Restaurant - Indian food

Hi guys!

Newbie to the community here!

I feel like I'm on A winning streak and am currently 4lbs down. I've been avoiding eating out like the plague but am meeting some friends I've not seen in a while for a few drinks and an Indian meal in Bradford (the curry capital of the U.K.!)

Does anyone have any particular drinks/Indian meals that I can consider so I don't undo all of my hard work.

For the meal know to steer clear of coconut/cream style and hit a preference of chicken but any recommendations are greatly received!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    I personally go for these:

Aloo Gobi- Cauliflower and potaotes in spices and minimal sauce
    Aloo zeera- Potatoes with peas in spices and minimal sauce
    Spicy mixed vegetables with curry- just veggies and curry seasonings

I try to stay away from the tasty saucey dishes like paneer makhani, the full curry dishes, etc. ^ P.S. the above are vegetarian, but i'd see what they're offering and apply the same mentality to whatever meat you enjoy. **Go for tandoori, tikka or bhuna dishes as they’re made without a sauce or are quite dry.

I also order 1 bread and my partner orders 1 rice so we eat a half portion of both. ;)

I say it's only one night, but with the above i still manage to hit around the 800-1,000 calorie mark.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Tandoori chicken would be excellent, cucumber raita , even a small bit of chapati. A bit of rice is OK too.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Anything that's not in a creamy sauce won't do too much damage.

Go for tandoori, madras, jalfrezi, rogan, bhuna, byriani and anything tomato based.

Saying that I get a chicken kashmiri with extra mango and pineapple, special fried rice, and a cheese naan.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I really love fish tikka on a salad. You can still do naans, too. Occasionally, I'll go to a buffet and get 2 plates of food. I just log it as ~1200 calories and call it a day.
  • liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Biryiani is full of fat lol. I used to work in an indian. You could try chicken Salan dish or ghosht salan. Those are made with tomato sauce. Most things ate premade so it will go to hell anyway lol
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Try and order from the tandoori menu and have a veggie side instead of rice. Though you could just treat yourself, I mean, curry is the food of the gods!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Like others have said, tandoori. Watch the amount of rice, probably skip the naan.

That's what I did when I first started.

Then I decided I'd rather just have Indian more rarely, plan a significant workout around it or plan ahead, and then eat what I wanted.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I love me some paneer tika masala and malai kofta. These are calorie bombs so I don't have them often, and I either eat less the rest of the day to make room for them, have them on days when I do more exercise, or just accept going over for the day; usually it's a little of each.
  • Geordiegal08
    Geordiegal08 Posts: 19 Member
    Fish tandoori with daal for a side is normally my go to. It I'm with a group I'll normally treat myself to a little naan too. I avoid rice, but I find its like Pringles for me...once I start I can't stop! That could be just me!