Question

Options
Is It Good To Stretch Out Before Workout & After Working ...Especially When Working With The Weights???

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dynamic stretching(jumping jacks,jump rope,arm circles,arm swings,etc you can look it up and get more ideas) is better before working out, whether its weights or something else, regular stretching(static stretching) is better after working out, when muscles are already warm. you dont want to do whats called static stretching(normal) before as your muscles are not properly warmed up and can cause an injury while working out. things of a cold rubber band,if you stretch it when cold it will snap. I have never had an injury doing it this way.the old fashioned way was to stretch before but its best after.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Warm up the muscles then stretch before working out, then stretch again after cooling down.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Warm up the muscles then stretch before working out, then stretch again after cooling down.

a warm up before is all that is needed. why would you need to warm up and stretch?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i only sometimes stretch a little before lifting if i feel stiff, but i do spend a fair amount of time warming up. and i dont stretch directly after lifting when my muscles are hot, i wait until my muscles are cooled down before stretching. I stretch a lot outside of the gym, about 6 times a day i go through a 5-10 minute stretching routine. i love stretching
  • PiperGirl08
    Options

a warm up before is all that is needed. why would you need to warm up and stretch?

Because warming up and stretching are not the same thing. Is this a trick question?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

Because warming up and stretching are not the same thing. Is this a trick question?

no they are not the same thing
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    never said that they were the same thing. she needs to warm up before and stretch after. I have been lifting weights for almost 4 years and I warm up before and stretch after. I dont warm up,stretch,work out then stretch again after I cool down.I have not had any injuries. but hey if a warm up and a stretch work for you then so be it but I dont think both are needed at the same time before a workout.some people roll out with a foam roller before and after their workout too,I only roll out after if I feel like Im going to be sore.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I warm up, stretch, lift. That's it. No cool down or post lifting stretch. Nothing wrong with; I just personally don't do it.
  • PiperGirl08
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have been lifting weights since my competitive swimmer and rower days through high school and college, and up the present, many years removed. I think I'll go with my experience (and successes) over that of your vast 4 years.

It is up to the OP to do her own research and make use of a sequence that works for her and helps her stay injury free.

None of the responses here have to be filtered, approved or validated by you, however. Four years. Good grief.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I have been lifting weights since my competitive swimmer and rower days through high school and college, and up the present, many years removed. I think I'll go with my experience (and successes) over that of your vast 4 years.

It is up to the OP to do her own research and make use of a sequence that works for her and helps her stay injury free.

None of the responses here have to be filtered, approved or validated by you, however. Four years. Good grief.

and there is no reason why you need to be snarky either,and whats wrong with 4 years?
  • PiperGirl08
    Options

and there is no reason why you need to be snarky either,and whats wrong with 4 years?

Four years is neither wrong nor right. It is just an awfully short time to use as a foundation for arguing against measures that help prevent injury and ensure longevity. Also, I would remind you that you put the number into play, perhaps without realizing that it wouldn't carry the weight you thought it might(?) Odd.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard different!

You should warm up the body, but stretch as a cool down.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

You should warm up the body, but stretch as a cool down.
    ^Agree.
    A few studies have found that static stretching actually weakens the stretched muscle for awhile, not exactly ideal for weight training!
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2013/04000/Acute_Effect_of_Passive_Static_Stretching_on.13.aspx

I usually do a lot of what @CharlieBeansmomTracey suggested before lifting: jump rope, jumping jacks, arm circles, leg swings. Easy cardio warmup and dynamic stretches. I save static stretching for the end.
  • PiperGirl08
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

A few studies have found that static stretching actually weakens the stretched muscle for awhile, not exactly ideal for weight training!
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2013/04000/Acute_Effect_of_Passive_Static_Stretching_on.13.aspx

I usually do a lot of what @CharlieBeansmomTracey suggested before lifting: jump rope, jumping jacks, arm circles, leg swings. Easy cardio warmup and dynamic stretches. I save static stretching for the end.

It should probably go without saying that the highly informative article speaks to a very specific type of stretching. Meanwhile, there has been no mention on this thread, by anyone, of what type of stretching is under consideration.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Four years is neither wrong nor right. It is just an awfully short time to use as a foundation for arguing against measures that help prevent injury and ensure longevity. Also, I would remind you that you put the number into play, perhaps without realizing that it wouldn't carry the weight you thought it might(?) Odd.

so just because Ive been doing it a short time that means I dont know anything right? I have done lots of research and have never injured myself in those 4 years and I lift heavy too.I also use proper form. even as a beginner I have never had an injury.most body builders and weight lifters as well as the sites for weight lifting recommend warming up first,then static stretching afterwards. nowhere does it say to stretch as well before hand.I guess all those trainers,lifters,etc are wrong as well?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Hey can I get in on this willy measuring contest that seems to be occurring?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

It should probably go without saying that the highly informative article speaks to a very specific type of stretching. Meanwhile, there has been no mention on this thread, by anyone, of what type of stretching is under consideration.
    The original poster asked what is best to stretch before or after. I told her what was best per the research I have done(and what lifters,trainers,etc do). then you said to warm up,stretch,workout then stretch after you cool down. then I said what I said and then you came in saying that warming up and stretching werent the same thing,which I never said it was. most people when they ask when they should stretch dont know the difference between dynamic or static stretching,so they assume stretching means static stretching. before I started I didnt know there was a difference either. I think its important to inform others of the difference.