How often should you eat?

I know it's good to eat small meals or snacks throughout the day. This helps maintain or increase your metabolism. But how often should you eat to increase weight loss? Is it every 2-3 hours or 3-4 hours? All advice will be taken. I am just trying to find the most effective methods.

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    How often are you hungry?

If you are hungry frequently, then eat more frequently. But if you like to have a big meal and then not eat for quite some time that is okay too.

It depends on what best manages your hunger and allows you to stay in a calorie deficit.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    i eat every 2 to 3 hours, but that's because i have type 2 diabetes, and the smaller meals more often don't increase my blood sugar as much as larger meals every 3 to 4 hours. it also satisfies my desire to munch :)

but there's no "best" frequency to eat. there are people here doing well eating one huge meal once a day, people losing weight eating two large meals or just about any frequency you can think of.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Eating frequently has no real effect on metabolism. If you prefer to eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day, go ahead, just make sure to stay within your calorie limits. Alternatively you can eat just two or three larger meals and get the same effect (that is my personal preference, and I've lost 50 lbs this way). There does seem to be some emerging research that having fewer meals, and longer periods of fasting between meals improves insulin resistance, but the bottom line is that you have to find what works for you (both in terms of controlling appetite as well as your lifestyle). Meal timing probably doesn't make significant difference for most people; the calorie deficit is the thing!
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    I eat breakfast around 6:30 AM. Lunch at 12 noon and dinner around 5 or 6 PM. I eat a snack like fresh fruit between meals if I feel hungry. I try to leave around 300 or 400 calories for the day after dinner so if I get hungry late in the night I can have something without going over my daily goal.
  • acfiske
    acfiske Posts: 3 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Your metabolism continues to work with small meals or big meals. Eating small meals does not "keep your metabolism moving." It is a myth. So eat when you want. I eat most of my calories at night (600-800) and have lost 23lbs. Meal timing or size does not matter. A calorie deficit does.
    Wow!! That is awesome to know! Why has almost everyone I've talked to say that in slows your metabolism? So confusing! So would it matter if one day I snacked and the next I ate 3 big meals? Would that be alright or would it confuse my body?

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    acliley wrote: »
    But how often should you eat to increase weight loss?

There isn't such a thing. Eat as often as you want. Some people eat once a day others 7 times a day.

Don't make weight loss so complicated. It isn't at all. It is no different than normal life. Only thing different is measuring and logging and fitting inside your goal. Good luck :) Don't fret :)
  • tlflag1620
    Your metabolism continues to work with small meals or big meals. Eating small meals does not "keep your metabolism moving." It is a myth. So eat when you want. I eat most of my calories at night (600-800) and have lost 23lbs. Meal timing or size does not matter. A calorie deficit does.
    Wow!! That is awesome to know! Why has almost everyone I've talked to say that in slows your metabolism? So confusing! So would it matter if one day I snacked and the next I ate 3 big meals? Would that be alright or would it confuse my body?

Your body doesn't get "confused". You eat food, you digest food, you use the macronutrients for energy and various other bodily processes. Your body doesn't particularly "care" whether the nutrients come in one giant meal or 16 episodes of nibbling, so long as nutritional needs are met. For planning purposes, you might find it easier to establish a "schedule" for meals and snacks, but it is optional. Like everyone has mentioned, weight loss boils down to eating at a calorie deficit. How you get that deficit is largely irrelevant.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member

Because people grasp onto whatever the media tells them, which unfortunately leads to misinformation.

Bottom line is that as long as you are in a calorie deficit, your body will not get "confused". There are days that I do exactly what you have described with no issues. Just make sure your are logging accurately.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member

Of course this would be alright, bodies don't get confused minds do. Just weigh and log and stay under goal.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I eat many small meals a day some days and a couple large meals other days. I actually prefer many small meals just because I have found my body often tends to get sluggish after eating a larger meal, but on days where I am busy I may grab a piece of fruit or protein bar if I get a chance, otherwise I eat a couple meals a day.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    The idea that you "should" eat frequent small meals is a myth.

The key is simply to find an eating pattern that helps you stick to your goal. Everybody is different. Some people find it easier to stick to their goal if they eat frequently but keep to smaller meals each time they eat. Other people find their goals easier to stick with if they get to have big meals but eat less frequently and skip snacking.

Experiment a little and pay attention to your hunger and how psychologically satisfied you feel at the end of each meal and in between meals.

Does waiting a long time between meals bother you more?
    Or does feeling like you've hardly started eating when your meal is already over bother you more?
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2016
    It all depends on you!

Lots of people here eat a vast majority of their calories at one time, and they're okay for the whole day. Some people like big breakfasts and small dinners, some people barely eat in the morning at all and have big meals at the end of the day, and people like me are munching small things all day long hah.

It took me a bit of experimenting to find what works best for my own appetite. On work days I have one slice of toast and a banana for breakfast, but a few hours into my day I have a second coffee to satisfy the peckishness, and then a Kashi or Special K bar around 10-11 am. Then I have lunch, which is a sandwich or wrap or chicken caesar salad, with 2 or 3 small snacks like fruit, yogurt cups, and a 100 calorie chip packet. I'm usually pretty starving by dinner, but I cook ahead of time if I can so that dinner is quick to heat up (helps me from stopping at a drive-thru on my 20min drive home). I almost always have room for a dessert, too.

1400-1600 calories is my usual. At first I was always hungry all the time, but I found the foods and the timing that keeps me from getting too hungry, and it's been working ever since :). The key is to bring along all your food for the day, pre-logged in your diary. That way you don't make a bad decision based on being starving.

And water water water! It doesn't replace food for me, but if I drink 3 or 4 750ml bottles full, my stomach doesn't growl constantly. I love 0cal water enhancers like Mio because then it tastes like juice!
  • tlflag1620
    Villae81 wrote: »
    5 meals a day breakfast lunch and dinner and 2 snacks

If that works for you and you are happy with it, great! But it really isn't necessary to eat on any particular schedule to lose weight.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I know it's good to eat small meals or snacks throughout the day. This helps maintain or increase your metabolism. But how often should you eat to increase weight loss? Is it every 2-3 hours or 3-4 hours? All advice will be taken. I am just trying to find the most effective methods.

That's all actually about 99% bro-science.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member

Weight loss is about calories.
    Meal timing and meal size does not change your metabolism.
    I eat about every 3-5 hours between 8 AM and 9 PM because that is when I get hungry and it suits my schedule.
    Breakfast- about 8 AM... 200-300 calories
    Lunch- about noon...300-500 calories
    Dinner- about 6 PM... 500-600 calories
    Snacks- about 3 PM and 9 PM...100-300 calories
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    I nibble frequently throughout the day; but, eat most of my calories in the evening; heck a lot of them once I know what my TDEE is for the day (so around midnight).

While I am sure it is not the most OPTIMAL pattern; it sure hasn't stopped me from losing almost a full you :smile:
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    I used to get so confused on this too. I eat all my calories in a 6 hour window. I don't really understand the whole metabolism thing. I've heard you can't really change your bmr that much. But I do know that you burn more when you feel energized, so whatever gives you the most energy to burn more calories would be the best for you. I love the mornings now since I get a huge dinner. I get so much more done.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Eating small meals or snacks through out the day is detrimental for me. It'll be hard to keep a good oral hygiene (I like to brush after eating) and be hard to keep my appetite down. And, don't you have anything else to do other than worry about foods all days?