Weight loss with chronic illness?

Options
Hi all, I've managed to lose around 45lb so far but now I've signed up here as progress has, as you would expect, slowed down so I've come for a bit of support! Due to my illness I find it very difficult to do basic tasks at times, even a bath is too much on bad days. I'm just looking for anyone who is in a similar situation :) I'm 6ft 2 and around 15st now and obviously inactive. Does 1900 calories a day sound about right to lose 1lb a week?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, chronic illness sucks! Hugs! Calorie deficit is for weight loss!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's ok though I'm used to it! I'm feeling happy and determined to shift this last 20lb (ish)
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi! I have chronic pain and illness. I totally relate to having bad days. I'm stubborn and try to get out walking as much as possible as I find it helps me mentally. Clearly, some days this is impossible, but for me it's all about doing what I can, when I can (I'm very stubborn lol). My biggest challenge is eating really as my Illness means I get sick and can't aways eat properly. I find it's just trying to be consistent and sticking with things is the key. Try the 1900 and if you're not losing, lose 100 cals a week until you are losing.

Good luck... :)
  • paulgads82
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I weighed myself this morning and have lost 3lb in the two weeks since my last weigh (scales aren't the most reliable) but 18-1900 seems to be working. I find it hard to be as precise as 1900 but the amount I'm eating doesn't leave me hungry and I'm much happier keeping an accurate record of every calorie. I've also noticed just how carb heavy my diet is and I think that needs to change!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No problem! I'm glad to hear you are doing well and it's working for you. :) Some find that looking at the week's deficit as a whole is helpful as it's not always realistic to be right on each day. Some you may be over, others under. Logging is really helpful though, for sure!

Don't stress too much if you eat a lot of carbs. As long as you're getting enough fats and protein, then you're likely fine. Great job though... Keep it up. :)
  • paulgads82
    Options
    Ah that's good to know, having a big protein meal later :)

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have chronic pain, too. Fibro and Dysautonomia. I do the best I can, rest the days I need to and I slowly built up my stamina since last summer. It's helped. In the end though, you don't need exercise. Is it beneficial? yes. But for weight loss purposes, you only need a calorie deficit which can be done just by eating less.

I eat a carb heavy diet and I'm satisfied. Carbs don't have anything to do with losing weight, it's simply calories in and calories out. Eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :) I weighed myself this morning and have lost 3lb in the two weeks since my last weigh (scales aren't the most reliable) but 18-1900 seems to be working. I find it hard to be as precise as 1900 but the amount I'm eating doesn't leave me hungry and I'm much happier keeping an accurate record of every calorie. I've also noticed just how carb heavy my diet is and I think that needs to change!

I find more protein in relationship to carbs keeps me fuller longer, but this is an individual thing. What % of protein are you getting?

The first time I used MFP, in 2012, I just used the default macros: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.. This time around, I reduced my carbs and upped my protein and found this combo fills me up better, thus making it easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit.
  • paulgads82
    Options
    66% Carbs. The last 2 days I've had more protein and definitely feel fuller. To be honest the only time I feel really hungry is the hour or so before my evening meal. I quite like it as I truly appreciate the food when it's time to eat.
  • paulgads82
    Options
    Sorry you asked protein not carbs. 18% protein.