Food

Options
So you can technically eat greasy and fried foods and still lose weight as long as you weigh the foods and watch the cals.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of body your working towards though if you want a tight toned body you won't get that by eating fried greasy food good eating is the way to go you will have lots of energy, feel good , will look healthy , and your body will thank you :)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    BINGO :)

I would definitely not recommend doing exclusively that, but it's such a great way to discover that "good" food and "bad" food is kind of BS. No need to feel guilt over eating something "bad" that you have the calorie allowance for. It was such a revelation for me, because I used to beat myself up over succumbing to treats.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Before I got back on my plan, I took full advantage of all the indulgences out there, and my weight showed it. I dreaded the first few days on plan with my body pissed off at me, but finally on day 4 I started feeling like it was adjusting. Yesterday for fun, I checked the calories of my favorite indulgences, and it was shocking to see the calories I could plow down. Taco Bell - two taco supremes, a mexican pizza, and a packet of cinnabons. At many local dives here in Austin you can find a great chicken fried steak, add mashed potatoes and fries, and the calories I saw yesterday were actually alarming. I think I needed to see that actual numbers, since I really have no desire to do that again. This is too much work to be knocking pounds off. I WILL have a splurge here and there though, and it most likely will be friend and greasy. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Technically you don't even have to weigh the foods... Although it is the most accurate way of ensuring you are eating in a calorie deficit...

Eating a diet of nothing but fried foods would wreak havoc on my stomach but I love bar food and chicken wings and fried zucchini with ranch dressing is one of my favorite local sports bar meals...about once every month or so. I don't weigh that when I eat it and managed to lose 30 lbs and am currently maintaining...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of calorie counting is that it makes any other weight loss method (cutting out food groups, not eating after a set time, meal replacements, intermittent fasting etc etc) redundant. All you need is a sustained calorie deficit. So you don't have to eat any particular foods to lose weight, and you don't have to cut out any foods to lose weight. For health it's a different story; a balanced diet is important for health and satiety, and satiety makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit. But you don't need to look for a "perfect" diet in order to reach optimal health - getting what we need of all nutrients while not getting in too much of anything, is good enough, and that can be achieved in an indefinite number of ways.

I too bought into the idea of "diet foods" for way too long. It made me struggle unnecessarily, and it makes me furious. MFP has really opened my eyes and finally I can maintain healthy weight because I'm confident that I can eat what I like and not regain, as long as I don't eat too much. And when I eat what I like, I don't get those intense cravings that used to trip me over.

What is greasy food anyway? Fat isn't unhealthy. Unbalanced diets are unhealthy.
  • Luccee66
    Luccee66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read your post, I feel better. I also eat things I think I shouldn't for weight loss, I tell myself it's ok I'm still in my cals or I do extra to burn them. I was just trying to make myself feel better about eating them, but still felt guilty
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Carlos I'm just saying what has worked for me yes you might have been able to get ripped by eating fried greasy food but it hasn't worked for me I think these posts are to give advice not to put down other people's advice it all comes to down to each individual person and what there goals are :)
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Carlos I'm just saying what has worked for me yes you might have been able to get ripped by eating fried greasy food but it hasn't worked for me I think these posts are to give advice not to put down other people's advice it all comes to down to each individual person and what there goals are :)

To be fair, that wasn't what you said in your first post, "this is what works for me" isn't the same as "you mustn't do this if you want a ripped body"
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    I'm not a expert but I have tried to prove I can out workout a bad diet because I loved that food to much to give it up and I wasn't able to I wish I would have started sooner if I were you just soak in advice from the guys at the gym you can tell they know what they are doing or look up bodybuilding.com for tips but most important enjoy every day every goal you made :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Arucard5 wrote: »
    So you can technically eat greasy and fried foods and still lose weight as long as you weigh the foods and watch the cals.

Yep.

I didn't cut out anything that I like, just started eating it in smaller quantities. I still eat fast food (had lunch at McDonalds yesterday). Still eat sugary/'processed' foods. Still eat veggies. Still eat whole grains. What changed was I became mindful of portion sizes, started tracking my food intake, and started eating at the correct calorie deficit for my weight loss goals.

And here I am now 50ish pounds lighter, in better health, and several years into maintenance :)
  • Arucard5
    Arucard5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Appreciate all responses guys
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm not a expert but I have tried to prove I can out workout a bad diet because I loved that food to much to give it up and I wasn't able to I wish I would have started sooner if I were you just soak in advice from the guys at the gym you can tell they know what they are doing or look up bodybuilding.com for tips but most important enjoy every day every goal you made :)

"You can't out workout a bad diet" actually refers to not being able to out workout eating more than they need to maintain, not the quality of diet. No one recommends eating junk and only junk.