Breakfast ideas for mild elimination diet

Options
I'm starting an "easy" elimination diet because I've been having digestive issues for quite awhile. I already know I am lactose intolerant, but this seems to be caused by something else, I just can't figure out what. The elimination diet starts with excluding all dairy, gluten, eggs, and soy for 3 weeks. I have lots of ideas of things to cook for lunch and dinner, but I like a typical "breakfast food" style of breakfast and I can't think of much. I need things that can either be prepared in ~5 minutes in the morning, or could be prepared the night before and just heated up/assembled in some way in the morning.

I do eat a lot of steel cut oats, and those can be gluten free no problem. But I don't really want to eat oatmeal for breakfast every day for 3 weeks. The other things I usually eat now include dairy, usually as greek yogurt or whey protein powder. I could make granola, but again I would normally eat it with greek yogurt, since I don't find it very satiating for the calories on its own. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make a hamburger or a pork chop.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Can you make fishcakes gluten/dairy free?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Also, can you substitute nut milks for your dairy? That might give you some options in making gluten free waffles or pancakes
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

• Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Protein shake? Smoothie? Make some muffins that adhere to your dietary restrictions? Fruit? Stir fry? Personally I'd just go with leftovers :p
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    rice with some bananas or other fruit
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Monkey salad - sliced bananas, walnuts, and coconut
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just made these muffins for the first time today and they were pretty decent. They are dairy/gluten/egg free and you could easily make them one day and then have them ready to grab and go for the next few mornings.

http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/05/25/paleo-breakfast-muffins/
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, ham, smoked pork chops, and lox (but what fun is lox if it's not on a cream cheese schmeared bagel or mixed in with scrambled eggs and goat cheese) are typical "breakfast" proteins.
    Some cereals are gluten free that you could eat dry while on the go or with a nut milk.
    Find a gluten free cookbook. I don't have any recommendations there as we're not a gluten free house but it could give you some ideas.
    Fruit.
    Possibly some Paleo recipes.
    Homemade granola bars (if you can find a recipe you like).
    Kind bars.
    Roasted potatoes with meat (get up, start oven, cube a potato or two, toss with olive oil and preferred seasonings, and roast while you shower/get ready). Bacon can be baked in the oven and there are multiple pre-cooked sausage options out there (not sure if they're gluten/dairy/egg free so you'll need to read labels) that can be microwaved.

I love all the typical American breakfast foods (except pancakes) so I'd be devastated if I couldn't have eggs or dairy.