Ladies who Lift

Options
So here a few facts about me: Dont have money for a gym membership, Does have a bowflex, Does have fibromyalgia

That being said, I would like some advice and perhaps an individual I can go to for questions when it comes to starting to lift. First question, I would like a starting point on reps and sets for my blowflex and maybe a few general exercises for each part of my body to get me started.

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    bump
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm just a beginner, so I can't help you. But I've found a lot of help and information on the "Eat, Train, Progress" group. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit so there's lifting but I know nothing about doing it with a Bowflex. My mom has fibro and I think lifting might get debilitating for you if you're not careful. I don't know how advanced your fibro is but I would stay start out with light weights and high reps. Make sure to eat plenty of protein for muscle recovery.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am assuming here that you just want to help with some strength, definition and LBM maintenance.

I would recommend doing a 3 x a week full body workout if you can. You should start off in the 15/20 rep range to get accustomed to the move and to 'wake your muscles up', assuming you have not strength trained before (of you have keep it to the 12 - 15 range) and then after a few weeks drop to the 8 - 12 range.

A full body should include something like:

- chest press
    - overhead press
    - row
    - lat pull down
    - leg curl
    - leg press (assuming you have the attachments)

I would also throw some pistol squats in if you have time (or alternate with the leg press) - I would not do a squat using the bowflex.

Try to do 2 - 4 sets, depending on time, and when 12 reps gets easy, up the weight and drop the reps to 8.

Edited not to suggest you lift 3 x a day as that would be silly!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am assuming here that you just want to help with some strength, definition and LBM maintenance.

I would recommend doing a 3 x a day full body workout if you can. You should start off in the 15/20 rep range to get accustomed to the move and to 'wake your muscles up', assuming you have not strength trained before (of you have keep it to the 12 - 15 range) and then after a few weeks drop to the 8 - 12 range.

A full body should include something like:

- chest press
    - overhead press
    - row
    - lat pull down
    - leg curl
    - leg press (assuming you have the attachments)

I would also throw some pistol squats in if you have time (or alternate with the leg press) - I would not do a squat using the bowflex.

Try to do 2 - 4 sets, depending on time, and when 12 reps gets easy, up the weight and drop the reps to 8.

^I would definitely follow Sara's advice and do this 3 x a Week. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^I would definitely follow Sara's advice and do this 3 x a Week. :)

lol - I am so glad you spotted that!
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Thank you ladies, and my fibro is pretty bad BUT i work in childcare full time and teach a p.e. circuit for kinders. So i think i can handle slowly incorporating some lifting. I want to get stronger, the stronger i am, the less everything else can hurt. I appreciate all the help and advice!