Only running works!!!!

Options

Replies

• Graphene1961
    Graphene1961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. Try eating healthy low glycemic index carbohydrates like delicious blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries. Mix them up in a spinach salad or eat them as a snack. If salad avoid oil based dressings. You can sprinkle a few good nuts like raw almonds for a treat. Stay away from high glycemic index carbohydrates. Eat good proteins eggs (whites only), white fish (baked or broiled) with a little bit olive oil (cod, halibut ) stay away from trashy Talpia. Roast an organic turkey breast roast another lean good source of protein. stay away from red meats and "the other white meat" as the National Pork Board calls it.
    2. Exercise with consistency everyday for one hour.
    3. Limit alcohol - but don't eliminate if you have a problem with going without, only in moderation and as a reward when you have a good week or a particularly good work out ( like a 60 mile bike ride = one or at most two drinks).

Stick with this for 5 to six weeks and you will see the results (i.e. your weight and fitness level improve decisively). I have done this before and lost 30 lbs in six weeks. But you must stick with the exercise and diet.

Stay away from processed foods and high glycemic foods/ additives especially colored sugar/corn syrup beverages and the diet POPS. Try refreshing Seltzer water (soda water) and avoid at all these "Sports" drinks like Gatorade and there ilk they will really mess up your diet and your over all health. Drink water with fruits (types presented above) this will give you energy with a slow even burn not a insulin spiking response and crash that G-ades give you.

I am starting this diet again as of today, May Day. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

If you are interested to know how the diet progresses for me during this month of may let me know.

So you have done this diet before but here you are again doing it.

Yes, I am back on it again, The Wisconsin winter took its toll and I am a little heavier than I would like to be to ride my bike up hills. This diet works along with exercise. A nutritionist friend of mine designed a study around this diet and was part of his masters thesis.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Running is a great calorie burn, so if you aren't carefully tracking calories you may see a difference. I also find that it helps me cut even while carefully tracking because it burns enough calories that I don't get ragey from hunger. Your results may vary. It's great that you've found an approach that works for you.
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know I have more success with running only because I enjoy running more than any fitness class I have been too.

Zumba, Jazzerize, Kickboxing, etc... I feel uncomfortable in a class setting so I'm not doing the exercises correctly or working at the same effort (way to self conscious).
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Eat the amount of calories that fit your lifestyle. The end.

Run if you want. Running is fun but totally unnecessary.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had similar feelings in the past. I would always see a quick reduction in my size once I started jogging (can't run) again. I would jog 60- 90 minutes at my local park daily and the inches would just melt away. I wonder how many calories I was burning at my slow pace.
  • sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I log most of my days and stick to my calorie deficit. I also wear my Fitbit so I know that I do put the same amount of effort and time into other exercises. I make sure that my heart rate is over 145 for my age height and weight ratio. I can lose weight with other exercises but it is much muucchhhh slower. Inches also come off slower but running seems to work. I eat pretty healthy. I could cut out more carbs but I eat the same on all exercise plans. I'm glad there is at least one other person out their like me
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    sammyre12 wrote: »
    I log most of my days and stick to my calorie deficit. I also wear my Fitbit so I know that I do put the same amount of effort and time into other exercises. I make sure that my heart rate is over 145 for my age height and weight ratio. I can lose weight with other exercises but it is much muucchhhh slower. Inches also come off slower but running seems to work. I eat pretty healthy. I could cut out more carbs but I eat the same on all exercise plans. I'm glad there is at least one other person out their like me

There's your problem. The other exercises don't burn as many calories hence why you don't lose weight as fast with them....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think it's so funny how people love to jump on threads like this and say you can't outrun/outexercise a bad diet (which I happen to agree with). Then on other threads when people talk about cheats, treats, and restriction, people say eat what you want to and exercise more to burn it off. HUH?
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 105lbs running, it suppressed my appetite and I had lots of calories to eat never felt hungry. Knee injury has me biking and yes I can burn 2000 calories easily with biking, but it leaves me starving and I know all to well how to binge eat! Have gained 60lbs back! Even doing 6325 road miles! Calories verses deficit does count, but running is magic for weight loss!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    sounds like running is the only solution until you get hurt. then its cico all the way
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I think it's so funny how people love to jump on threads like this and say you can't outrun/outexercise a bad diet (which I happen to agree with). Then on other threads when people talk about cheats, treats, and restriction, people say eat what you want to and exercise more to burn it off. HUH?

We're all here for the same reason.

You have to find what works for your unique individual body.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I personally lost weight better when I stopped running. Better control of diet.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Running has a different calorie expenditure then the other exercise routines you mentioned.

Also, when you switch programs it is completely normal to hold onto water weight for a few weeks for muscle repair.

Another thing to consider, is your appetite when you switch routines. I know that lifting always leaves me feeling like I'm starving so I usually have a protein bar handy for when I leave the gym, but with running I don't feel the same intense hunger and can usually go a couple hours without feeling the need to reach for a snack.

Running does have a different calorie expenditure. OP, I had the same experience. I didn't start losing weight until I started running (slowly and for short periods of time, now much faster and longer). I added in some strength training as well, which seemed to stall the weight loss, but I can see a definite downward trend again.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    2015Jason wrote: »
    +1. I hate running. A lot of people hate it, but do it anyway. If you like it, consider yourself lucky and go for it!

I hate it, but like the OP, it's the only thing that works for me. I'm beginning to like it (at least at the end when I feel like I've accomplished a goal.)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    2015Jason wrote: »
    +1. I hate running. A lot of people hate it, but do it anyway. If you like it, consider yourself lucky and go for it!

I hate it, but like the OP, it's the only thing that works for me. I'm beginning to like it (at least at the end when I feel like I've accomplished a goal.)

Yeah I hate running while I am doing it, but dayum I sure feel better on a day that I did run. And it's low tech, doesn't need a class or equipment, just shoes and go.

I wish it would give me the "high", I could feel that in jazzercise/aerobics/bellydance/ballet but dancing is trancendent, running is too monotonous, the movements do not require enough attention to get my mind to let go. If yoga moved at 4x pace it would probably do the same thing...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Zumba just involves waving your hands around for the large part. Hardly a calorie vacuum....
  • pope9
    pope9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing intense cardio and strength training classes 4-5 days per week.. I've only been going strong for 3 weeks and I'm currently in Week 4. I typically eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday.. But last week I started some additional jogging just 1-2 miles and I feel better. I've decided to jog 2 miles during my lunch break and do my classes in the evening.. I'll let you know how much I drop.. My goal is to be 150 by May 31 and I have 10 pounds to lose
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    sounds like running is the only solution until you get hurt. then its cico all the way

Lots of people run all their lives, injuries happen with any sport. But I don't get runners high on my bike and believe me it's better than sex and lasts longer!
  • andrwclem
    andrwclem Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    High intensity workouts done 4 times a week (not on consecutive days)for half an hour really burn off the fat
    this is purely anecdotal
    Two years ago when spring came I ventured back out on my bike downloaded Strava a cycling app and used a speedometer to gauge average speed cadence etc
    I planned a ten mile circuit ie home and back and tried to cycle at an average of 20 mph
    also with the aid of Strava would try to put maximum effort over a predetermined segment of
    the course , at first I had to spin my legs as much as possible because I wasn't fit enough.
    After four months I lost two stone but more importantly I was shredded of surplus body fat ie
    love handles ,belly etc I became leaner and fitter
    I thought I would post this as it might work for someone else as it worked for me
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Zumba just involves waving your hands around for the large part. Hardly a calorie vacuum....

have you ever actually taken a zumba class???