Breastfeeding caused me to be underweight anyone the same?

Options
marley94xx
marley94xx Posts: 1 Member
Before I was pregnant I weighed 58kg and still skinny now down to 47kg and am technically underweight. Anyone else rapidly loose weight because of breastfeeding? Also is it safe to use whey protien if I dont exactly 'work out' but am still very active as I walk a lot, and is it safe while breastfeeding?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This happened to me with my second baby, breast fed her for 13 months and at the end of it I was 102 lbs. With my 3rd baby I discovered Mfp so really tracked my calories as good as I possibly could. The lowest my weight went down to while breastfeeding this time was 108 lbs, and I've gained a couple since then as well. Track your calories add in 300-500 for breastfeeding and adjust if you are losing or maintaining. Whey is fine while breastfeeding.
  • maruato
    maruato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ended up. 20lbs underweight while nursing my second child, which is huge for someone who is only 5'2". I actually supplemented with formula when she was about 7 months old just to try and get my weight back up. I started gaining it back once she was weaned, but I'm still slightly underweight which is why I'm on a weight gain diet right now.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, with my second I started to feel like she was eating me! Not with the others, though.

Yes whey protein is safe, it's just milk protein. Make sure you drink a LOT of water and eat well. What works for me if I need to gain is to buy each week a box of Triscuits and package of hummus and eat this as a snack, in addition to whatever else I am eating, since it's high calorie and reasonably nutritious.

When you do wean, pay particular attention to eating enough calcium, Vitamin D and get sunshine - this is one of the only times in your adult life you can add bone mass and if you have been getting too underweight your bones may be losing density now.

Also, how tall are you? 47kg might actually be fine if you are short.
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding will actually burn about 400 cal. a day, roughly. That is why breastfeeding mothers usually drop their baby weight faster than bottle feeding. I dropped my weight and was back to a normal weight after both of my babies, I was severely underweight at conception. It is recommended that you eat more while you are breastfeeding than while you are pregnant.