Trying to lose weight, but there's a hunger battle

Status = 21 years old, college student, 5'6, ~150 lbs, trying to drop 10 (2 a week for 5 weeks), exercise = jogging at about 5 and a half mph for 35 minutes a day (~3 mile jog).

Here are some photos of what my eating and exercise look like:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/xxEliza321xx/9DCB5632-3233-424E-ABF7-37BE9E5F6D12_zpsau7emjmh.png

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/xxEliza321xx/74E576D8-167B-4ED8-A0F7-2F38D772B677_zpsunycksuf.png

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/xxEliza321xx/6EFFE2FC-D099-4F26-90E6-49942D665AC6_zps6mmymxqj.png

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/xxEliza321xx/37D599C2-08EC-4508-8702-A84CE328A367_zps6ybkynk0.png

Today is day 1 for me.

Problem is, I get hungry between meals & I'm afraid to snack because I don't want to add more calories on to what I already have here....I'm getting by with milk, water, and staying busy today, but it is frustrating!

Any suggestions for me? Modifications?

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    You have my admiration if you can keep up that running of yours for weeks and months. That's the upper end of my running which I only do every other day and I lose wt like crazy after run days! Good luck.

To deal with hunger during the first week, I ate cashew, almond, boiled eggs, and drank water. Worked great.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    I am not seeing any fruits and it seems you get most of your calories from other carbs. it could be what is triggering your hunger (just my experience). Perhaps just experiment with timing of your meals and cutting down on the carbs and increasing both protein and fiber could help with the hunger.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Problem is, I get hungry between meals & I'm afraid to snack because I don't want to add more calories on to what I already have here....I'm getting by with milk, water, and staying busy today, but it is frustrating!

Suggestion: Measure and count that milk! It has calories a plenty. Do not drink it like water.
  • endlessfall16
    With only 10 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. Set MFP to lose .5 a lb per week. You'll get to eat more.

This. Don't try to lose 2 a week with so little to lose.

You shouldn't BE hungry. But I'd be starving eating as you are.

More protein, more fat, less soba.
    Hey Sabine,

What about even with 10 lbs or less to lose, going by 10% of your weight to lose ok?
  • xxeliza321xx
    xxeliza321xx Posts: 15 Member
    I am not seeing any fruits and it seems you get most of your calories from other carbs. it could be what is triggering your hunger (just my experience). Perhaps just experiment with timing of your meals and cutting down on the carbs and increasing both protein and fiber could help with the hunger.

I think you overlooked the watermelon, but you're right on the other two points - I'm gonna try to cut back on the soba & eat six smaller meals a day.
  • xxeliza321xx
    junodog1 wrote: »

Suggestion: Measure and count that milk! It has calories a plenty. Do not drink it like water.

I did indeed! I only drank a cup, measured!
  • xxeliza321xx
    You have my admiration if you can keep up that running of yours for weeks and months. That's the upper end of my running which I only do every other day and I lose wt like crazy after run days! Good luck.

To deal with hunger during the first week, I ate cashew, almond, boiled eggs, and drank water. Worked great.

You mean hard boiled, right? And how much of everything?
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Being hungry all the time makes it extremely difficult, and losing weight too fast makes it more likely you'll give up and gain it back. Eat a little more, lose weight a little slower, and you're much more likely to successfully keep it off.
  • heatherette2222
    heatherette2222 Posts: 1 Member
    I had the same problem until my doctor said to stop eating foods in high carbs. eat low carb foods. eat celery and peanut butter between meals :)
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Hey there,
    I can empathize with the hunger pangs. As you change your diet, your body responds by triggering cravings to get your calories back to previous amounts.

From someone who quit smoking and changed diet, the sugar cravings felt worse than my nicotine cravings.

At first, my between meals were fruit. Got a sugar fix from that. Now, I've moved to celery, carrots, and peas to munch on between meals.

If this is more than a 5 week fix, I'd suggest taking a few more good calories and drop those 10 lbs a little slower.

• endlessfall16

You mean hard boiled, right? And how much of everything?

Yes, hard boiled eggs. They can kept almost anywhere for quite some time. Super convenient.

Same thing with dry, unsalted nuts and dried fruits (cranberries, cherries) which I always keep loads at home. I bring two eggs on exercise days. Also measure out 300-400 calories of the nuts, but I just need 4, 6 kernels at the odd time that hunger strikes. Otherwise eat them around 3pm when energy is low or if possible 5pm before driving home for a mini workout.

I don't care about cravings. I only pay attention to hunger --calorie/carbs-wise if I'll be physically active -- and if hunger related issues occur such as shaking, headache. Otherwise, it's also ignored because I know I''m well nourished or won't be burning much calories.

• I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Since you are a student we may be in a similar boat
    I'm doing my masters at the moment and because I sometimes start lectures at 10.30 to 1pm or have days off I try to have my first meal between 10 and 11 pm..then go to the gym.. next meal right after the gym at 12.30 to 1.. sometimes even 2pm.. then an apple then between 4 and 5pm and then between 8 and 10pm .. the later I start eating the less time i have to eat and the more I can control my hunger through out the day

and try eating stuff like broccoli .. 100 grams looks like a lot in the plate and is filling but has very little calories

• ArnoldTheHobbit
    ArnoldTheHobbit Posts: 2 Member
    What worked for me was cutting down on the carbs. 15% carbs/45% fat/ 40% protein, this can be a bit expensive though. And yea, set your goal to 1 lbs a week. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You're eating way too little for what you have to lose. OF COURSE you're hungry. Pick a reasonable goal.

I don't get this... if you follow an aggressive diet and you're hungry, does it just never occur to people to just pick a less aggressive/more realistic goal?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're eating way too little for what you have to lose. OF COURSE you're hungry. Pick a reasonable goal.

I don't get this... if you follow an aggressive diet and you're hungry, does it just never occur to people to just pick a less aggressive/more realistic goal?

Exactly. I mentioned this up-thread, and it was ignored by the OP. Clearly she's only interested in fast weight loss. If that's the case, I can't help her.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    OP you shouldn't ignore these 2 posts below. They gave you the perfect advice. Don't do what works for others (like the eggs and nuts thing). You need to set up your diet and exercise profile again to lose .5 a week and take it slow. Losing 2lbs per week is only safe for those who have 75lbs+ to lose. Don't burn yourself out. You'll still be in a deficit and will lose the weight.
    With only 10 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. Set MFP to lose .5 a lb per week. You'll get to eat more.
    Francl27 wrote: »

Eat more protein and fat, too. And you need to weigh all your foods with a food scale and chose database entries that match the packaging.No doubt about that.

Oh....fast weight loss will only work against you. Slow down.