Cooking chicken breasts in bulk

Options
2»

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I marinate and then either cook on the grill or bake in the oven. Then I use the meat in rice or noodle bowls, chicken enchiladas, soup, sammies. I have found that I prefer to use a couple different marinades so that I don't get so tired of eating chicken breast all the time. That works especially well on the grill where they don't rest in the cooking juices.
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like to slow cook and shred. I'll do it sometimes in the crock put but usually in a covered pot on the stove. I'll do some in a little chicken broth or water and poultry seasoning and pepper to have a basic one but other times I'll do it in salsa. Sometimes bbq seasoning and a little watered down bbq sauce that sort of thing to give the chicken different flavors. Then I use it in salads, sandwiches, pasta, rice, tacos etc...during the week.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Cook slow, get a thermometer so it doesn't overcook it. Spices, either during or after, and sauces. I do a lot of chicken thighs and change use different sauces and seasoning to keep it vaguely different.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got a bunch of chicken breasts on sale and smoked them, simple and delicious. Here's what you do:
    1. Trim chicken breasts, add trimmings to your "make stock later" bag. You do have one of those right?
    2. Put chicken breasts on a metal rack in a shallow pan, season with salt, granulated garlic, and fresh ground black pepper.
    3. Put pan in fridge for at LEAST ONE HOUR, up to overnight.
    4. Smoke at 300F with your wood of choice until internal temperature is 145F, no you don't need to cook to 165F, the carryover cooking will further increase the temperature past 150, but even if it didn't, 145f is high enough to make your chicken safe to eat in less than 10 minutes. This is why we will...
    5. Put on plate, cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
    6. Enjoy your delicious smoked chicken breast, when you microwave this at work, all your coworkers will be jealous of the amazing smells.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I see someone else suggested poaching in herbs and saving the poaching liquid. Fantastic advice!!!! If you can spare a few calories, adding a little Vermouth or white wine to the poaching liquid is delicious.

I also recommend this 1+1+10+10 method: flatten all chicken breasts to the same thickness. On medium, cook on one side for 1 minute. Add seasoning. Cook on other side for 1 minute. Add seasoning to that side. Then turn down to low and cover for 10 minutes. Do not peek. Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Do not peek. Confirm chicken is cooked through by cutting or with an instant-read thermometer. This makes the most tender, juiciest chicken with next to no oil. I use a well-seasoned cast iron pan and prime it with a quick spray of Pam and that's it.

As for seasonings, there is no better source than Penzey's. My family's favorites for chicken are:
    https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ruth-ann's-muskego-ave-chickenfish-seasoning/c-24/p-528/pd-s
    https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/bangkok-blend/c-24/p-13/pd-s
    https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/southwest-seasoning/c-24/p-369/pd-s
  • dottie714
    dottie714 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make chicken kebabs - chop up into chunks and put together a tikka marinade using 0% fat yougurt and a tablespoon of tikka paste... Marinade overnight or a couple of hours, skewer with veg and grill ... Yummy and low Cals
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have been buying chicken breasts in bulk, cooking them, then adding the chicken breast meat to meals throughout the week - throw some on a salad, with some pasta, make chicken salad, etc, etc. I usually bake or pan fried in an electric skillet. It's ok, nothing to write home about taste wise. Basically, it does the trick. But I'm getting tired of the same, semi-bland flavor.

I'm looking for some tips for more flavorful chick breasts.

Oh, and I don't do the slow cooker thing.

I generally like to cook mine on the George Forman grill. I season them, and grill 2 at a time. They are deelish. Last night I tried a recipe for shredded breast - in the crockpot. I used 4 chicken breasts, but was really disappointed with the flavor of the meat. I had some with salsa and cheese today, but the meat just was much less tasty that I am used to. I guess I will stick with George!