Help please

Options
Hello everyone.

My name is Cody and I am very new to working out, lifting, and eating more. I am 26 years old, 121 lbs, with a fat percentage of 4.5%. Essentially I am skin and bones and nothing else.

I don't know what to do in terms of eating because it seems like no matter what I eat (from the most healthy stuff to ice cream and pizza all day) I never gain any weight. I just bought a set of bowflex adjustable dumbbells and stared using this app to track meals but I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing.

Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the muscle for life web site and the associated book Bigger, leaner, stronger.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cody and great question, don't think you are alone, take some solace in the fact that many MFP posts in this category are facing the SSME CHALLANGE as you are! Have a read through and note how the MFP App does the math and science for you!
    You'll appreciate in Success Stoies that results happen to those that committed to a consistent and rather disciplined approach to diet and excercise. It's a marathon,not a spiny - probably the last thing you want to hear right now! It's important to understand it's a fact that muscle is built slowly and to accept the genetic hand mother nature has fitted you. Godd news is that you are in a position to make the greatest and most significant gains NOW as a newbie! You can rightly expect to gain incredible strength gains in months. This may or may not be accompanied by big guns, arms that is! That's the genetic part! Irrespective, your patience and dedication WILL reap huge demonstrable dividends that may shock you and those best and dear in your life! Bank on finding your weight PBs for the basic time tested staples in iron - Bench Press, Squat, deadlier and Pullup smashed over most weeks from now!
    You have some Dumbbells, OK great get working on those and get someone with experience to show you how to use them! Its important to ask for guidance here because it a remarkably technically demanding skillset that needs careful development to avoid injury and maximum effectiveness too!
    For now your own bodyweight and those dumbbells are sufficient to start learning to Squat, Deadlif. You can Bench Press with Dumbbells while laying on your back in bed too! Do these every day, slowly on the way DOWNWARDS - count 1 second to completely push UP, then lower the weight slowly for 4 counts!!! This 4 count phase is call the ECCENTRIC. Google that, it's the part that is most crucial, surprisingly!!!
    Best wishes and get strong the smart way - Arnold and all the masters of iron started out just like you... oh take pictures and log them and your body measurement data into MFP now. You should wear a T shirt that says buff 6 pack coming soon.!!! You might have a wasboard stomach now... but whatever, it's NOT the destination,it's the journey!!!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? Some people find it just as hard to gain weight as others struggle to lose it. Track your intake and slowly adjust it upward until you start to regularly gain.

The bowflex is fine and it will help you get started, but start reading some books on lifting and look to slowly move your workouts into a gym. Start with reading one or more of Starting Strength, Stronglifts or 5/3/1. Some gyms can be expensive so not everyone can afford them, but there are some big box gyms such as Planet Fitness that can get you started. PF takes a lot of heat on here for their silly rules and advertisements, but for $10 a month, it's probably the best deal out there. Gold's Gym also runs specials so you can find some deals with them. Look around at other local gyms and see what you can find. Weights will take you much farther than a boxflex can but like I said, the bowflex is fine for now. Just have your eyes on next steps.

Also, get on bodybuilding.com and look at the programs on there. There are many free programs and exercise videos.
  • diverroboz
    Options
    Great advice and agree totally - practically every worthwhile program and principal are covered for free on bodybuilding.com - threat site! Also give it some time before wasting money on supplements, you do NOT need them for now! You DO need to learn to lift properly and that is more important for now, tempting ads and claims are not relevant right now. Good food selection and habits underpin you training, so get that nailed now.
    Eggs and milk
    Meat and veggies
    Nuts and fruit
    Get them into you big time! This is he tried and tested basis for healthy life, regardless of your goals - no rocket science needed!
  • diverroboz
    Options
    This website is the real deal and you can benefit from looking closely at and subscribe

authoritynutrition.com/20-delicious-high-protein-foods/

Protein for YOU needs to be 125 grams daily, that's 1g per pound of B W. Carbs are the next priority but be guided by MFP and get a meal before bedtime in, OK? MFP is going to help you choose the type of meal for meeting targets. Just eat real, unprocessed home made style food and avoid cigarettes and alcohol to get results quickly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mcmurrde wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

My name is Cody and I am very new to working out, lifting, and eating more. I am 26 years old, 121 lbs, with a fat percentage of 4.5%. Essentially I am skin and bones and nothing else.

I don't know what to do in terms of eating because it seems like no matter what I eat (from the most healthy stuff to ice cream and pizza all day) I never gain any weight. I just bought a set of bowflex adjustable dumbbells and stared using this app to track meals but I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing.

For the eating part.. Set your goal on MFP to gain weight, start logging your food, and eat the calories it tells you to. You don't HAVE to worry about specific foods to eat or not eat. The key for gaining weight is to get the calories in and lift the weights :)

For health, you'll want to eat a balanced diet, make sure you are getting enough protein and fat, and you've already gotten advice on that. But don't feel like you can only eat "healthy foods". Especially if you feel like you aren't hungry enough to eat all your calories - there is nothing wrong with having some ice cream, peanut butter, etc to hit your goal for the day. With such a low BF% there is nothing wrong with you putting on a little fat as well :)
  • skip0390
    skip0390 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Omg im also 26 and in the same boat! It's like I just can't do enough to see any physical changes.
  • diverroboz
    Options
    skip0390 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Omg im also 26 and in the same boat! It's like I just can't do enough to see any physical changes.

I really feel for you guys... look, eat lots and the above advice is true too, eat MORE of in doubt! Try Coconut Oil and with milk and Oats - throw in scoop of Whey Powder that's over 1,100 calories. Drink or eat before bedtime. If you wake in the night eat. If you can EAT! You have the power to change nust commit 100% and keep logging everything into MFP.
    Take pictures also and you will get motivated... did I mention to EAT LOL!
    If have questions or queries ask! After a meal!!!