Anxiety

Options
H0pesandDreams
H0pesandDreams Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone feel anxious most of though the day? Everyday?

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have horrible problems with anxiety, but I take a fabulous medication called Pristiq, and it literally changed my life. For real. Check it out.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't understand anxiety. I hear people talk about it and I have friends who are nervous but it doesn't make sense to me. I feel for people who suffer from it.
  • rloates91
    rloates91 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey. I've struggled with high anxiety and panic attacks since i was a kid (now im 25). I find exercising helps as well as avoiding really high sugar foods. Also engaging in social activities and slowly challenging myself to do things that make me anxious helps me move forwards. I still have days where i feel anxious for no reason and i am thinking of also going on meds to help me deal with that. Hope this helps
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It comes in waves for me. But generally yes, I am nervous. It's one thing if I get nervous for an event or a performance but to be sitting at home, on the couch, nervous about NOTHNG sucks.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Yes I have it. Exercise helps it a lot for general anxiety but still the situational anxiety is very difficult. I've learned a lot of tricks for grounding myself and staying calm(ER) than I used to in anxiety producing situations.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone feel anxious most of though the day? Everyday?

My husband has anxiety, CBT helps massively.

Have you been to a doctor?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yup. Exercise, breathing control, meditation, sleep, shifting frames of reference all help me.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    From time to time, usually when things get stressful at work. I drink chamomile tea during the day to help chill me out, and if I am having trouble sleeping at night I will take a valerian supplement, both of which I grow in my garden but you can also purchase them at a health food store.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    To be honest I don't understand anxiety. I hear people talk about it and I have friends who are nervous but it doesn't make sense to me. I feel for people who suffer from it.

You could probably say the same thing about people who cut themselves, or hear voices. Or any other deviation from what you consider the behavioral norm. Anxiety is related to brain circuitry, and different people are wired differently:
    ... After studying 590 animals with imaging and phenotyping, we were able to determine a circuit that is overactive in relation to anxious temperament, and includes a variety of structures known to be associated with anxiety." Kalin identifies the structures as the amygdala, the hippocampus, and the prefrontal cortex. "There are also regions in the brain stem - the periaqueductal grey matter - that are part of the overactive circuit," he adds. "What's important is that we've shown that the overactivity is stable with development...

-- source: https://sciencenode.org/feature/brain-circuitry-and-mechanisms-underlying-anxiety-uncovered.php
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes I have anxiety disorder. Unfortunately I don't have the answer as I still have it but I'm much much better. Just keep making yourself do stuff that makes u nervous. Healthy lifestyle always helps
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you might have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). A cognitive therapist can teach you techniques for dealing with the thought distortions associated with the disorder. There can also be physical conditions that cause anxiety so I'd consider having a thorough physical if you haven't had one recently.

Learning stress management techniques like meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, the relaxation response, yoga, etc. is helpful. So is reducing intake of caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine, making sure you get enough sleep and some exercise. Lifestyle changes and cognitive therapy are both highly successful in dealing with anxiety; in many cases, you don't have to resort to medications to control the disorder.

Self-medicating an anxiety disorder with alcohol is a bad idea, since you tend to bounce back from the effects of the alcohol to an even higher level of anxiety so it can become a vicious cycle leading to dependence.

A good self-help book for folks with anxiety disorders is David Burns' "When Panic Attacks". as well as his earlier "Feeling Good" and "Feeling Good Handbook".
  • LennyLentils
    LennyLentils Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with anxiety which triggers ocd symptoms and depression most of my life. It eventually got to a point where I couldn't function normally because of it and took a major breakdown for me to source help

I would seriously suggest seeing a Dr before it becomes such a problem
    A combination of therapy and medication had helped me. But they earlier it's treated the easier it is to manage.

Good luck and if u have any questions please feel free to chat

Helen :smile:
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I suffer anxiety and depression.i take drugs and see a therapist this is how I keep going.help is available most ins and Medicare pay for thearpists
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it can be debilitating.

A lot of good suggestions in this thread, I've found personally CBT and DBT are helpful, mindfullness, too.
    Most therapy options revolve around the same principles - reforming the way your mind thinks and forming more healthy thinking patterns.
  • mariv0
    mariv0 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate to be "that person," but this thread relates to me on two fronts: as an anxiety sufferer (serial inside of cheek chewer, was finally now at 25 able to kick the nail/skin around nail biting) and as a registered nurse.

I'd really love to discourage everyone here from giving medication advice. Especially over the counters. Even if you are a medical professional, you can't tell someone to take a supplement without a thorough assessment. It's negligent. The last thing you want to do is to tell someone who has a CABG/stents and is on blood thinners to take St John's Wart because you heard it helps with depression/anxiety. Advice like that can be devastating.

If you're not able to function at a peak level, your first source should always be your primary care physician. He/she can determine if you should get X med, an external consult, etc.

But as someone not on meds, I'll agree with some of the other posters above that exercise helps. Disregarding the chemical aspects, I've found that changing something about yourself you don't like is a great way to relieve anxiety.