Frustrated!

Options
This whole last week I really tried to buckle down and start working out which I did 3 times this week. I also started paying more attention to what and how much I was eating. Sunday I weight 156 Wednesday was 154 and now today Sunday a whole week later I'm up to 158!!! What gives!!?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates naturally.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yes, salt plays a big part, so do your hormones and the time of day.

I'm going through the same thing right now...I'm trying to remember to be patient until my hormones level out for the month but it's demoralizing to work so hard and see the numbers on the scale stay the same or even go up!

Try making sure you weigh yourself at the same time every day (it'll be lowest first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom but before you eat or drink).

Good luck!
  • dabry05
    dabry05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Initial weight gain when being active is common, so is water retention. I've put on 5 pounds since restarting strength training, but my waist and a lot of other places have gotten smaller. Bodies are odd, you'll eventually flush out that water weight sooner than later though.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    mady1414 wrote: »
    This whole last week I really tried to buckle down and start working out which I did 3 times this week. I also started paying more attention to what and how much I was eating. Sunday I weight 156 Wednesday was 154 and now today Sunday a whole week later I'm up to 158!!! What gives!!?

The bolded part is key. What do you mean by "paying more attention" to how much you're eating? Weight loss boils down to Calories In < Calories Out. If you're not as precise as possible about how much you're eating, weigh loss is going to be difficult.

Weigh all your food on a food scale. Measure liquids with measuring cups. Log everything faithfully.

Also, yes, weight does fluctuate. And in case you've never seen this posted, it's really helpful:

gxyqacnk3cc2.jpg
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Although many arguments exist against this, I'm a firm believer in "if you're not assessing, you're guessing." That is, try not just casually paying attention to what you're eating, but log it for a period of time. Weigh yourself daily for a period of time. I've been doing this and it helps me a lot with the emotional response I might have had a year ago over fluctuations in weight. For example, if you had a lower-calorie diet, but it had more carbs than you're used to--knowing that each gram of carbs can hold 3 grams of water, you will realize that the "gain" is simply your body holding on to water. Similarly, salt (as mentioned above). You will also see trends over time. Weight loss is not linear, you will have fluctuations upward, but if the overall trend is down, you will see this, too, and not get discouraged. I know that after my weekly free meal, the scale is going to go up--I still don't like it, but I know that over the next couple of days of working my plan, the scale will return to where I'm comfortable. Finally, several studies have definitively shown that we underestimate how much we eat and overestimate how much we exercise. So again, assessment is a terrific way of keeping this in check. It doesn't have to be forever, but if you're finding yourself stuck, I would encourage you to try it!
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Obviously not everyone believes that it's important to weigh/measure your food. But I guarantee you that if you stuff your face with whatever quantity of food you want every single day, you're not going to work it off with a zumba class.
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I believe! I believe. Just a little zumba humor that's all.

LOL, OK. You just never know around here. The woo is knee deep sometimes...
  • mady1414
    mady1414 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!