Shakes/Foods to replace weight gainers?

Options
Please suggest recipe of shakes/foods to replace the weight gainer/mass gainer powders. The contents shall include protein powder but want to get that much calories those weight gainers provide..

Replies

• diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Milk 4% Whole
    Eggs
    Oats
    Cottage Cheese
    Almonds etc

See full breakdown and detailed macros at
    https://authoritynutrition.com/20-delicious-high-protein-foods/

Also checkout Coconut Oil, Flaxseed,Ginger and Cinnamon on Google they compliment the trainees demanding regimes by propelling recovery and blood metrics. You want that hard effort to have max benefits - these accelerators are easy, healthy and tasty too!
  • yaaros
    yaaros Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you Mr. diverroboz,

I tried one oats preparation from this forum with some changes to match my taste..

1) White Oats - 35gm
    2) Milk - 200ml
    3) Protein Powder - 2 Scoops
    4) Cashew Nuts - 20 Nos
    5) Kismis (Dried Seedless Grape) - 30 Nos

Preparation:

Add oats to boiling milk and cook for 3/4 minutes adding a little water, if required, for medium consistency. Then add protein powder, Cashew, Kismis and mix well. Tastes good and easy to digest also..

Add one tablespoon American Garden Peanut butter for a different taste...

Any suggestions to further improve calorie value without much quantity change?

I see some oats shake recipes without cooking the oats, so just want to know whether raw oats not hard to digest compared to cooked one? Any harm or negative side in using raw oats?
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's a very good recipe indeed, and you pose an interesting question about the bioavailability of the Oats themselves.
    I favour Raw oats because
    1. of Convenience ,and
    2. I believe in eating Raw foods over cooked in principal, merely because of potential for loss of fragile vitamin and mineral content!
    3. Humans Cook way too much food, and vitamins, and proteins can be lost or changed thru heat! Every other animal does perfectly well without cooking everything!
    Raw is how I eat my oats... I choose the INSTANT OATS which seem to be chopped up into small pieces, so they are easy to digest! I don't see any difference either way. Also the raw oats, probably would be BETTER if they took longer to digest! This would effectively mean a I o n g e r, delayed delivery of nutrients! The protein powder and grapes (fructose) delivering their payload of energy fastest, followed by the oats then lastly the nuts! This would be a desirable outcome as any excess energy supply to requirements is theoretically more likely to be stored as FAT!
    Note that this wouldn't be certain, as many factors would impinge on this,like the intensity of the workout, blood sugar levels prior to workout and individual insulin sensitivity etc! It's complexity way beyond my pay scale! Lol!

As to your question about ADDING more protein, studies suggest that MORE THAN 60 grams in one meal is unable to be absorbed! Thus I would favour stopping there, as that figure is going close to being exceeded. It might be better to wait and have another meal in a few hours. Up to you!
    diverroboz wrote: »
    That's a very good recipe indeed, and you pose an interesting question about the bioavailability of the Oats themselves.
    I favour Raw oats because
    1. of Convenience ,and
    2. I believe in eating Raw foods over cooked in principal, merely because of potential for loss of fragile vitamin and mineral content!
    3. Humans Cook way too much food, and vitamins, and proteins can be lost or changed thru heat! Every other animal does perfectly well without cooking everything!
    Raw is how I eat my oats... I choose the INSTANT OATS which seem to be chopped up into small pieces, so they are easy to digest! I don't see any difference either way. Also the raw oats, probably would be BETTER if they took longer to digest! This would effectively mean a I o n g e r, delayed delivery of nutrients! The protein powder and grapes (fructose) delivering their payload of energy fastest, followed by the oats then lastly the nuts! This would be a desirable outcome as any excess energy supply to requirements is theoretically more likely to be stored as FAT!
    Note that this wouldn't be certain, as many factors would impinge on this,like the intensity of the workout, blood sugar levels prior to workout and individual insulin sensitivity etc! It's complexity way beyond my pay scale! Lol!

As to your question about ADDING more protein, studies suggest that MORE THAN 60 grams in one meal is unable to be absorbed! Thus I would favour stopping there, as that figure is going close to being exceeded. It might be better to wait and have another meal in a few hours.