Any weight training programmes for beginners?

Options
Hi, newbie here

Always been a walker, but have decided to try doing more weight training.

Are there any good programmes to follow? Kinda of like the weight training equivalent to the 'couch to 5k' for beginner runners?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength and AllPro Beginners routine are great for beginners. They are simple routines, that use the big compound moves. Starting strength covers good detail about technique. I'd also recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women although it is a fair bit more complicated with more moves.

Don't be afraid to start with very little weight - I couldn't lift a standard Olympic barbell when I started (thankfully my gym has one 5' barbell, plus the bars they use for bodypump classes to get myself started.

Whatever you do, don't try and create your own programme. When I started, I went to my gym and asked to be shown the specific moves, but supplement with YouTube videos. Practice form at lower weights repeatedly.

Good luck!!
  • katanak9
    katanak9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, will go have a look!
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Check out Mind Pump: it's a fitness podcast. They have some great programs, and will shed some light on the fitness industry. You'll learn a lot by listening to them. I've been following their programs for just over a month, and I have some great improvements in my trainings. It's geared for all levels, beginners to advanced.
  • luvamy200
    luvamy200 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinbeauty2005
    skinbeauty2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a week into Jamie Eason's Livefit program. It's free on bodybuilding.com. It's great to have a plan of attack when going to the gym and I feel strong and sexy afterward, even though I'm still in the learning process. :-)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm a week into Jamie Eason's Livefit program. It's free on bodybuilding.com.

^^ This is not a good beginner's program. It's a high-volume program that's more for experienced bodybuilders.

OP - the sticky post in this forum answers your question. But if you don't have strength equipment, let us know.
  • skinbeauty2005
    skinbeauty2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

^^ This is not a good beginner's program. It's a high-volume program that's more for experienced bodybuilders.

OP - the sticky post in this forum answers your question. But if you don't have strength equipment, let us know.

I disagree. You are encouraged to lift 60% of your max strength during the first 2 weeks and you are then eased into a longer, harder program as it continues. I am new to weight lifting and am doing very well with. There are exercise guides as well as videos to show you proper form. It's created for every fitness level. Your abilities determine the amount of weight you lift.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I disagree. You are encouraged to lift 60% of your max strength during the first 2 weeks and you are then eased into a longer, harder program as it continues. I am new to weight lifting and am doing very well with. There are exercise guides as well as videos to show you proper form. It's created for every fitness level. Your abilities determine the amount of weight you lift.

It's a high volume program (around 12-15 sets per body part) and splits the body into 4 days. Those are elements of a bodybuilding program for experienced lifters. Beginners who do that many sets are more likely to get overuse injuries. Most good starter programs are either full-body workouts or upper-lower splits, with around 3-5 sets per body part, rarely more.
  • kelseyframe91
    kelseyframe91 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out Popsugar Fitness on Youtube