evening/night snacking

Sorry if this question has been answered before. I am new to this and learning more about the calories and all the dieting stuff. (I have dieted in the past, but it was not in a healthy way) I am just curious if I have calories left at the end of the day, is it ok to snack without going over? I don't want to seem too self concious or thinking too much lol. But I'm just wondering if late night eating has downfalls. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    It's perfectly fine and will have no effect on long term goals.

Your body doesn't care how or when it gets energy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Go for it!!!
    All the stuff you hear about not eating before bed is all a bunch of myth.

When you eat doesn't matter. It's all about how much.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    At the margins there might be a difference.

120 lbs down over a period of 2 years with usually a good half eaten after 8pm argues for eating as per your timing preference within your caloric limits.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I have an evening snack planned as I know I'll want something at that time.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited May 2016
    It doesn't matter what time of day you eat. Stay within your calorie goal and eat when you like.

In the US, we are so accustomed to the 50s sitcom, "Dad comes home at 6, that's dinnertime" mentality. In other countries--countries that don't have our obesity problem--dinner is at 8 or 9 pm. If it's ok to eat dinner at that time, it's ok to snack. It truly doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    It doesn't matter at all. I've always been a nighttime eater so I tailor my days such that I can have dinner and then still snack until bedtime. That's how I like to eat so I'm not fighting it. And...I lost 40lbs while doing it.
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    I think it doesn't matter that you eat at night, as long as you stay under your daily calorie intake and don't eat anything that will make it hard for you to sleep.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,444 Member
    Perfectly OK. It's midnight here and I'm eating cheese crackers just before bed. :)
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    It doesn't matter. I eat a snack every evening before bed.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    DennisA70 wrote: »
    I think it doesn't matter that you eat at night, as long as you stay under your daily calorie intake and don't eat anything that will make it hard for you to sleep.

That's right. Nighttime eating may be a problem for people with acid reflux, for example. But for people who don't suffer from that or similar issues, it's fine.