Benefits of Fitbit?

I use my phone to log activity as pretty much always keep it on me and use S Fit to record steps. But what are the added benefits to actually getting something like a fitbit?

Is it worth it or should I just stick with my phone pedometer?

Replies

• mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    I plan on getting the Fitbit Charge HR. I may be off on this because it is second hand information. If I am wrong surely someone who has it will step in and correct me. The Charge HR keeps a continuous check on your heart rate. That combined with the ability to isolate a time period (when you are working out) gives a much better calculation of calories burned. That is one of the biggest reasons I want one. I like the fact that it syncs with MFP. I am not fond of my phone pedometer simply because it cannot leave my person. Right now I have a cheaper activity watch that keeps track of my steps. For someone who doesn't mind having a phone on them all the time it most likely isn't a problem. Cell phones drive me crazy though. You do not get a minute of peace. I plan on getting mine when I hit my first goal which is 25 lbs. I have 18 left to go.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    There are probably two main benefits for something like an entry-level fitbit, for most people:

(1) It means not having to carry a phone all the time, not missing out on a bunch of steps when you don't have your phone, maybe it's on the charger. Sounds like this won't be an issue for you.

(2) The website is a social network and a lot of people have fitbits. A lot of people find the competition aspect pretty motivating. If seeing that your friend has more steps than you will motivate you to go for a walk, that can help you burn some calories and avoid snacking. If you won't use those features or won't find them motivating, then it won't really offer much beyond your phone.

And then some of them have more advanced features like round-the-clock heart tracking, obviously that's not to be found in a smart phone. You pay more for features like that, and their value probably lies mostly in their ability to motivate you.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    I love my Fitbit...my favourite feature has to be the sleep function. I've managed to up my sleep minutes dramatically using the information I glean, which is huge, I thought 4 or 5 hours of sleep was sufficient, what a difference 7-8 makes!!...my activity level has risen dramatically from Sedentary all the way up to Active....and the Premium has weekly reporting, so you can follow your trends and tweak your diet/exercise accordingly.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    mitsimr wrote: »
    I plan on getting the Fitbit Charge HR. I may be off on this because it is second hand information. If I am wrong surely someone who has it will step in and correct me. The Charge HR keeps a continuous check on your heart rate. That combined with the ability to isolate a time period (when you are working out) gives a much better calculation of calories burned. That is one of the biggest reasons I want one. I like the fact that it syncs with MFP. I am not fond of my phone pedometer simply because it cannot leave my person. Right now I have a cheaper activity watch that keeps track of my steps. For someone who doesn't mind having a phone on them all the time it most likely isn't a problem. Cell phones drive me crazy though. You do not get a minute of peace. I plan on getting mine when I hit my first goal which is 25 lbs. I have 18 left to go.
    I still haven't succumbed to the pressure of purchasing a cell phone! There's nothing more annoying to me than seeing that device in someone's hand, all day....and it's everywhere!
  • bumsa2016
    bumsa2016 Posts: 12 Member
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR. It does all the work for me.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    I have FitBit HR Charge. I've gotten so much information from it, including how I sleep. Seeing my resting HR go down as I get more fit. Easy to use. Syncs to phone app and to laptop. And it will look at your contact list for friends who have fitbits too and you can challenge each other. Also, it connects to your phone for calls, so it will vibrate and show who is calling in case you are away from your phone or somewhere where you shouldn't be checking your phone ;) I recommend it without reservation.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    I have the Charge HR and the Fitbit One. I find that Fitbit motivates me more. The HR tracks your continuous heart rate and on the app it will show as graph. Both also tracking number of floors climbed. At work there are 2 flights of stairs to get to the upstairs offices. It has motivated me to use the stairs instead of the elevator, to see how may floors I can log. It tracks your sleep and shoes how many time you were restless and how many times you woke up. Also tracks active minutes and hours where you had more than 250 steps.