Best Place to Meet Active People?

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am near maintenance. I joined a gym in January and have been consistently working out with a trainer.

I have very few active friends. I used to like bicycling, swimming, playing tennis, hiking & karate. I am not sure what I would enjoy, maybe kayaking.

Has anyone experienced this? I want to move away from social gatherings that are centered around food and replace it with activities. I want to have fun, move, and burn more calories. Any suggestions? I'm in the 50+ age range.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Around here there are lots of opportunities to do active things with people. Most of them are on meetup.com now if you have that. Traditionally there were a few local running clubs (and often running groups centered in running shoe stores that you could meet up with for an evening run for less commitment than a race-training thing). Also masters swimming groups (all levels welcome--for that the US Masters Swim website is helpful in finding local groups, and there might be stuff at the Y), triathlon training, and various hiking and biking group rides (again on meetup but usually also run out of a outdoorsy or biking store). There's also a kayaking club. (I'm sure there's tennis stuff, but I haven't played in almost 20 years, so am out of the loop on that.) If you don't have meetup, I'd try googling your town or county and the activity plus group or club. If you have athletic stores I'd also check their websites or go in and ask or see if they have anything posted.

Good luck!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. Completely forgot about meetup. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've met heaps of people and made friends by going to parkrun every Saturday since October.

Not sure they have parkrun where you are, but if not, this info might help others reading.