Recumbent bikes

Options
Now I've been riding my recumbent bike for a while, but I don't think I'm riding it properly. How fast am I suppose to ride? How long each week? How many days a week? When I ride I'm usually going a constant 17.5-18.5mph. I am severely overweight and am really just getting serious about this. Can anyone comment and let me know what I should be doing?
(I know everyone's different but if I know what I should roughly be doing I can set it as goals)

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about biking is that it's whatever you want to make of it. What do YOU want from your biking? Without knowing what you want, no one can really suggest a goal. If you're riding to lose weight, bike a few hours a week and make sure you count your calories to create a deficit. I find that MFP overestimates calories burned, especially in biking, so don't eat back all your exercise calories.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure if you do a search on training schedule for recumbent bike, you will find loads of plans that you can check out.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah there really is no wrong way to ride a stationery bike, especially a recumbent one. Look at different plans, maybe play with whatever programmable "circuits" your bike may have (and/or look online), and have fun experimenting to find or build a plan that you enjoy doing so you'll stick with it.