Power lifter/Body builder looking to gain weight

Options
I'm a new power/weight lifter looking to gain about 15-20lbs. I'm not concerned about fat gain as I'm primarily looking to gain strength. I'm currently around 180lbs. Anyone have any advice regarding foods or meal plans that helped pack on weight?

Replies

• diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great question! It's all here in the various threads and in Success Story section... Welcome aboard. When you have a particular question or problem help and motivation is here!

Nutrition is easy just follow MFP guidelines and log everything and you'll be on your way!

Meantime stick to the basics and build skills in the Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press and Pull Up. Within months you can, with a solid commitment you'll get those 20lbs it's only 10% change on your weight now.

Advise Daily Superset Push up, Pull Up and Sit Up by 3 sets. On gym days this is your warm up. OKAY?
  • bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check my diary... Or GOMAD!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Eat the food.

Eat more calories then you burn and you will gain weight.

Carbs are pretty important when bulking to give you the energy to continue lifting the volume and reps...so doughnuts, ice cream bagels are favorites for many.
  • pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    PL's I know of eat anything, they just seem to eat in surplus and track IIFYM
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Step1: Go on google, type "TDEE Calculator". TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. Based on your age, weight, height, activity level, etc., it will determine how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight.

Step2: In order to gain +1lb a week, you need to eat 500 calories OVER your TDEE. That means you need to be weighing your food on a scale and tracking everything that you put in your mouth. It takes 3500 calories for 1lb of weight gain, so that makes TDEE+500calories daily = +1lb per week.

Do this while lifting on a program to make size and strength gains. I suggest high protein and high carb meals for before and after workouts, otherwise high protein high fat meals. What are your lifts like?

Beginner - Starting Strength / Strong lifts for weight increase 3x per week.
    Intermediate - do Texas Method for weekly increases
    Advanced - do 5/3/1, or GZCL, or Sheiko (or other programs which offer a monthly increase)

And don't neglect cardio - just because you are on a bulk doesn't mean to forgo it entirely! Conditioning helps recover faster between your lifts and you want to program it as such. I like:
    HIIT- 5 minute warm up, then 20s on: 140s off x 7 rounds, 10 minute cool down
    When you are lifting, you lift at maximum intensity, then rest between sets. You want your cardio to train that, hence high intensity then low intensity (and repeat). I like rowing or sled sprints as it is low impact and won't negatively affect your squats/deadlifts.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow just 2 steps to buffdom... and I like the plan to incorporate both Aerobics and HIIT Workouts to lift Conditioning and Testosterone. Genius... plan and covers all the bases and simple too!

Guessing Hansterman V1 was the test bed and V2 is the result...?
    Does HIIT INCREASE TDEE and therefore need more calories, or does the shorter workout durations offset to nul? Can you feed the world in just a a few more steps maybe? Great job!