Don't want to gain fat

Options
So I'm in recovery from anorexia but I'm super terrified of gaining fat. Is it possible to just gain muscle? I was over weight before anorexia started and I'm so scared to go back there but I know I have to gain weight to be healthy. Should I just cut out carbs?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fat gain is a given when you're gaining weight, no matter how much you work on gaining muscle. Speak with your recovery team about your fears.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carbs are essential in your diet. Your body ultimately breaks down all Macros into carbohydrates as they are the currency of energy in the body. Regulation and control mechanisms exist to control all this via Liver, blood circulation and the Endocrine System.
    Extreme low carbohydrate intake will precipitate acute listlessness, headaches and nausea - AKA HYPOGLYCEMIA. Carbs are also protein sparing - an absense of same will prompt the body to use plan B, which is Fat. Hooray you might say... hang on, its not as simple as that, there is a price paid here... not great news given you want best outcomes and a healthy recovery tout suite or ASAP. Be careful here with timkering with the relative proportions of macros, when your body needs some TLC right now.
    Advise a chat with your Health Professional as your situation deserves special care, consideration and diligence to avoid undesirable outcomes.
    Good question, perhaps you might be better to stick to MFP guidelines and monitor your progress by taking pictures, measurements and body mass index BMI metrics. These are objective and impartial and represent your primary source for truth and dependability.
    Congratulations on you having the courage and strength to forge a new healthy YOU! RESPECT!
  • Sammyyy01
    Sammyyy01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    diverroboz wrote: »
    Carbs are essential in your diet. Your body ultimately breaks down all Macros into carbohydrates as they are the currency of energy in the body. Regulation and control mechanisms exist to control all this via Liver, blood circulation and the Endocrine System.
    Extreme low carbohydrate intake will precipitate acute listlessness, headaches and nausea - AKA HYPOGLYCEMIA. Carbs are also protein sparing - an absense of same will prompt the body to use plan B, which is Fat. Hooray you might say... hang on, its not as simple as that, there is a price paid here... not great news given you want best outcomes and a healthy recovery tout suite or ASAP. Be careful here with timkering with the relative proportions of macros, when your body needs some TLC right now.
    Advise a chat with your Health Professional as your situation deserves special care, consideration and diligence to avoid undesirable outcomes.
    Good question, perhaps you might be better to stick to MFP guidelines and monitor your progress by taking pictures, measurements and body mass index BMI metrics. These are objective and impartial and represent your primary source for truth and dependability.
    Congratulations on you having the courage and strength to forge a new healthy YOU! RESPECT!

Thank you so much! This helps a lot :) From now on I'm just going to try to focus on eating enough. Thanks again xx
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Technically, carbs are non-essentially macronutrients, as the body can convert fatty acids to glucose through gluconeogenesis. Having said that, carbs are highly beneficial while adding weight, especially muscle, as they will spike insulin and stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

Having said that, the OP should be working with a recovery team as they are showing signs of still not being recovered. If you want to gain muscle, you will need to also weight training. Generally, 3 full body routines are ideal. This list has bunch of programs. A lot of females lean towards StrongCurves and NROL4W. Since women don't have as much testosterone as men, they will not gain as much muscle and for every lb gained, 25% will be muscle, 75% will be fat. Men are about 50/50. This is why, there are bulk/cut cycles. It's just how it works. But if you are following a good workout routine and working with a recovery team, then you could potentially execute a solid plan to ensure you stay fairly lean.
  • diverroboz
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Technically, carbs are non-essentially macronutrients, as the body can convert fatty acids to glucose through gluconeogenesis. Having said that, carbs are highly beneficial while adding weight, especially muscle, as they will spike insulin and stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

Having said that, the OP should be working with a recovery team as they are showing signs of still not being recovered. If you want to gain muscle, you will need to also weight training. Generally, 3 full body routines are ideal. This list has bunch of programs. A lot of females lean towards StrongCurves and NROL4W. Since women don't have as much testosterone as men, they will not gain as much muscle and for every lb gained, 25% will be muscle, 75% will be fat. Men are about 50/50. This is why, there are bulk/cut cycles. It's just how it works. But if you are following a good workout routine and working with a recovery team, then you could potentially execute a solid plan to ensure you stay fairly lean.

Well written and as usual you are spot on technically, cutting straight to the issue with masterful ease. I'm certain we would all love to see the originsl poster (OP) gain a most rapid recovery to normalcy and bryond! Better so if replaced with the magnificent obsession that is fitness training!!
  • Sammyyy01
    Options

I am currently not allowed to exercise but the urges are always so strong :( I want to get in to weight training but I also have a chronic illness which prevents me from doing much so I really don't know what to do anymore..
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am currently not allowed to exercise but the urges are always so strong :( I want to get in to weight training but I also have a chronic illness which prevents me from doing much so I really don't know what to do anymore..

And that is fine. You can incorporate exercise as it permits. Just follow the plans set by your doctors.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you still seeing a therapist?
  • Sammyyy01
    Options

Yes I am, but we don't really talk about how I'm doing mentally. They just focus on my weight.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Yes I am, but we don't really talk about how I'm doing mentally. They just focus on my weight.

If it's within your power, I'd highly recommend finding a new therapist. Overcoming anorexia is so much more than getting to a healthy weight. You need to get your mind in the right place so you can focus on getting your body healthy without fear, and so you don't fall back on restriction when stress and negative events happen.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    First of all, I commend you for battling the anorexia. It's such a tough thing to fight, and you will have to battle it on some level the rest of your life. But you've shown tremendous courage in getting help, so kudos to you for that!

If your therapist is only focused on your weight, then I'd find a new therapist. Anorexia is not a weight issue; it's a psychological issue. You need to learn skills for coping when you have a bad day and want to revert back to old habits; it will happen--we all have bad days, and mine usually involve a desire to eat an entire bag of Oreos in one sitting. I have had to learn things I can do to distract me from that desire so I don't sabotage myself. They should really be working on these kinds of things with you. They should also be mapping out, with the help of a registered dietitian and fitness coach, a plan for you that involves healthy eating and healthy amounts of exercise. And keep in mind, exercise doesn't have to be killing yourself in the gym. Just a nice walk outside for half an hour will have great benefits for your body without overdoing it.

I truly wish you the best. It says a lot that you're working on trying to eat healthy and gain some weight. Just remember that the battle with eating disorders, whether it's anorexia or bulimia, is a tough one, but you've got this. You've already taken HUGE steps toward health, so congratulations!
  • Sammyyy01
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    First of all, I commend you for battling the anorexia. It's such a tough thing to fight, and you will have to battle it on some level the rest of your life. But you've shown tremendous courage in getting help, so kudos to you for that!

If your therapist is only focused on your weight, then I'd find a new therapist. Anorexia is not a weight issue; it's a psychological issue. You need to learn skills for coping when you have a bad day and want to revert back to old habits; it will happen--we all have bad days, and mine usually involve a desire to eat an entire bag of Oreos in one sitting. I have had to learn things I can do to distract me from that desire so I don't sabotage myself. They should really be working on these kinds of things with you. They should also be mapping out, with the help of a registered dietitian and fitness coach, a plan for you that involves healthy eating and healthy amounts of exercise. And keep in mind, exercise doesn't have to be killing yourself in the gym. Just a nice walk outside for half an hour will have great benefits for your body without overdoing it.

I truly wish you the best. It says a lot that you're working on trying to eat healthy and gain some weight. Just remember that the battle with eating disorders, whether it's anorexia or bulimia, is a tough one, but you've got this. You've already taken HUGE steps toward health, so congratulations!

Thank you so much for your kind words. This definitely helped me more than words can describe. I will speak to my therapist as I think you're right when you say anorexia is a psychological issue. My mind is the thing that is controlling me most and I think I need help to escape it. Thanks again x
  • Sammyyy01
    Options

If it's within your power, I'd highly recommend finding a new therapist. Overcoming anorexia is so much more than getting to a healthy weight. You need to get your mind in the right place so you can focus on getting your body healthy without fear, and so you don't fall back on restriction when stress and negative events happen.

Very true. Thank you so much x
  • diverroboz
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Since you stated above you are disallowed from weights! Read this article and take the ideas on-board and monitor the results. There is no reason your Doctor would object to this!

https://authoritynutrition.com/15-ways-to-lower-blood-sugar/

EVERBODY wanting to gain lean weight should take particular note of these sensible recommendations!

We all here have your back, just say what's on your MIND - we are all here for you anytime you need.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Since you stated above you are disallowed from weights! Read this article and take the ideas on-board and monitor the results. There is no reason your Doctor would object to this!

EVERBODY wanting to gain lean weight should take particular note of these sensible recommendations!

We all here have your back, just say what's on your MIND - we are all here for you anytime you need.

That article is such a strong nope factor for anyone at all, never mind some one in ED recovery. It is focused on weight loss. The first point is about exercise, which is not currently an option. Second is cutting carbs, which has already been discussed. ACV and cinnamon for blood sugar control? They have been studied, but nothing that would be appropriate for someone in ttd OP's situation.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That article is such a strong nope factor for anyone at all, never mind some one in ED recovery. It is focused on weight loss. The first point is about exercise, which is not currently an option. Second is cutting carbs, which has already been discussed. ACV and cinnamon for blood sugar control? They have been studied, but nothing that would be appropriate for someone in ttd OP's situation.

Oh that site makes me so sad sometimes. This is definitely one of them. They create articles for hits.
  • Sammyyy01
    Options

Thank you for pointing this out. If you didn't, I would've probably read it and been severely triggered :neutral:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Thank you for pointing this out. If you didn't, I would've probably read it and been severely triggered :neutral:

You're welcome. People mean to be helpful, but it doesn't always work that way.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Oh that site makes me so sad sometimes. This is definitely one of them. They create articles for hits.

Authority Nutrition is definitely one of the woo/junk science sites which should largely be ignored. Most of their advice is about as credible as Dr. Oz.