So I tried low fat cottage cheese...

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Yuck. No wonder people hate the stuff.

4% fat all the way! Completely worth the extra 30% calories. And it's still only 120 calories a serving.

Replies

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You know, I have only ever eaten low fat cottage cheese so I don't even have a comparison in my mind. To me, it tastes just fine. Maybe I should venture out of my comfort zone.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I mean maybe it's the brand (store brand) but I tried their full fat and it was fine...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i only eat 4% its worth the extra calories to me. If i would have tried low fat instead of the 4% i dont think i would like cottage cheese.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yuck. No wonder people hate the stuff.

4% fat all the way! Completely worth the extra 30% calories. And it's still only 120 calories a serving.
    I agree with you! It's like eating gravel in milk. No thank you!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, low fat means you save 18 calories a serving. Definitely not worth sacrificing taste
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Exactly! The low fat stuff tastes awful. And for only 20-30 cal more a serving, plus the extra fat, it's a no brainer
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm just very annoyed because I can't find my favorite brand (Friendship) in 4% anywhere anymore. That low fat obsession needs to stop.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love 2% cottage cheese. But im that way with yoghurt low fat yogurt is pretty blegh and too sweet i love whole milk yogurt its creamy and tangy. And it can be less calories just higher fat. My whole milk yogurt has 10 less calories and almost half the carbs as the low fat.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese tastes like plastic
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I hate all cottage cheese equally. I prefer ricotta.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Love 2% cottage cheese with pineapple chunks or peach slices in own juice. Yum, When you only get 1200 calls/day. They all add up quickly.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I had full fat cottage cheese- at a salad bar. I was blown away by how good it was. I'd only ever bought fat free before. If you don't know what the good stuff tastes like, then you don't know what you're missing!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The highest fat cottage cheese I've seen is 2%.

Don't try low sodium cottage cheese. Just don't. You're better off eating chalk.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I must be the only one who prefers the taste of low fat cottage. The low fat one is light and fluffy and the full fat one is stodgy and way too salty. Obvious full fat cottage cheese has better macros.
    It might also depend on the brand, I've only tried the one brand low fat cc, but tried pretty much all of the full cream ones.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    oh and the one i like is 97% fat free.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    We get 1% and it's fine.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i opted not to eat "low fat" anything, accept my milk is 1 %. the lower the fat, the higher the sugar content. i did try low fat cottage cheese, but um, no.never again lol
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I like Kemp's 1% cottage cheese - I tried their 2% and didn't much like it. Might be because I grew up drinking 1% milk?

For the most part, I like reduced fat dairy. I generally go with regular for sliced cheese and reduced fat for shredded since I'll use the shredded when I'm cooking and the few extra calories will add up in a recipe.

~Lyssa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    oh and the one i like is 97% fat free.

Probably the same one I like. :)

I get Bulla's Onion and Chives cottage cheese ... 97% fat free. Then I add a bit of salt (because I need a bit extra salt in my diet) and I eat it with cucumber slices, other raw veg, and/or pickles. :) It's delicious!!

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Fat free cottage cheese tastes like plastic

Yes! I can't believe how nasty it is.