call.

I put it MFP for a 1 lb a week loss and it only added 70 cals to my limit... that's crazy! When I put in 1/2 a lb it went up to 1520! Why such a HUGE difference. I wpuld rather do 1 lb a week, but it is tempting for all those extra calories to play with...
    Haven't lost any weight this week, so my body is getting used to everything g I guess. Maybe time for a change...

Because MFP will never tell you to eat less than 1200. Meaning, with the stats you put in, 1270 would give you 1 pound per week, but whatever you wanted to reach would have been way below any healthy intake.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

--excessively rapid loss
    --not currently obese

Your journey, your call.

Because .5 lbs/ week (which is what you really should be aiming for at this point) is only a 250 calorie deficit per day, instead of the 500 per day to lose 1 lb. 1270 (what you currently have) + 250 extra calories = 1520.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do it all the time when cutting calories or even when maintaining except I do the work first, keeps me more motivated to be more accountable to myself.

And I've maintained a significant loss for a little over 3 years now. The only time the weight tries to creep back on is when I don't track and don't know how much extra work to do.

As long as you're mentally healthy, there aren't any cons I've read that are convincing enough to make this a bad idea.

Make sure you're mentally healthy.
  • ZLARZ
    Options

--excessively rapid loss
    --not currently obese

Your journey, your call.

Because .5 lbs/ week (which is what you really should be aiming for at this point) is only a 250 calorie deficit per day, instead of the 500 per day to lose 1 lb. 1270 (what you currently have) + 250 extra calories = 1520.

So, what should I expect after I add these extra 300 cals? Besides feeling fuller between meals?
    Will I have some weight gain, well I guess I wouldn't as long as it's healthy foods I add for the cals.
    I'm going to do it , everyone here says I should so I will try it.
    I don't have ED or whatever was said above, don't even know what that is... I've just been working my butt off making HUGE life changes and it's hard for me to change now what's been working so well for me. I've felt grear, looking great, eating healthy and working out. I used to eat 4 Waffles for breakfast with literally almost half bottle of syrup, then usually a tombstone pizza for lunch and huge supper too followed by a big bowl of cereal before bed. The only healthy thing I did was drink only water! So I drastically changed my eating habits, that's why it's hard to mix it up now after so much hard work.

Ty for your advice and help
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would be on the elliptical 24-7 if I did it that way! Easier to plan stuff like wine or pizza or Oreos into the overall weeks allowance and make sure it nets to 1200 over the week. I'm on 1200 so familiar with the challenge!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

slcfitcollective.com/slc-fit-blog/how-does-blood-sugar-affect-weight-loss

@ZLARZ Note how one stops the ability to burn fat and instead can only store fat when eating in a way that increases blood glucose over 100.

Please becareful offering such advice to people who seem to be experiencing symptoms of disordered thinking. It can be dangerous.

You are fully aware I gave no advice in that post. To give or accept dieting advice by the way of social media would be risky behavior at best. The writer of the article points out fat loss in the presents of elevated levels of the hormone Insulin is not going to work out well. That is not advice but a biological fact.

It's not. Because of the simple fact that you'd have to have 24/7 elevated insulin for that which only happens if you eat 24/7. You're wrong and you either didn't understand the article or the article is outright lying by omission of that fact, I don't care to give one of your links the time of the day.

bodybuilding.com/fun/insulin-sensitivity-blast-fat-for-good.htm

• groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts=personally-YES I do this often. I don't eat more calories without a PLAN of working them off. Otherwise I will never LOOSE weight. For me I don't loose weight-I just gain muscle. I have a very hard time with the whole starving myself to loose weight. SO I instead play switcheroo=instead of chips=I will eat yogurt or a high protein bar. I still eat what I want-but I try to make myself eat SLOWER and drink more water.

I don't think its bad to go workout to work off those calories. Instead it gets you into the mindset to WORKOUT which is something most of us didn't do prior to coming to this site. So in the end we benefit=we change our behaviors of eating AND move around more=which in the end is a win win because we get going and used to a workout=the first week of any change is always the hardest.

So yes eat those cookies-then get moving.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts=personally-YES I do this often. I don't eat more calories without a PLAN of working them off. Otherwise I will never LOOSE weight. For me I don't loose weight-I just gain muscle. I have a very hard time with the whole starving myself to loose weight. SO I instead play switcheroo=instead of chips=I will eat yogurt or a high protein bar. I still eat what I want-but I try to make myself eat SLOWER and drink more water.

I don't think its bad to go workout to work off those calories. Instead it gets you into the mindset to WORKOUT which is something most of us didn't do prior to coming to this site. So in the end we benefit=we change our behaviors of eating AND move around more=which in the end is a win win because we get going and used to a workout=the first week of any change is always the hardest.

So yes eat those cookies-then get moving.

You should read replies first. Op is eating way too little. She needs to fix her relationship with food and exercise and adjust her expectations.
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    maybe so. most of us don't have all day to read everything-hence my quick reply.

I also suggest finding some kind of chocolate protein bar instead of oreas-they have more nutrients that the body can use for fuel..that would be my second option...switcheroo=play choices=chose a cookie or choose something better.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    If you want the two cookies, eat them. Don't beat yourself up over them. and don't hold guilty feelings. Please read all the responses above mine regarding disordered thinking when it comes to food. There's no shame in realizing your perspective is somewhat off, and that you could use a bit of help in figuring things out where food, weight loss, and your body is concerned. I'd say at least half of the members here have struggled at some point with the same issues as you. Take heart, you can do this, the right way, in the right amount of time. Good luck xo
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

I would say you can if you really want but eating what you burn is a really bad habit to get into. Burning is meant to help weightloss not enable you to eat for than you should. Maybe as a 1 off yes but not as a regular thing. E.g. my friends birthday last week was cocktails i made sure to have a huge gym session that day and select the lowest calories cocktails i could but i would never do that regularly.
    I would say a better plan is to carefully think about what you want to eat that day either plan at breakfast or the night before and aim to budget in an extra 100 calories to give yourself a little treat in the evening by reducing other consumption in the day.