Personal trainer?

Options
dimasj
dimasj Posts: 164 Member
Opions please...
I've been at the gym for a year doing spin classes, body pump classes and fire conditioning classes bur I don't really know what to do in the actual gym. Is a personal trainer worth it?

Replies

• dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    Opions please...
    I've been at the gym for a year doing spin classes, body pump classes and core conditioning classes but I don't really know what to do in the actual gym. Is a personal trainer worth it?
  • teenskimfp
    teenskimfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've recently got a PT and I find it's definitely worth it. He really notices anything that needs working on. Noticed after 1st session that I'm weaker on one side so sets me "homework" to strengthen it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    There should be a trainer at the gym who can show you how to use all equipment and not charge extra. If you want to pay someone to make up a workout plan for you, and push you through it, that's different.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer for six months I had never been in a gym before, he has taught me so much, and given me so much confidence in the gym. Definitely worth it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There should be a trainer at the gym who can show you how to use all equipment and not charge extra. If you want to pay someone to make up a workout plan for you, and push you through it, that's different.

That's kinda not the job of the personal trainer at the gym
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love my trainer.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

guess that depends on the gym then.
    PT s at nuffield gyms are salaried,and provide help on shift as part of their duties.
    also get a quarterly hour developement plan too.
    they also provide personal sessions off shift.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

That is exactly their job. It's completely irresponsible for gyms not to provide an in-house/salaried staff member to assist in giving introductions and pointers for newbies.

Granted its not every personal trainers job but I have never used a gym that does not have a house PT that ensures users are going about their business sensibly.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's been worth it for me. I even knew my way around a gym and have learned some new things and seen progress I had not seen on my own. If you can afford even a few sessions, I think it helps you get going in the gym with some confidence. I know it is possible to learn it from books and videos but the personal touch helps.
  • all847
    all847 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think a personal trainer is totally worth it. I have learned a lot from mine and am comfortable in the gym lifting weights on my own and knowing that I am doing the workouts correctly.
  • nubia32
    nubia32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was "anti-personal trainer" until I actually hot one a few months ago. He has helped so much! I've learned to like doing weight training which is something I didn't like at all. He also pushes me and that is something I wouldn't ordinarily do in the gym.