How do you deal with a significant other that...

Options
mistyh10
mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
Eats like a 4 year old?? Actually, I think my 4 year old eats better than him! I eat pretty healthy, but he is the total opposite and is such a child when I try to make delicious healthy meals. He loves my cooking but any vegetable that isn't broccoli is greeted with a yuck face and he will even pick veggies out. It's so annoying!! JUST EAT IT haha

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just feed him broccoli if that's all he'll eat. (Why bother wasting cash on the other veggies, imho) I would be more concerned his reaction is not setting a good example for your child.

(eta: I hide multitude veggies by pulverizing them in my Vitamix & adding to soups & red sauces like spaghetti.)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I never understand these types of questions.

There are thousands of meals that don't involved everything being mixed up together. Either make those foods (i.e., no casseroles) or get used to him picking the veggies out. You're going to share many things over the course of a relationship. The exact same food preferences do not have to be one of those things. I'd ask him to please not make a face or act like the veggies are gross, simply to prevent your kid from trying to emulate him, but other than that who cares that he only likes broccoli. There are worse things in life. He could only like the vocal stylings of Justin Bieber or the dulcet tones of Zamfir's pan flute or insist on one ply toilet paper or on wearing patchouli scented cologne.

This. And think about why you feel the need to make a grown man change his eating habits if he doesn't want to. You eat better than him, great for you. Don't make it a bone of contention. I have been married to the same great guy for 24 years. I fix veggies I don't like and he eats them. I fix veggies I like, and he doesn't eat them. Our kids take a mix of the available veggies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So leave him to pick out the veg.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I eat separate from my family. They will have their carb heavy meals and I'll grill some veggies and chicken. For the most part it goes ok.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The "yuck face" (or any negative comments) I would talk to him about, because that's just rude. But if he doesn't want to eat certain veggies, or picks them out of mixed meals.... So what? Let him do him, and you do you.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think saying "who cares?" really ignores the reality of humans - we all care about different things. For some people, it's very important to them that their SO is on the same sleep schedule as them. For others, it's very important to them that their SO have their own form of transportation to things they like to do. For others, it's very important to them that their SO be an optimist. Some people can deal with all of these things not being true but care about entirely different things!

I always thought of my ex as pretty picky even though he didn't think the same way, so I would cook my own meals a few times a week and let him fend for himself which usually involved leftovers or some kind of frozen dinner/pizza. It let me get the things I like (white fish, eggs, mushrooms, clams, etc etc etc) so I didn't murder him in his sleep for his inability to just eat what was put in front of him.

Sorry picky people! I just don't get you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Sometimes I just want to tell picky people to grow up though, lol!

I mean I don't love veggies, but I'll still eat them because they are healthy and a great source of vitamins. I avoid things with mushrooms but if there are only a couple in a dish, I'll still eat them.

There are only a couple things I won't eat at all because I truly hate them (olives, artichokes, raw celery) and I won't touch a dish with either of those but it's because they have a strong flavor and you'll still have a leftover taste if you pick them out (if that's even possible). But broccoli in a dish? Most of the time, you can't even taste it...

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    'Eat it or make your own dinner'. Lol.

This. I make my own meals a majority of the time. I don't expect the rest of the family to adapt to my diet.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »

Sometimes I just want to tell picky people to grow up though, lol!

Right?! Like I know these people can't help it, and they probably go through more pain over it than I will trying to accommodate it, and they probably wish that they liked more foods to make their lives easier....but I still just can't deal!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i forced my husband to broaden his horizon. Luckily i was/am a chef for over 10 years. You can make most anything taste good if its cooked right. Boiled brussels? i want to die. Roasted brussels with garlic and bacon give me! my husband ate like a stoner teenager when we first started dated now he eats like an adult. It was slow and steady. I kind of put garlic and butter on everything.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ignore him.
    Simple.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ignore him.
    Simple.

This.

Or if you get tired of him wasting food, just let him make his own. My wife and I eat two totally seperate diets. We make our meals separately so there is no waste.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My husband has similar eating habits. I just made different meals for us.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Post it on social media.....
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had a similar problem (or thought I did). I cooked whatever healthy food I wanted, wouldn't tell him what it was, and he ate it without question. Then later on I'd say "did you know that meal was vegan?" or "could you taste the (insert supposedly hated veggie here)?" He was always shocked and now he'll eat things he swore he always hated!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My BF eats like a 5 year old as well. french fries and chicken nuggets. I've gotten him SLIGHTLY better- but ugh- it's really annoying.
    Whatever- he eats what he wants b/c we don't live together- we have 2 nights that over lap- one night I have rehearsal- so he eats during the day and then I have eggs for dinner- he usually only eats 1x per day. The other night- we go for either steak as a splurge- or mexican for a low key night.

When we eat at home- we usually cook a basic meat and then the sides are kind of a mish-mash- I like veggies- he likes starches. so he makes that- and I make salad/veggies. we cook together and it makes sense. Otherwise it's a none issue the other 5 days of the week.
    God help us when we move in together LOL
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    megbee617 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem (or thought I did). I cooked whatever healthy food I wanted, wouldn't tell him what it was, and he ate it without question. Then later on I'd say "did you know that meal was vegan?" or "could you taste the (insert supposedly hated veggie here)?" He was always shocked and now he'll eat things he swore he always hated!

Genius! Thank you :)
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I remember when the doctor told dad to eat better and lower his cholesterol and such. I worked my butt off trying to find healthy foods to cook that weren't boring. You know what he did? Took two bites and then went and made himself a bowl of cheerios and got a fudge pop and ate those...every night... Finally I gave up.