Peanut butter oat bars

Options
mathandcats
mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
edited May 2016 in Recipes
I made this recipe last night, slightly adapted. It's super easy and delicious! I think they taste a LOT like Nature Valley crunchy peanut butter bars, except not crunchy (obviously, since they are not baked), and not as sweet (deliberate on my part). Yum! This recipe is also super cheap to make: it cost me less than $1.50 to make 7 bars.

Recipe:
  • 1.5 cups (135g) dry rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Trader Joe's crunchy no stir, the one with both salt and sugar in it)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup (or another sweetener of choice, this is what I had. You can use more if you want a sweet bar.)

Melt the peanut butter, corn syrup, and salt in the microwave (approx. 30 seconds should do it). Stir together to combine. Pour over oats and stir to thoroughly combine. You may have to use your hands. Transfer the mixture into a 5 x 7" loaf tin lined with parchment paper. Press the mixture down firmly using a rubber spatula, or by placing another piece of parchment paper over the top and pressing down firmly. You might use something like a mug or measuring cup instead of your hands too. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour before slicing into bars. Store them in the fridge.

I cut this into 7 and they come out to ~210 calories, 10g fat, 7g protein, 25g carbs (11g sugar).

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe that includes 1/2 cup ground flax. Yumx
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe, I just bought rolled oats, almond butter and brown rice syrup I will try and make these, sounds delicious.
  • Madwhizzard
    Madwhizzard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love that recipe...and so do my dogs! Rolled oats + peanut butter, yum!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It can't be the same as the Nature Valley bars, because judging by how much I love them I'm fairly certain the primary ingredient in those is black tar heroin. :smiley:

I will give this a shot - my favorites are the soft baked bars, but soft no-bake sounds even easier!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I made these again, this time using Vitafiber syrup (a high fiber sugar free syrup - often used in making homemade protein bars. Vitafiber is one brand, but there are cheaper options) in place of corn syrup. They taste pretty much the same, maybe slightly less sweet, but I don't mind. They're nowhere near as cheap to make this way, but the macros are now about 190 cal per bar (made 7 again), with 10g fat, 7g protein, 22g carbs, of which 9g is fiber (vs 3g from before) and 1g is sugar. Increased fiber makes them more filling, at least to me.